Glycaemic Index/Low Carb high fat Diet

Saur

Members please confirm which diet gives better results for pre diabetes. Is possible to mix both the diets.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Members please confirm which diet gives better results for pre diabetes. Is possible to mix both the diets.

The only way for you to know what works for you is to test what you eat. The GI thing is very complicated too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I'd go for LCHF and see how it works for you..
GI I find not very helpful for me.
Keto is best for most.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I guess eating wholegrain toast might be an improvement on a doughnut. It depends on where you are now in terms of your diet.
Working with pre diabetics right now though not a clinician so my usual advice is to go for a change you can make consistently rather than going straight off the deep end - maybe 1 meal at a time.
However I would say that low gi and keto are NOT on the same spectrum; the former involves lots of starch (which turns into glucose whether it is a doughnut or a bowl of porridge) so won't turn your insulin resistance around whereas the latter, or lower carb, is proven to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: HSSS

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
However I would say that low gi and keto are NOT on the same spectrum; the latter involves lots of starch (which turns into glucose whether it is a doughnut or a bowl of porridge) so won't turn your insulin resistance around whereas the latter, or lower carb, is proven to do so.

Is there a typo in that? You seem to be saying keto involves a lot of starch! I'm sure you don't mean that. ;)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
When it comes to head to heads like carb diets win in the overwhelming amount of cases. By win I mean on weight loss, metabolic rate and most bio markers apart from LDL.

Low calorie diets can catch up on the weight loss side at around a year in some cases, but they tend to have higher Trigs and lower HDL.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been told all about low GI diets - my insides are obviously far too efficient in digesting whatever I eat, as nothing seems to slow down the rate of increase in blood glucose.