Glasgow University Study on remission published in BMJ

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just read a BBC news report this morning,headed"GPs unaware diabetes can be beaten".This is a report published in the BMJ of the study led by Professor Mike Lean from Glasgow University's Human Nutrition Section.The BMJ report is quoted as stating"patients and doctors may be unaware that type 2 diabetes can be reversed,despite recent publicity.It is in everyone's interest to reclassify people with type 2 diabetes when they become non. diabetic.Official guidelines and international consensus for recording diabetes in remission are needed"Has anyone else read/watched this ?Im not tech savvy enough to transfer the whole article here.:happy:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just read a BBC news report this morning,headed"GPs unaware diabetes can be beaten".This is a report published in the BMJ of the study led by Professor Mike Lean from Glasgow University's Human Nutrition Section.The BMJ report is quoted as stating"patients and doctors may be unaware that type 2 diabetes can be reversed,despite recent publicity.It is in everyone's interest to reclassify people with type 2 diabetes when they become non. diabetic.Official guidelines and international consensus for recording diabetes in remission are needed"Has anyone else read/watched this ?Im not tech savvy enough to transfer the whole article here.:happy:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-41256454

Reactions: ziggy_w

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou Mr Pot.I need to have extra IT classes with help from my grand children!!

Reactions: Enclave

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the BBC website you can share to the clipboard and then paste into this forum.

Reactions: Glenmac

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, @Glenmac, for sharing the article.

Definitely an important topic -- unfortunately, they only mention weight loss as a way to putting diabetes into remission, wished they would have included low carb too. Also, some people with diabetes seem to be able to do this, even after a decade or more with diabetes.

Edited for grammar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guzzler

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding is this is part of Professor Taylor's longer term study, following his initial work, based on the Newcastle Diet.

The longer term study is funded by the charity Diabetes UK.

As I understand it, Professor Taylor is due to present initial findings later in the year, the the published work will be early next year.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding is this is part of Professor Taylor's longer term study, following his initial work, based on the Newcastle Diet.

The longer term study is funded by the charity Diabetes UK.

As I understand it, Professor Taylor is due to present initial findings later in the year, the the published work will be early next year.

"This study is a collaboration between Professor Mike Lean, Professor of Human Nutrition at Glasgow University and Professor Roy Taylor, Professor of Medicine and Metabolism at Newcastle University, as the Chief Investigators.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#overview

Reactions: ziggy_w and Glenmac

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes,I agree ziggy,I am low carbing after 16 yrs of type 2 and am seeing unbelievably good results so I'm a little evangelical about diet!However I think that Prof Lean is linked to other universities, Newcastle and Prof Taylor where more research into other aspects of diabetes are being undertaken.I expect it will take time for it all to come together Iv just read other postings Thankyou !

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I do hope that weightloss alone is not the hub of the results but that the methodology of lifestyle change is emphasised. As we know, some people have struggled with weight loss even while lowering their bg. I dislike, intensely, the view taken in the media that T2s fall into one category but envisage that the headlines on release of the findings of ND will oversimplify the 'reversal' of DMT2 as we saw recently with the headline 'Type 2 Diabetes Reversed in Just Two Weeks'.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find the way this is reported on the Beeb very disappointing and counterproductive because the tone is still all about the blame culture 'it's your own fault - you're fat and lazy - you just need to eat less and move more' with no mention of the underlying reasons people are becoming overweight/obese and struggling to lose weight.

Including not even veiled hints about how much 'they/we' are costing the NHS.

The TLDR; advice is to 'avoid getting fat to avoid diabetes' and 'lose weight to get rid of it' and the picture is of someone clearly with fat rolls, with a massive meal on a big plate and sitting slumped on a couch.

Very disappointing.

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with you,Guzzler,it's the the lifestyle change where the emphasis is needed.The trouble with the press is they need attention grabbing headlines."Never been obese woman type 2 diabetes for sixteen years now has dramatic fall in blood sugar levels as she goes into her eighties"... That's me!,......doesn't quite grab your attention.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I think we should take the positive note that this is published in the BMJ, which effectively tells Doctors to take possible reversal seriously, as well as taking into account that by using the term remission they will not loose money. These 2 areas are massive and significant.

Ok so they have thrown their hat behind the Newcastle Diet, which we know can work (I have assumed this is the protocol as Professor Taylor is in the credits). There is no reason why the weight loss can't be lchf as eell as low calorie, should one wish. In context for me I feel this is a moment of significance.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we should take the positive note that this is published in the BMJ, which effectively tells Doctors to take possible reversal seriously, as well as taking into account that by using the term remission they will not loose money. These 2 areas are massive and significant.

Ok so they have thrown their hat behind the Newcastle Diet, which we know can work (I have assumed this is the protocol as Professor Taylor is in the credits). There is no reason why the weight loss can't be lchf as eell as low calorie, should one wish. In context for me I feel this is a moment of significance.

Mbaker, having corresponded with Professor Taylor directly, he doesn't care how people lose their weight, but for his (and any other) study, the conditions need to be strictly controlled, so if the study subjects are using manufactured shakes they will be consuming a defined amount of nutrition in those, then the veg part; 200 cal of veg is quite a lot of veg.

By and large, on that protocol, it'd be easier to ensure compliance than to suggest that someone consume x carbs or y calories a day.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mbaker, having corresponded with Professor Taylor directly, he doesn't care how people lose their weight, but for his (and any other) study, the conditions need to be strictly controlled, so if the study subjects are using manufactured shakes they will be consuming a defined amount of nutrition in those, then the veg part; 200 cal of veg is quite a lot of veg.

By and large, on that protocol, it'd be easier to ensure compliance than to suggest that someone consume x carbs or y calories a day.
I really wish in just one of his interviews or press statements he would say those words. Even in the latest press statement yesterday it still talked about the current protocol.

I intend to start this within the next couple of weeks to get it finished before December and would have loved that to be a statement he was happy to make publically as well as privately.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a controlled study, so it needs to be controlled.

"In the wild" is a bit different. I reckon (OK, speculate) if this becomes an "approved" approach I bet the Michael Mosely (Blood Sugar Diet, which is like the ND, using real food) approach may be considered more palatable.

Later in the month we have an Endo speaking at our monthly DUK meeting (actually he's our President), so I'll be asking him his views on this most recent publicity. A couple of years ago when I asked him, he wasn't too positive about it, but time moves on.

Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Fleegle and Glenmac