Going from pump to mdi

Jodie1154

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i just wondering as anyone gone from pump to mdi and did it help your blood sugars to go back to normal

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Jodie1154

Curious to ask why you are going back ? I've found using a pump easier to manage my BG levels and have bought my HbA1c down to it's lowest every at 42, it's taken some work to get here, but I wouldn't go back to injections so hence my curiosity in asking.

D

Deleted Account

I had a forced return to MDI when my pump broke and was glad to get my replacement pump.
I guess it depends why you are having problems with the pump.

I struggled with my temporary MDI because
- I am a heavy user of the temporary basal for exercise so with MDI I was hypoing more often.
- I use small amounts of bolus so found it frustrating that the smallest bolus I could inject was 1 whole unit
- As I was forced on to MDI, I had to take my daily basal injection as soon as the pump failed. This was at something like 3pm which was an inconvenient time to need to remember to inject basal. If I chose to remove the pump, I would time it so my basal would be at a sensible time.

Reactions: EllieM

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Personally no but I do know of a good few people on twitter who did this as the stress the pump was causing was too much. That might be the platform to get diff viewpoints on that. :)

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had a forced return to MDI when my pump broke and was glad to get my replacement pump.
I guess it depends why you are having problems with the pump.

I struggled with my temporary MDI because
- I am a heavy user of the temporary basal for exercise so with MDI I was hypoing more often.
- I use small amounts of bolus so found it frustrating that the smallest bolus I could inject was 1 whole unit
- As I was forced on to MDI, I had to take my daily basal injection as soon as the pump failed. This was at something like 3pm which was an inconvenient time to need to remember to inject basal. If I chose to remove the pump, I would time it so my basal would be at a sensible time.

Helen, for future reference, you can get half-unit pens, for the NovoRapid cartridges at least. They might be marked as for children.