Glucagon

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I just placed a repeat prescription for glucagon and the chemist is saying they couldn't order it from their supplier. Has anyone had similar difficulties? I've googled the exact name (glycagen hypokit) and can't find any notices saying it's been discontinued.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
GlucaGen® HypoKit (Novo Nordisk)
Injection , powder for reconstitution, glucagon (rys) as hydrochloride with lactose, net price 1-mg vial with prefilled syringe containing water for injection = £11.52 nett

It is listed in the BNF59 2010.

Go to another Pharmacist with the prescription as this one is ovbviously too idle to order it. He supplies prescription medications.....therefore he should order it for you. Part of the service at any Pharmacy.

Ken

Zoroaster

Dislikes
Not very much
This Medical News Today story from the beginning of August might shed some light on the availability or otherwise of Novo Nordisk's GlucaGen HypoKit.

European stocks of GlucaGen injections have been limited due to a manufacturing process problem that has now been resolved.

Despite there being a shortage in Europe, Novo Nordisk has assured Diabetes UK it does have stock in its UK warehouse.

As a precautionary measure Novo Nordisk is limiting supply to wholesalers to prevent inadvertent depletion of stocks.

Stock will not be sold to wholesalers, but kept in reserve to supply against patient prescriptions should the need arise.

It is not anticipated to take longer than a few months for Novo Nordisk to replenish their stockpiles.

So, rather than just being an idle pharmacist, it might just be a pharmacist who's aware that there's an supply chain issue.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/196392.php

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Thank you so much for updating us with the information. We always are keen to hear from members who can help us keep things accurate and up to date. That's very helpful. It's a pity you weren't around to help the member out........busy lives we all lead !

From the link you posted........
Despite there being a shortage in Europe, Novo Nordisk has assured Diabetes UK it does have stock in its UK warehouse.

Also this from your link !
Any dispensing points requiring a direct order service from Novo Nordisk because their supplier cannot send them stocks should contact Novo Nordisk directly on their customer Careline - 0845 600 5055.

Novo Nordisk has confirmed they are able to meet demand in the UK at present.

So, whether he/she was idle or not really is immaterial. There was a clear and simple procedure in place to allow any dispensing Chemist to obtain supplies. Apparently the Pharmacist didn't tell the OP about that. Is that idleness.......you tell me.

Ken

jopar

I just picked up 2 glucagon kits from my chemist without any problems at all... No mention to any shortages, and every time I've had to replace a kit which so far as been due to old kit expirey date expiering, the chemist has always had the in stock!

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
They did tell me eventually about the problem but told me that the suppliers refused to confirm to them whether they had the item or not until the delivery came! Since I have a good relationship with this chemist I decided to wait it out.