Gliclazide dose too high?

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
Good evening and hope everyone is well and having a good day. Two weeks ago my gliclazide was doubled from 80mg twice a day up to 160 mg twice a day. After food I have tested and bloods going lower and sometimes having to have another snack to bring them up ad going ad low ad 2.8 and 3.2 after meals. Tonight I had a carb heavy meal to see what would happen. My bloods were 5.0 before hand then I had mash potato fish fingers and beans along with my nephew as he was visiting. Two hours later my bloods were 5.1, barely risen. I think possibly my meds now too high, what do you think?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you asking if your meds are too high because your blood sugar was back to where it started 2-hrs after a meal? That's EXACTLY how your meds should be working.

The 2.8 and 3.2 are a bit of a pause for concern though.

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
Are you asking if your meds are too high because your blood sugar was back to where it started 2-hrs after a meal? That's EXACTLY how your meds should be working.

The 2.8 and 3.2 are a bit of a pause for concern though.
Sorry no it is with the 2.8 and 3.2, but h that has not happened for a couple of days so maybe my body adjusting to new dosage. Thank you for your reply, just trying to get to grips with new dosage.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Bear in mind that Gliclazide works for up to 10 hours so some people take it up to 30 mins before a meal and it will, of course, be working past the 2 hour point. Do some meter tests several hours after a meal to check the profile?

Reactions: 2 people

DominicLaiYew

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list
Good evening and hope everyone is well and having a good day. Two weeks ago my gliclazide was doubled from 80mg twice a day up to 160 mg twice a day. After food I have tested and bloods going lower and sometimes having to have another snack to bring them up ad going ad low ad 2.8 and 3.2 after meals. Tonight I had a carb heavy meal to see what would happen. My bloods were 5.0 before hand then I had mash potato fish fingers and beans along with my nephew as he was visiting. Two hours later my bloods were 5.1, barely risen. I think possibly my meds now too high, what do you think?
Hello there!
I am amazed that your doctor put you on the maximum dosage 320 mg, did he say why?
Just switched myself from Mets 500 mg twice daily to Diamicron 80 mg (once daily) & my BG responded better to this!!
& i was experimenting myself
Making me wonder if my doctor actually know what they are doing..
Nice to share with you

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
Hello there!
I am amazed that your doctor put you on the maximum dosage 320 mg, did he say why?
Just switched myself from Mets 500 mg twice daily to Diamicron 80 mg (once daily) & my BG responded better to this!!
& i was experimenting myself
Making me wonder if my doctor actually know what they are doing..
Nice to share with you
I was on 80mg twice daily and I went through a rough patch for a few months. I didn't take any medication, and ate a lot of rubbish foods that I knew I shouldn't. I then realised that I couldn't carry on doing what I was doing and went to docs who retested my bloods. HBA1C levels were high and he then uped it to the max dose. I did think it was a bit peculiar as he knew I hadn't been taking any medication for months and thought he would have said we will wait and see what my next results are when taking my meds regular, but he must have thought they were too high and the dosage I was on previously would not have lowered them enough maybe. X

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hi kjc2011, I think the dose is high, but I don't know why your dr. doubled 80mg. Perhaps you have been on the initial 80mg or even 40mg (esp. if metformin is added) for a long time, and is now past and you have reached 10 or 15 years on the first dose. Otherwise I would be cautious about hypoglycemia. Weight is also a variable. You can always report hypos at that 160mg dose to your dr.