Glycemic and Insulin Response

jammy1988

I've read quite a bit about both the glycemic and insulin responses observed when certain types of food are eaten. My question concerns which should be the priority when trying to prevent the onset of diabetes? Is the aim to reduce the glycemic response as much as possible or to reduce the insulin response? For example, there are some foods which have a low GI, but a higher insulin index - so while you may notice a lower BG peak, your pancreas is actually doing quite a lot of work. Whereas if you ate something with a slightly higher GI than insulin index, you're not going to be over-exerting your pancreas, but you will see a higher BG level.

I know in most cases high GI foods have a high insulin index too, in which case they're best avoided. But high protein foods, while they have low GIs, often have high insulin responses. Indeed, I read one study which saw an increase in average insulin levels among subjects on a high protein/low carb diet compared to those on a more balanced one.

Grazer

Hi jammy!
Can I just clarify something that might be relevant in any answers? Your profile says you are male, and your relation to diabetes is "gestational"
So is it your partner you are enquiring about? I don't wish to be nosey, but advice to a pregnant women might be very different to that to a man. Are you diabetic yourself, or just worried about it?

jammy1988

Grazer said:
Hi jammy!
Can I just clarify something that might be relevant in any answers? Your profile says you are male, and your relation to diabetes is "gestational"
So is it your partner you are enquiring about? I don't wish to be nosey, but advice to a pregnant women might be very different to that to a man. Are you diabetic yourself, or just worried about it?

Hi,

Sorry, not sure why it said that - I'm just a concerned non-diabetic.