GlaxoSmithKline Guilty of Fraud over Avandia!!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I have in the past stood up for 'big pharma' when various conspiracy theories have been put forward but in the case of GSK it would appear to be a case of no smoke without fire.

GlaxoSmithKline have just coughed up $3 bn or £1.9 bn after pleading guilty of promoting two drugs for unapproved uses and failing to report safety data about a diabetes drug (Avandia) to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)

_61310816_010253673-1.jpg

BBC story here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18673220

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
Sid, this corporate corruption has been widespread since before I was born and will continue long after I die. We only hear about their filthy, underhand and dangerous actions when they get caught. In between the "caught" it is "business" as usual.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I'm sure you are right Al, as we are seeing with Barclays Bank at the moment it seems endemic in all big business. I guess I do like to try to see the best in people and would like to think there is still some integrity left in the world, naive of me perhaps but thats the way I am :D

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
I agree Sid. The world is teaming with wonderful, beautiful, kind hearted people with integrity who should be greeted with a smile and a handshake without pre judgement. However, when confronted with power on a scale of “Giant Pharma” it is a definite case of “prove thyself.”

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
We're all doomed.

Big comanies (not just the pharma) won't get away with it for much longer.

Although the "People Who Made Us Fat" may well get what's coming to them. In the same way that the tobacco industry faught for it's survival all those years ago - the companies that plyed us with HFCS are slowly seeing abody of evidence being built up against them.

The wonderful, beautiful, kind hearted people with integrity just need to get organised - there are more of us (if I am one of them :wink: ) than there are of the bug pharma bosses!

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Patch. I sincerely wish I shared your optimism. “More of us” will not translate as mightier unfortunately.

For example: When the masses, from the pit to the pinnacle, agree that a grown man who spends his day kicking an inflated leather ball into a defined gap, most of the time missing the gap, should be rewarded with millions of pounds each year while a nurse who may work up to sixty hours each week should be rewarded with thirty thousand pounds or less, then the battle, for the minds, is over.

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Sid Bonkers said:
I'm sure you are right Al, as we are seeing with Barclays Bank at the moment it seems endemic in all big business. I guess I do like to try to see the best in people and would like to think there is still some integrity left in the world, naive of me perhaps but thats the way I am :D

Don't start me on integrity and Barclays....I work for them and the last couple of days have been awkward and demoralising, I defended them through the market crash, the resultant global recession, even when they had to compensate for PPI mis-selling and the 'misadvice' regarding a particular fund. For four years I defended them and I felt genuinely proud of where I worked until this happened and "mistakes happen"....now I just feel like they're just the same as the rest of them.

All I can say is I can't wait until the other banks have settled and we can move on form this sorry saga. I'm sure this is what has my cold even worse and I'm at home today, however Bob D's resignation will certainly help and appease many, although I doubt anyone will shed a tear, himself included!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Andrew Witty, the firm's chief executive, said procedures for compliance, marketing and selling had been changed at GSK's US unit.

"We have learnt from the mistakes that were made," Mr Witty said. "When necessary, we have removed employees who have engaged in misconduct."

Hopefully they will after this $3bn fine! :)

I don't buy into this ''Big Pharma'' nonsense that is often talked about on diabetes forums and blogs, there's mistakes made and corruption in all industries and it's up to the regulators and governments to bring them to account. I've seen what a difference drugs can make at saving people's lives having been in intensive care with both of my parents and other family members....therefore I'm always grateful that money and research is still ongoing into finding better treatment and cures for condition and illnesses that rob us of our loved ones or shorten their lives.