Giving up coffee???

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I quit coffee in the 1980's due to being told it was causing my headaches. (never drank colas or other caffeine drinks) The headaches disappeared as if by magic. I now only drink decaff once a day, but tea is non-negotiable. I think I would die without my brews.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
If you don't like the idea of giving up coffee, just read this article linked to on that page:

Coffee.JPG

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/mo...dMD&utm_medium=TrendMD&utm_campaign=trendmd_0

NiccyW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm obviously the odd one out here as coffee has a definite effect on my blood sugar control - the only problem is that like the rest of you I hate giving it up! When I have managed to for a while, mainly to help IBS symptoms (yes, it worked for those) I found that my blood sugar control which is often all over the place, evened out nicely and became quite stable. Now I just try to cut down to one or two good cups a day (don't like instant) preferably not with a meal.

susanmackrell

I gave up coffee and carbs when diagnosed with type 2. Nightmare! Had terrible withdrawal symptoms. Not a good idea to give up both at the same time. Anyway missed my caffeine in the mornings so decided to drink it again but switched from tea with milk to coffee and cream. Love my creamy coffee in the morning but must admit that it does raise my blood sugars slightly. In fact, if I have done a lot of exercise and begin to feel a bit shaky, I find that coffee will pep me up. Bad news now is that coffee is upsetting my stomache at the moment as I have a flare up of IBS. Not sure how I will wake up in the morning now. Green tea is nice but doesn't do the same job.

Beating-My-Betes

Recent illness caused me to completely lose any interest in coffee. Had been trying and failing for a long time before that. The good thing was that I was already feeling so bad that it masked the withdrawal symptom, which I have experienced before.

Have had coffee a couple of times over the last couple of weeks, but only when I had an actual need I.e to give me a bit of a boost on days when I didn’t have the motivation for the tasks at hand. But the negative effect on my anxiety was so much clearer after so much time without. I also realised how effective it was as an appetite suppressant. I guess that could be considered a disadvantage of quitting.

Regulation of sleep, however, has been the most apparent and most welcome benefit of being caffeine free.

Horrible drug!

Reactions: ema334

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
I'm not giving up my 1 coffee a day. It's about the only and last thing I'm not giving up for diabetes.

Reactions: Outlier

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
If calories are more than a certain quantity, effect you badly. If calories are lower then it become cause of weakness. So for calculation of your calories, use Starbucks calorie calculator.
Hi and welcome @ema334. You may not get a response from the original poster as this thread goes back to 2017. Useful information though, thank you.

Reactions: cdpm

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am drinking coffee simply because I have it black as have soya milk in tea so think that be better for me ??

• Love
Reactions: ema334

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink black coffee now, though when I first went keto I had it with cream (YUM!) while everything settled down. I love caffeine and it appears to love me. These days I usually drink one pot (2 mugs) of high-octane black coffee, often with a couple of cardamom seeds in the pot (try it - a trick my parents learned in the Middle East - it's just the thing for sharpening the brain) and one mug of adaptogenic coffee, of which latter I have three varieties. Sometimes I have another in the afternoon, depending on how the day spools out.

The takeaway theme is that we are all different. What suits me won't suit everyone. But clearly there is no need to give up coffee/caffeine on a generic say-so.

KeredG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was recently asked by the nurse at my GP's office, how many cups of coffee I drank a day, to which I replied none, and continued with, but if we talk about buckets full about 1 and a half :D just my sense of humour, sorry.

• Funny
Reactions: MissMuffett

jessj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love coffee & enjoy one if I go out & an espresso after a meal. At home, I only normally have a large strong black Senseo coffee at about midnight every day, it never keeps me awake, pain does that, but it does help me drop off to sleep. I've actually just received my order (as can't get the pads in the shops now) & they're all strong & extra strong pads. This time, they had a new one, Dynamite coffee pads & also, ready made zero Dynamite cardboard 'cans'. Looking forward to trying them. Hopefully the latter won't cause too much of a rise in my blood sugar at 1.9g of carbs, will find out this afternoon, as I'll enjoy a taster.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I couldn’t give up coffee. I not only love it with cream (and sometimes butter) but the ritual of measuring out the beans, putting them in the grinder and setting the water to heat to the correct temperature is a joy :happy: