GI Diet - opinions

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ken and Patch in agreement I got a result :lol:
Thanks I am not losing weight at the moment but am stuck at just under 7 stone I am not taking the calogen at the moment because it was giving me awful heartburn which is not good when you are trying to eat as much as possible My latest Hba1c was 6.9 which I think I am going to have to live with at the moment as my cholesterol is ok and I feel quite well and seem to have plenty of energy .Sometimes it is hard to get a balance I feel like I am trying to keep half a dozen plates spinning on poles. But upwards and onwards thanks to this forum and stalwarts like Ken and Patch
CAROL

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You two are incorrigable or you would be if I could spell it :lol:
CAROL

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Actually I'm in the Pub........... :wink:

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
I've just ordered a GI book and a GL. I'm about 6.5 stone overweight and need to get my HBA1c down. I've read that I should eat lots of starchy foods and that I shouldn't eat lots of starchy foods, - so I thought I'd see which is best for me.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ken dont get in-capable Patch dont get in-cognito.
Carol the in-comprehendable

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
OK It's not the glycemic index thats most helpful, it's the glycemic loads of foods that represents a normal amount of that food you would eat. Glycemic index is based on 50 grams of all foods and not too practical. The secret to losing weight is reducing your insulin levels. Long as your insulin is high, you won't lose a pound. If you lower insulin, you can lose a pound a day.

WHEAT IS THE HIGHEST GLYCEMIC FOOD WE COMMONLY EAT at a GI of 72 and table sugar is only 59. Were now consuming an average of a half pound of wheat per person, per day. See the problem?

Go buy the books:
Wheat Belly by William Davis
The Blood Sugar Solution by Mark Hyman
What Makes Us Fat by Gary Taubes

Read these three books and you'll know more than any doctor out there in the UK about diabesity. Actually just one of these would do that...

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
cugila said:
I have also noticed that a person who is a staunch low carber seems to have great difficulty in losing weight......I sometimes wonder if it is the high fat consumption that is to blame although I must admit it seems improbable ? :?
What we would need to know is how a particular LC dieter would do on a comparison diet, such as low-fat,high-carb. Since we can't do the experiment, it's impossible to say.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
. Glycemic index is based on 50 grams of all foods and not too practical.
No the GI is based upon
' a portion of the food containing 50 grams of digestible (available) carbohydrate and then measuring the effect on their blood glucose levels'
http://www.glycemicindex.com/index.php
fifty grams of potatoes would contain only about 10g of carbohydrate.

Whole kernels of wheat (wheat berries, lovely in casseroles and a true 'whole' grain) have a GI of about 30, whole wheat in the form of pasta may have a GI of about 45. Finely ground whole wheat may indeed have a GI in the 70s.

Were now consuming an average of a half pound of wheat per person, per day. See the problem?
I can see that we are eating far less wheat flour than at the beginning of the 20th century so am not convinced that it is a problem per se.
Here is a reply from the house of Commons in 1910
he average annual consumption of wheat per head of the population in the years 1905–8 was 511 lbs. in France and 361 lbs. in the United Kingdom. In these figures wheat flour has been taken at its equivalent in grain
http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/comm ... and-united
(by my calculation that was 1.4lbs a day in France and 0.99lbs a day in the UK)

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
bowell said:
More news

Fatty foods might trigger type 2 diabetes by mimicking the inflammation normally caused by bacteria, viruses and harmful substances such as asbestos.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20369-junk-food-inflammation-may-trigger-diabetes.html
Bowell, please read this:
http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/palmitic-acid-horror-never-ends.html
No one, ever, at any time, has 2mmol/l of isolated palmitate in their bloodstream. A whiff of oleate is completely protective against the evil intentions of a researcher with a block of palmitate when viewed from the bottom of a test tube. It's called physiology.