Getting through Easter!

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
noblehead said:
Moser Roth 85% dark chocolate from Aldi stores is delicious and excellent value. There are 5 individual bars per pack, and each bar contains 4g of carbs. Its the best dark chocolate I have come across, well worth a try! :D

Nigel

did you know, you can buy Moser Roth truffles?! Dark choc ones are 3g carb each and milk choc 3.8g carb each. I bought a box of each and 4 packs of the 85% bars for my home made truffles!! You have created a monster :wink: thanks for the tip :D :p

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A word of warning to those that may be recently diagnosed or maybe blissfully unaware.

The diabetic chocolate and Easter eggs that are supposedly better for us to eat by having fewer carbs (which often isn't the case) contain sweeteners that have a laxative effect. In very small quantities they are fine, but eaten in larger amounts you will undoubtedly spend Easter Sunday on the loo.

The standard advice is not to waste your money on these products, which are usually over-priced anyway, and should you wish to indulge buy a high coco product that have fewer carbs, or buy normal chocolate and eat a very small amount over a period of days, always taking into account the carbs when included in your meal/daily allowance.

Hope the above is useful!

Nigel

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
noblehead said:
You'll be pushing the food on to hubby's plate, and the in-laws will think you have finished and must be hungry so will pile your plate back up again!

Oh b****R :? I need a plan B - anyone lend me a dog :lol:

noblehead said:
The standard advice is not to waste your money on these products, which are usually over-priced anyway, and should you wish to indulge buy a high coco product that have fewer carbs, or buy normal chocolate and eat a very small amount over a period of days, always taking into account the carbs when included in your meal/daily allowance.

Great point Nigel

My son and I have just made some little easter eggs with 90% choc - if you havent got a mould use washed out empty egg shells - remember to oil them first, pour the melted choc in and swirl around - you will need to do it about 3 times to build up the layers so they are thick enough (let it set between layers) and when the choc is set just peel off the egg shell - best put in the fridge before you do this to make them hard as possible - oh and I made another sponge! :oops:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Lovinglife,

Are you sure you are who you say you are? :?

I thought it was Nigella Lawson posting there! :lol:

Great idea about using egg-shells though, they should work a treat and your lad will love them too. I remember when I was a boy we use to get paste eggs on Easter Sunday, never seem to see them much nowadays, shame really! :(

Nigel

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ooooh - just had an idea :?: - going to fill my eggs with cheesecake mix - easy to make recipe below - it would make a great easter dessert served in egg cups - 8)

will let you know if it works! -

300 g cream cheese
sugar free jelly
couple tablespoons boiling water
125ml half fat crème fresh

Dissolve the jelly in the water – soften the cream cheese with the crème fresh – mix it all together and pour into the shells – do this after you have peeled the choc egg!

Leave to set in the fridge

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We do paste eggs Nigel - we do "egg dumps"- its a big thing here - all the pubs hold comps and the betting on the winner gets very serious! - life time friendships hve been broken on the crack of an egg! :lol: - my grandfather used to keep two old bantam hens especially for their eggs for dumping. - people boil them in vinegar to make them stronger - all sorts of tricks and "cheats"

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
lovinglife said:
We do paste eggs Nigel - we do "egg dumps"- its a big thing here - all the pubs hold comps and the betting on the winner gets very serious! - life time friendships hve been broken on the crack of an egg! :lol: - my grandfather used to keep two old bantam hens especially for their eggs for dumping. - people boil them in vinegar to make them stronger - all sorts of tricks and "cheats"

That's good to hear then, I am pleased paste eggs are still the norm at Easter in some parts of the country!

Boiling them in vinegar indeed.......................................cheats! :evil: :lol:

Nigel

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update on my filled eggs - they turned out great! - really yummy and tasted very naughty! - they looked really cute in the egg cups- I made far too much cheesecake mix though :roll: - a 1/4 recipe would have been enough - put the rest into glasses and swirled some raspberries through it like a type of mousse thing - well thats my puddings sorted for the weekend anyway plenty of stuff to keep me away from the zabaglione! :lol:

Happy Easter :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
lovinglife said:

And talking of dogs at Easter, chocolate is POISONOUS to most animals, especially dogs so do keep your families Easter eggs away from the family pet. You can buy special dog chocolate from supermarkets and pet shops if you feel you have to 'treat' your dog.

Just a timely reminder :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sid Bonkers said:
lovinglife said:

And talking of dogs at Easter, chocolate is POISONOUS to most animals, especially dogs so do keep your families Easter eggs away from the family pet. You can buy special dog chocolate from supermarkets and pet shops if you feel you have to 'treat' your dog.

Just a timely reminder :D

Tried telling my brother this Sid, always feeding biscuits, cakes and chocs to his dog. I told him that they can't handle sugar, but every-time it falls on deaf ears! :x

Nigel

Cat_Lady

Dislikes
Television, loud people, prunes, hot weather
I've had a similar rreaction when I have tried telling people that cats should not be given cow's milk, Nigel, however diplomatically put some people just can't accept that they are doing something wrong! :shock:

Aubergenie

Dislikes
Weetabix, Twilight, Katherine Jenkins,
I was diagnosed at easter, so I'm used to not eating chocolate. My first easter as a diabetic, my mum took me shopping to cheer me up, a tradition that we've kept up.... poor bank balance. :lol:

I have to say new trousers a size smaller than I normally wear made up for no eggs this year!

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Aubergenie said:
my mum took me shopping to cheer me up, a tradition that we've kept up.... poor bank balance. :lol:

Seems to be a cure-all for most things! :roll: :D