going blind

Ruth3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I would get into trouble if I told you, but I am a red. I support dogs donkeys birds Palestine and Rspca.
I went to my options on Thursday and he says I have rapidly developing cataracts in both eyes and will be blind in a year. I also have a minor amount of diabetic retinopathy in 1 eye. He told me not to buy new glasses because my prescription is changing so rapidly.
I have noticed my glasses don't help me with small text, and I keep cleaning my glasses thinking they are dirty.
I have diabetes 1 and 1/2 according to the diabetes nurse I first had. I also have a lot of other health issues which together may make it difficult to have an op.
Does blindness usually develop with such speed. :cry:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Ruth3 said:
I went to my options on Thursday and he says I have rapidly developing cataracts in both eyes and will be blind in a year. I also have a minor amount of diabetic retinopathy in 1 eye. He told me not to buy new glasses because my prescription is changing so rapidly.
I have noticed my glasses don't help me with small text, and I keep cleaning my glasses thinking they are dirty.
I have diabetes 1 and 1/2 according to the diabetes nurse I first had. I also have a lot of other health issues which together may make it difficult to have an op.

Hi Ruth, oh you poor thing, the best person to ask is an eye professional. Are you under any Hospital eye consultant and how long have you had diabetes for ? ( hope you don't mind me asking)

I have big problems with my right eye, Diabetic retinopathy and a Cataract in the same eye, I too saw my Optician a couple of weeks ago because of a lovely Boots eye advisor who saw blood in my eye and asked me if I would like to be seen the next day, and I said yes. The optomologist found a few things wrong. But the Opticians do seem to be over cautious when they see something abnormal in the eye, which, is a good thing because we can then be referred to the correct department. I too have other health issues, but try not to worry too much, you need a proper diagnosis regarding the condition of your eye, have you been referred to anyone yet, if not go and see your GP with your concerns. How are your blood glucose readings? because we need to keep them steady and in a good range.

I hope things work you for you.

With very best wishes RRB :)

Ruth3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I would get into trouble if I told you, but I am a red. I support dogs donkeys birds Palestine and Rspca.
I have to see my nurse next month,1st time in years, so will tackle him on retinopathy. Was seeing my GP about 2 new diseases a student GP added to my repertoire, but the optician said to see her for referral to eye clinic. Recently my blood glucose has been all over the place as I have had a string of mouth abscesses. I am waiting for an offending tooth root to be removed in the hospital as I am a bleeder.
I am sorry you too have eye issues but it is helpful to know there are others.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ruth. My heart goes out to you. What a terrible diagnosis. My friends mother had two cataracts and other health issues creating difficulty with ops but she had both eyes does in January tg so there is hope. I'm in Ireland and because of recession eye tests are every 18 months instead of 12. Decided last week to go privately (€70) on Saturday a big black spot appeared just to the right of central vision and keeps changing shape and because its a bank holiday here I have to wait until tomorrow to get an appointment. I'm trying not to freak out about it. I sincerely hope that you can get this treated. Stay strong

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Ruth3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hope your big black spot is just some junk floating about. :thumbup:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Ruth you do sound fed up and I dont blame you one bit but cataracts are common and easily treated.

This is from the Wiki Page on Cataracts.

Cataract removal can be performed at any stage and no longer requires ripening of the lens. Surgery is usually 'outpatient' and performed using local anesthesia. Approximately 90% of patients can achieve a corrected vision of 20/40 or better after surgery.

Link to the page with more information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cataract
The only downside is there is often a long wait for NHS cataract treatment.

And minor retinopathy is as the name suggests minor and whilst not good news to be told lots of diabetics will have background or minor retinopathy at some point and probably the best thing for you to do to reduce the possibility of it becoming worse is to get better control of your bg levels as it is usually associated with high bg levels so have a chat with your doctor about both your diabetes control and the possibility of NHS treatment for your cataracts.

Good luck

Ruth3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thank you I must say the replies I am getting give me more hope than I had. :thumbup:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thundercat said:
Hi Ruth. My heart goes out to you. What a terrible diagnosis. My friends mother had two cataracts and other health issues creating difficulty with ops but she had both eyes does in January tg so there is hope. I'm in Ireland and because of recession eye tests are every 18 months instead of 12. Decided last week to go privately (€70) on Saturday a big black spot appeared just to the right of central vision and keeps changing shape and because its a bank holiday here I have to wait until tomorrow to get an appointment. I'm trying not to freak out about it. I sincerely hope that you can get t :) his treated. Stay strong

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Good luck with your eye Thundercat, I hope its something that can be treated quickly and is not too 'serious'. Sending lots of good wishes and positive thoughts .

RRB :)

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ruth

I agree with Sid here - I've had one cataract operation and am having the second eye done in July. My vision is now perfect in the operated eye 20/20 :) Also there wasn't a long wait for me. I was in the clinic last Friday and they offered to do the operation on 12th June, but I had to postpone as I was going away for a short while.

I also had laser treatment for retinopathy back in the late 90s and whilst I have lost a little of my peripheral vision, it stabilised the retinopathy and there have been no signs of it coming back since then.

You will need to be referred to an eye clinic, but please try not to worry about going blind as it sounds unlikely on the basis of what you have described above.

All the best

Robert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ruth3 said:

Hello again Ruth

I just wanted to add that Cataracts are an aging process too, over 65's will have cataracts to some degree and over 75's will have some visual impairment due to Cataracts. Diabetic Retinopathy can also be due to the length of years that you have diabetes. The longer you have diabetes the more at risk you are of developing Cataracts and Retinopathy. Some people will get eye problems, even with good to excellent control and some others will get very little eye problems with an erratic control.

Keep your chin up and there are always members with the same problem or with some other helpful advice.

Take care RRB :)