glucose and insulin test - Reactive hypoglycemia ?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This latest presentation by Stephen Cunnane gives additional insights into brain metabolism. And I believe we can harness this insight to dampen the effects of RH.

Reactions: Pirkar

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Derek,
Hope you are well.
It's all to do with that first insulin response.
My insulin response is just as you describe, only turns on, after carbs. No carbs, no excess insulin. The avalanche insulin response is a great description of what my endo called an overshoot. It is actually termed as an overshoot!
I don't believe that hba1c is a determining factor because it only confirms non diabetic state. If you don't have T2, with RH, then normal levels are the norm, and being in normal levels consistently, or in ketosis, or fasting, your blood levels and hba1c is only gonna be in normal levels.
Unless, you are still trying to lower your circulating insulin levels, your insulin resistance and because of these factors your blood levels could be higher than normal. Then your Hba1c levels will be higher, as mine were.
Also, depending on your tolerance or insulin response to other foods such as fruit, dairy and even chicken. Plus too much protein can be just as bad, if you don't get that balance right.
From my experience, of which we can only go on, as there are no real experts, that I have come across, even during discussion with my endocrinologist, he has been surprised, how his thinking and knowledge has been changed over these last five years.
My intermittent fasting, is indiscriminate. Because I'm sometimes don't know what time I will be eating. Or travelling, if I'm off work, I usually leave it till 3pm (ish) and have a couple or three small meals that day.

I've not been in a position to put weight on yet, still trying to get under 12 stone for quite a while, it seems it doesn't matter how much I eat or work, walk and so on, it just won't go under! But I'm not too unhappy with that.
I can have a cooked breakfast and like you, won't eat again for about seven or eight hours.
It's weird!

Best wishes mate.

I am fine.
Hope you and your wife are ok Lamont?

I have an hernia operation and my second cataract removal coming up and not looking forward to the hernia operation!
I got the hernia five years ago through falling down several times when I was walking or working in the garden and had hypos. Luckily hypos are all in the past, thanks to you guys.
ATB
Derek

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am fine.

I have an hernia operation and my second cataract removal coming up and not looking forward to the hernia operation!
I got the hernia five years ago through falling down several times when I was walking or working in the garden and had hypos. Luckily hypos are all in the past, thanks to you guys.
ATB
Derek

Ooh, hope both ops go well and your recovery is smooth.
And goodness, hypos causing hernias. That is so unbelievably randomly unfair!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am fine.

ATB
Derek

I wish you all the best for your ops mate.
Glad the hypos have gone, I believe that the hernia is a warning to get yourself sorted out. Like a kick up the .......!
The wife's a bit down at the moment despite doing better with the new meds she is on. The doc is hopeful she can come off most of her T2 meds soon. It's really difficult because of the lack of exercise and the continuous pain.
I'm just busy mate, my job is keeping me away from the wife too much and with Christmas coming up and all the fixtures over the period it's going to take a lot of my time.
Let us know how you get on mate!

All the very best!

KarenTh

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have realised that what you are going through is a food issue and once you have a glucometer, please keep trying to understand why the crashes happen.
Use the glucometer well and it will be your best friend to get a better healthier lifestyle.

I have written a blog on the blog forum on this website about my journey to getting my life back and my health.
Hope you enjoy it.
My first Christmas with RA was interesting! Could you possibly send me the link to your blog? I think it will be a huge help. Hope you had a good Christmas and best wishes for a healthy 2019.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Go to my post, click on my avatars, a list should come up, click on my blogs or Lamont d blogs., ill just try it works!
Yeah it works.
My first Christmas with RA was interesting! Could you possibly send me the link to your blog? I think it will be a huge help. Hope you had a good Christmas and best wishes for a healthy 2019.

My Christmas lunch was turkey, a few peas, pigs in blankets, a stuffing ball and a trickle of gravy (bad lad!)
Made up with it, in the evening with gammon joint, pickled cucumber and onion, some rocket and baby spinach leaves.
Had some dark chocolate before bed. Not too much had to go to work Boxing day!

Was Santa kind to you?
Best wishes,

Reactions: KarenTh

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Go to my post, click on my avatars, a list should come up, click on my blogs or Lamont d blogs., ill just try it works!
Yeah it works.

My Christmas lunch was turkey, a few peas, pigs in blankets, a stuffing ball and a trickle of gravy (bad lad!)
Made up with it, in the evening with gammon joint, pickled cucumber and onion, some rocket and baby spinach leaves.
Had some dark chocolate before bed. Not too much had to go to work Boxing day!

Was Santa kind to you?
Best wishes,

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yo

Hi Lamont, I was very envious of your Xmas Day food compared to my milkshakes and my homemade broccoli and stilton soup.

As long as it is healthy for you, no worries!
We all have different tastes.
Boy, would I love a milkshake! (With ice cream and real fruit in, especially strawberry!)