Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello all,

Has anyone been signed off work before due to exhaustion/stress plus the diabetes on the side too?!

I'm currently working close to 60 hours a week (6 days), 1 full time role and 1 part time - this is due to finances, not out of choice lol! On top of this I am not sleeping well and havn't done for more than a year, averaging about 6 hours a night. It's all become too much now and i'm becoming very forgetful, making mistakes at work and feel extremly overwhelmed. I'm crying most days just because I am so exhausted, and as a result i am leaning more towards comfort foods, smoking more and feeling awful. As a joke my work colleagues are hedging bets on how close I am to a nervous breakdown!!

I went to A&E a few weeks ago with bad heart palpitations and chest pain/tightness which comse and goes but recently I have been feeling them everyday. They also said my blood pressure was high and I was most likely exhausted.

I cannot carry on for much longer and am trying to work out a way I can stop working all these hours without the financial implications hitting me too hard - if I see the GP with all these concerns are they likely to sign me off work for a little while? I feel as though I am at the verge of losing my s**t!

I'm not depressed, just extremly run down and exhausted and stressed!

Thank you.

D

Deleted Account

The only person that can really answer that is your GP. It certainly sounds like you need to sit down with him/her and work out a way forward.

Regarding financial implications, unless your employer has specific sick pay arrangements, the minimum you will receive when signed off is Statutory Sick Pay (SSP). The weekly rate for SSP is £89.35 for up to 28 weeks.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Poor you.
You are on a downward spiral and you need to get off.
The problem is you need to finish the other part time job you need a holiday you need to eat better and quit the fags!!!!
Pausing for thought.

Book some time off work first that will give you something to look forward to.

If you got a sick note off your Doctor you will probably just sag and end up having a meltdown.
Work/life balance is important to everyone but more relevant to anyone suffering with a health condition so this part-time job?
Is it really necessary?
Is it worth risking you mental and physical health?
Only you can answer that..............

During your planned week off make an appointment to see your Doctor and tell them everything and make realistic plans to improve your lifestyle.
I needed medical help to quit the fags but quit the fags i did.
Don't be ashamed to admit it.

Your work colleagues aren't helping either so perhaps discuss with one of your closer ones how you are feeling and i bet you they will rally round and certainly stop making ill timed jokes about your mental state.

I don't know you and its easy for me to give advise from afar but please know i am just trying to help and i wish you all the very best.

Kindest regards

Tony

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Miss90 It sounds like you need a break.. There is only so far you can push your body and there really does come a point when you have to put your health first. Have you spoken to any of your employers about your health condition and your stress levels ? It's a good starting point to see if you work out a more manageable plan, it's not a sign of weakness it is simply being open and honest and you should get support from them to help you cope better.

How are you blood glucose levels managing ?

It would be wise to sit down with your GP, you know you need some support and being able to prioritise health vs wealth. I cannot tell you what to do in regards to smoking or food that's your choice however you know what's best for your body and both are detrimental to your well being, so making good choices is vital despite the stress you are under will help you cope better.

Take care.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Why not stop the fags, therefore a lot of your money problems will be sorted.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your debts are credit card related, you could always look into 0% interest balance transfer cards to help lessen the blown of high interest repayments.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Put your health first though, money is only money - your health is more important that anything else.

Reactions: Struma

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I'm doing that at the moment. Last weeks time sheet was for 59hrs and for the last 9 months all have been about the same. I get out of bed at 3am Monday morning, on the first flight interstate at 5am for 3 days, then to another state for 2 days and back home Friday night at about 10pm, all travel is not counted in that 59hrs and then do a my voluntary job for a day every second weekend. I don't get paid or even thanked for the additional hours (over 38hrs) and all the flying, just don't get too good at your job. I have people chasing me demanding more, if I do stuff up there could be extensive Liquidated Damages (millions a month). The way I handle it is only look at the next week, don't even think about the week after. My biggest problem is Drs appointments especially for insulin, I have come really close running out a few times and Airport security, at one Airport confiscated my insulin, luckily I only had to go without for a little under 2 days, I was pretty sick at the end of it.

