1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Glucose Meter Redesign Survey

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Dousan Miao, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Dousan Miao

Dousan Miao Researcher · Newbie

Hello!
    I am a product design researcher from Brunel University. I would like to identify exsisting problems on the current design of the glucosemeter and redesign it. Please note that core technology of the glucosemeter cannot be changed as it its under FDA regulations (e.g. making the process non-invasive)

PART 1: SURVEY
    Please take 1 minute to complete this survey!

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/YDNQSWH

PART 2: SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE
    Feel free to share any ideas or experience you had that you think can be solved in a redesign.Try to think about the user experience of the process, here are a few example areas you can look into:
    1. Do you feel clumsy carrying all these devices?
    2. Do you carry AAA batteries around becasue your glucosemeter run out of batteries sometimes?
    3. Are the buttons on your glucose meter confusing to use?

#1 Dousan Miao, Oct 19, 2017 at 3:27 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2017
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

3. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi @Dousan Miao - interesting survey. I have to call you out on a couple of things though. Your question seven is more relevant to Type 2 than Type 1 (even though we know about the law of small numbers), and question eight should really have an "I don't mind" option.

I'd be interested to understand your experience of using these types of devices, as your secondary questions assume a number of things that I wouldn't expect those with use experience of these meters would ask.

Have you done any kind of evaluation of a range of meters that are currently on the market to review the variety (and it's quite wide) of what's on offer? If not, I'd suggest you check out an Ascensia Contour Next One, an Accuchek Aviva Expert, an Accuchek Nano, a Dario and an Abbott Insulinx as a starter set. There are many, many more but these are some of the common ones, and you'll see that they encompass many different design features.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. meandmaboy

meandmaboy Type 2 · Member

5. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

6. HelenHak

HelenHak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

7. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Done,

Firstly for most people with Type2 they need to test often, to begin with, to learn what food they can eat, and then don't need to test match. Hence the meter is a learning tool, unlike with Type1 (and a few Type2) when the meter is used to decide how much insulin to take.

A meter someone is given on day one and told how to use (before meals, 2hr after meal, learn what not to eat) is of a lot more benefits then a "better" meter they don't get for a few weeks.

The best improvement to the meter I have would be to have a copy of the leaflets from https://phcuk.org/sugar/ included in the case, along with a booklet on how to use the meter to learn what to eat/drink.

Cheaper the meter + test strips is to the NHS more people will be allowed one, hence only a redesign that reduces cost would benefit most people with type2.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I don’t know about other meters but my Code Free uses one CR2032 flat disc type battery, so a spare fits in the meter case very easily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ringi

I don't even have a spare battery as the meter will warn me when it is getting low, and I can then order a new one. As I use the meter to learn what I can eat, my life does not depend on it working all the time......

After all, if needed Amazon would get a new meter to me in under one day wherever I am likely to be in the world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Kentoldlady1

Kentoldlady1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Done. As already said, t1s and insulin using t2s use the metre for different things. I dont use it as much now as I did even a couple of weeks ago, and wanted to put meals and end of day etc, but couldn't. It is not really a big deal if I go out for a meal without it.
    And I find the metre very easy to use. It would be the core things I would want to change. And to be available on prescription. I am lucky and can afford it, but it does work out very expensive.

11. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

1: No.
    2: I have a packet of 2032 batteries in my meter case.
    3: No, how can you get confused with two buttons on the Freedom Lite meter.

I did the survey for what it's worth.

12. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

13. Hammer1964

Hammer1964 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

14. catapillar

catapillar Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Dousan Miao isnt Brunel university a university in London? If so, why are you talking about FDA regulations, the Food and Drug Administration is a US regulatory body that doesn't regulate anything in the UK. Regulations concerning CE marks might be more applicable, if your redesign is going to be constrained by regulations it's probably worth checking what regulations...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh no! My meter has three buttons, how do I cope?! :wideyed::facepalm:

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

My Accu-Chek Performa has three as well, it is a worry... :arghh:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

So does my Accu Chek Mobile - one to make it work and 2 direction arrows. Not rocket science.

18. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I had to rtm to find out which way the direction arrows work on the Performa as well.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. ringi

My meter has 3 buttons, but to take a reading I just put a test strip in, the meter turns itself on and displays the result when I put the blood on. So for normal usage, there is no need for anyone to know what the buttons do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook