GIRLS HELP?!

abi-tbh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm due on my period and I'm getting a lot of what I like to call 'comfort food' cravings and I dunno what to do?

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you checked your blood sugar? The hormones can alter your insulin needs quite dramatically so it could be that you are actually dropping and your body is quite rightly asking you to respond.

If it's just a general hormonal reaction that any non-diabetic could get then you have a a couple of options.
1.) Stay strong and resist the craving - easier said than done obviously but we can be stronger than we think sometimes. Try distracting yourself by putting your favorite film or music on, or absorb yourself in a really good book, or give someone a call and chat about anything other than your diabetes and/or yummy food.
2.) Try 'bingeing' on some no/low-carb foods - you may be able to satisfy the craving with something like cheese & meat, or some lower carb snacks - check the Low Carb forum for ideas
3.) If you end up going for the comfort food try to keep it to as little as you can, if you can carb count keep track of how much you're having and inject the right insulin - you will likely spike high but at least should come back down again! And keep testing - this will both help keeping on top of things today, and may be useful for next month if you hit the same problem. And remember there will probably be someone on here who can advise you if you get worried, or if you have an out of hours number for your DSN.

Good luck x

Reactions: 2 people