Gliclazide - Shortness Of Breath

Micks Grill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been Type 2 for about 6 years - good and bad days but more recently a lack of exercise due to Sciatica in the ankles (I know, weird) - I also have Mild COPD. Basically , apart from a "smokers cough" it doesnt bother me.

I was put on Gliclazide by my GP a month ago as my hba1c wasnt great, for the first 3 weeks it felt like I was having constant Hypers (fatigue, hot flushes, brain fog) but my sugars were around av 6.8. For the last week I am now really fatigued but also now my breathing is short.

Went back to the GP (saw a different doctor) 2 days ago, checked my blood oxygen and lungs, no sign of infection (so not a "COPD flare up" (which I have never had ) , they seemed to think it may be viral.

As this wasnt my regular Doctor I never questioned if it could be the Gliclazide (actually I never thought about it until I got back home) but doing the usual "Google everything" I saw all sorts of conflicting articles about Gliclazide side affects relating to breathing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If I were in your shoes I would check with my own GP but seeing that an appointment might be days/weeks away I suggest you ring the NHS advice line on 111. It may not be a side effect of the Glic but if there has been no improvement then it would be wise to get advice from a medic. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you are on insulin I think you will find you shouldn't also be taking Gliclazide? Query this with the GP as Gliclazide stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin and as you are taking it you shouldn't need the pills and any side-effects they may cause. Do, of course, check this out with the GP before stopping the pills.