Glucose

Little chef

Over the last couple of days my glucose have been high this morning after eating a weetabix 2hrs later my blood was showing 10.5 so I don't know what is going on, I'm on a diet controled and being careful what I eat any advice please.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Over the last couple of days my glucose have been high this morning after eating a weetabix 2hrs later my blood was showing 10.5 so I don't know what is going on, I'm on a diet controled and being careful what I eat any advice please.

It's the weetabix! You say you are diet controlled and you eat carefully, but weetabix is high carb and will send your levels up, what were your levels like before you ate it?. What is a typical days food for you? x

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Ditch the wheetabix... it's doing you no favours. If you've been told it's okay to eat it, ditch that advice too.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Little chef are you testing your tolerance to different foods.
Generally, when we have diabetes our bodies are not able to tolerate carbohydrates.
However, the amount of carbs we can tolerate varies a lot between us.
So, frequent advice is to test before easting and then 2 hours after. If your blood sugars rise more than 2mmol/l between the readings, it is likely that you can not tolerate the food you have eaten. When first diagnosed, it is a good idea to keep a note of teh affect different foods have on your blood sugars in this way and adapt your diet accordingly.

As other have stated, weetabix are high in carbs, therefore, many people with diabetes find that they are unable to tolerate them.

The other thing to consider in the morning is Dawn Phenomenon and/or Foot on the Floor. THis is where our livers helpfully flood our body with glucose at the start of the day to give us energy to get moving. Due to this, it is common that people with diabetes are able to tolerate less carbs first thing in the day.

Reactions: Christina55

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to eat Weetabix but it would spike my sugars to 18+. Might as well have a bar of chocolate for breakfast lol. If I go hypo then 1/2 a Weetabix which is about 6-7 grams of carbs works nicely.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Just checking, but you are T2 diabetic? How long have you been diagnosed? If the spike from the weetabix is new then there are a few possibilities including
1) You are coming down with an infection which will spike your levels
2) As a T2 then the carbs in the weetabic is too much for you to cope with (your insulin resistance has increased and/or your insulin production has lowered).
3) You are slow onset T1 (LADA) and should get cpeptide and GAD tests to check the diagnosis.

But honestly, 2 days isn't enough to draw any conclusions. (Speaking as a T1 whose insulin needs can change just because I'm wearing the wrong colour of socks :):):)).

Reactions: Christina55