I feel your pain and I know you have made me feel much better knowing I'm not the only one, I hope this will be reciprocated. I wish you all the best.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
[QUOTE="Chowie, post: 1521909, member: 36344 I have come really close running out a few times and Airport security, at one Airport confiscated my insulin, luckily I only had to go without for a little under 2 days, I was pretty sick at the end of it..[/QUOTE] First off, how can some bozo in "airport security" confiscate a diabetic's insulin? That can cause death potentially. I'd have that idiot's name and get him fired if it's the last thing I did. Honestly I've dealt with some security people that it would take 3 of to make a half wit. Secondly if you're in the US you can get some types of insulin without a prescription. I don't think you can get the newer brand name stuff like Lantus but you used to be able to get the older animal insulins, regular, NPH, etc. To me it's stupid that you can't get all of them if you want to pay cash, but our FDA laws are a mess.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I'm in Australia. These guys are to dumb to get into the Police. You don't argue with them. To get any insulin, you need a Drs prescription. To get it remotely you need the Dr to fax the prescription and then mail it (scanned and emailed not permitted). It's easier waiting until you get really sick and wandering off to the nearest Emergency Department.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in Australia. These guys are to dumb to get into the Police. You don't argue with them. To get any insulin, you need a Drs prescription. To get it remotely you need the Dr to fax the prescription and then mail it (scanned and emailed not permitted). It's easier waiting until you get really sick and wandering off to the nearest Emergency Department.
Or just walk in not sick to an ED and ask them to write you one please. Tell 'em the dog ate my insulin! You don't pay anything for stuff like that right?

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hello all,

Has anyone been signed off work before due to exhaustion/stress plus the diabetes on the side too?!

No, can't say I've ever taken time off work because of my diabetes.

Sounds like your job is very demanding for just about anyone regardless of medical condition. I used to tour in band a few years back that consisted of a lack of sleep, a lot of physical effort and lack of good foods. Fortunately I was young enough to withstand the pressures and the hectic schedule. Told myself I would not do that again and set out to find a more rewarding career with better hours, better pay that could afford me the time to enjoy life.

I found it, and it was worth it. So that's my suggestion to you, look for a better job, better hours and less stress. If you don't it could potentially be harmful in the long run with or without diabetes.

All the best and good luck!

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thank you all for your replies.

I saw the GP yesterday and she signed me off, plus she's sending me for an ecg and 24 hour heart and blood pressure monitoring as I've been having palpitations and chest pain - probably due to stress, but better be safe than sorry!

Reactions: Brunneria

jjankh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

I'm currently working close to 60 hours a week (6 days), 1 full time role and 1 part time - this is due to finances, not out of choice lol! On top of this I am not sleeping well and havn't done for more than a year, averaging about 6 hours a night. It's all become too much now and i'm becoming very forgetful, making mistakes at work and feel extremly overwhelmed. I'm crying most days just because I am so exhausted, and as a result i am leaning more towards comfort foods, smoking more and feeling awful. As a joke my work colleagues are hedging bets on how close I am to a nervous breakdown!!

I went to A&E a few weeks ago with bad heart palpitations and chest pain/tightness which comse and goes but recently I have been feeling them everyday. They also said my blood pressure was high and I was most likely exhausted.

I cannot carry on for much longer and am trying to work out a way I can stop working all these hours without the financial implications hitting me too hard - if I see the GP with all these concerns are they likely to sign me off work for a little while? I feel as though I am at the verge of losing my s**t!

Thank you.

Well unsure of your financial situation but Credit Unions are very supportive. Finding ways to bring on that 2nd income can be hazardous to your health, find a trust worthy lodger or house mate.
If I could retire now, I would but those bills still need paying. Hate the stress this brings.
Inhale Exhale and take deep breaths as all will come to light for you soon.

Needles!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all,

Thank you.

Needles!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Going through a similar situation at the moment, remember without your health there is nothing else. I can totally understand the almost drunk feeling from exhaustion, I didnt before I had diabetes. So you have explain verbally, let's get it out there so that non sufferers have a better understanding. And shame on those who mock us. One day it may be YOU!