Giving Up On Libre

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
at least for now
I initially found them to be v useful in terms of tracking patterns and, although not totally accurate, close enough to fingerpricks once the time lag is factored in to live with and more importantly pay for
Sadly that has changed
Of my last 5 sensors -
1 had no problems
1 never worked at all
1 was consistently producing readings that were wildly inaccurate (eg 3.1,& 3.3 vs 6.2 & 6.5 on finger prick )
1 fell off at day 10 due to dodgy adhesive
The fifth I managed to knock of getting into my car which was my fault although the glue was also not v adhesive IMO)
Abbot have replaced 2 of these which is fine, but my impression is that quality has suffered massively as the company has rushed to increase supply and meet demand
I still have a few sensors which I plan to use judiciously, but will not be ordering more until / unless I see evidence of things improving
Hopefully the drive to expand the number of CGM devices on the market will also produce more choice and the healthy competition will place a greater pressure for consistent quality onto Abbot

Reactions: MStreet89

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I really sympathize with your arguments. I'm lucky enough to have it on prescription but I still consider whether to continue with it at times. I like to see the in between scan graph, it is interesting, but not much more than that. Hourly finger pricks in volatile times is pretty good IMHO. What is difficult to compete with is the sheer convenience, but , if the difference becomes too much to work with them the convenience has no value.

I've heard from two sources that a new Libre is coming out later this year with lots of things we should like: eg active transmitting of data so alarms will be available. Let's hope so. But accuracy I think will always be an issue just because it ain't testing blood!