Glucokinase/Symptoms

clingclang

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Other
Hi everyone,

I've finally seen a consultant regarding my diagnosis of diabetes today but have left with more questions unanswered than answered really. Feeling really fed up and down if I'm being honest, the consultant suggested that I had glucokinase Mody but has ordered the genetic test to confirm this. She told me that as patients with glucokinase do not experience symptoms that maybe my excessive thirst, frequent urination and fatigue could be caused by something else. This has obviously left me even more confused and wasn't something she could particularly answer, so I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas? Or if anyone had been through something similar?

My understanding is it is a good thing if it is glucokinase, but would really just like to sort this out once and for all really. I've got another appointment for in two months with the consultant and in the mean time I'm going to return to my GP to see what they suggest regarding the symptoms. Just wanted some ideas before I can get an appointment. Thank you!

Also I was wondering what a non diabetic's fasting blood sugar should be? I've seen lots of different answers online and I just wanted a clearer idea as I was under the impression that fasting should be between 4 and 7, my fasting blood sugar has never been above 6.6, usually between 5.7 and 6.6, but usually on the lower side of this which I have always believed to be okay. The consultant said this was high? Just very confused!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I won't answer the question on glucokinase.

I am in ketosis, and am not diabetic. I have Reactive hypoglycaemia.
For me, normal blood glucose levels range from between 3.7 and 6.0 mmols.
But some can live normally just below or just above.

Your symptoms that you describe are usually attributed to high blood glucose levels.
Until you know what is causing this level of glucose, the only thing you can do is try and do something about lowering your levels.
If you have a blood glucose monitor, you can then find out why, what foods do to you.
The usual suspects are carbs and sugars.

If you do have MODY, then your GP may not have the knowledge how to treat it properly. There is a forum on this website.
Or maybe, someone will answer the other questions.
I will tag @Kristin251 as she has experience of this!

clingclang

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for the clarification regarding blood sugar levels, so it would suggest that mine are very slightly elevated?

I did have a meter and found that things like pasta and chips would send my blood sugars high, so I'm trying to avoid them but have found it difficult thus far! Especially after seeing the consultant yesterday, the need for chocolate was very real at that point (although I didn't end up having any!). The consultant said that there is a 75% chance I do have Mody and she is fairly certain it is glucokinase based on my GTT and fasting levels, although she said if I had glucokinase I wouldn't need to change my diet at all which seemed strange to me.

biochemmama

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there. 6 members of my family have GCK-MODY. I have those that urinate frequently, get excessively thirsty and get fatigued. I am a biochemist and live with this everyday. Your consultant is saying that because, for some glucokinase-MODY people, there are no real issues. We find that our children (and hubby) do okay in a very narrow range. They are on the lower end of fasting (around 6.3). If they get to 5.5 they are low and they certainly feel highs as well. Do you also have any issues with your digestive health. I would love to hear what your actual mutation is. We do not seem to fit into the main glucokinase-MODY phenotype and I think there is a reason for it. When the first family member was diagnosed, we were told we did not have to restrict carbs, but not doing so caused lots of issues. I also have those who self-restrict carbs. My 10 year old is especially good at this.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Also I was wondering what a non diabetic's fasting blood sugar should be? I've seen lots of different answers online and I just wanted a clearer idea as I was under the impression that fasting should be between 4 and 7, my fasting blood sugar has never been above 6.6, usually between 5.7 and 6.6, but usually on the lower side of this which I have always believed to be okay. The consultant said this was high? Just very confused!

Just to answer your question on fasting levels, not MODY or anything else you mention.

Normal fasting levels for non-diabetics is 4 to 5.9.

The 4 to 7 you quote are the figures used for diagnosis - 7 and above is a marker for diabetes.

It seems your fasting levels put you in the pre-diabetic range.

Nutloop

I have also been diagnosed with this and have recently been to see an Ayurvedic doctor. I have been prescribed a variety of herbs and am really delighted to say after only 2 weeks they are working. I am testing blood sugar 8x a day and it’s down 20% And I feel great. I am not a medic so can not advise properly but do look up the benefits of gurmar leaf. The German nhs have tested and are introducing it. Also turmeric. Definitely better than drugs with horrible side effects. Does anyone else notice blood sugar rises without daily exercise?