Going on Holiday - Airport stress!

Brookemurph

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I’m due to fly in a weeks time and now super stressed about security and all the scanners etc!

Now I know that the libre I am wearing can only go through the metal detector and not the full body scanner.
What I’m worried about is my spare sensors in my medical bag. When I get to the security conveyor, what do I need to take out of the bag into the tray? Do I need to take out my insulin andor my spare libre 2 boxes separately?

I’ve read so much conflicting information as to whether the libres still in the box can go through the little bag x-ray scanner?

I don’t intend on declaring my health condition till challenged but want to make sure I make it through with my spare sensors intact!
Thanks so much for the help!

Reactions: RickV

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My Libre have been through full body scanner when worn and the x-ray conveyor in the box with no problems on many occasions.
I do not believe there is anything to be stressed about.

However, as with any trip, you must make sure you have sufficient test strips in case your Libre fails. This includes if your body rejects the Libre and you cannot wear one.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi! I would say that you don’t have to worry! As I have had my Diabetes for almost six years, I’ve traveled A LOT without any bigger problems.
When the bag goes through the scanner they may have to check it, and you’ll have to explain that you have diabetes and that it is your “diabetes equipment” and they are used to diabetic people (at least in my country). Another thing (I’ve done) is to ask my doctor for a paper explaining that you have diabetes and that you have your “diabetes equipment” in your bag, with your doctors signature on it. You then show it for the staff by the scanners. Warning! It can take some time to get this paper (it took a week for me).
Idk if it is a thing that they can scan your ID and see that you have diabetes??
Hope this helped

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had no problems going through any scanners either, worn or in the box.
I'd echo to take 2 or even 3 times the amount of strips you might need.

In the recent fiasco with the broken app, UK users abroad couldn't download the fixes. Best to take manual kit as back up.

Then relax and enjoy your holiday

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
Nothing to worry about.
We go to the canaries twice a year and get full scanned and all my medication is bagged up with a copy of my prescription.
I was only quizzed the once by a lovely security man whose wife was diabetic and he just wanted to know what i had to further his own knowledge.

All the best

Tony

Reactions: RickV

RickV

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all.
I recently went on a cruise, stopping off at 10 different destinations and going through full body scanners entering and exiting security at each port without any problem to my sensor that I was wearing at the time.
However, when going through security at Bristol Airport, I was informed by the security chap to remove my spare sensor from my hand luggage so that it would not pass through the x-ray machine, just as a precaution.
I am very surprised the manufacturers of the Libre 2 system have not done any tests so as to clarify what is safe or not for sensors.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulAshby

Cragwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I wore mine in my arm and just went through the arch. The spare in the box, I handed to the security man and he took it through to the other side so that it didn’t go through the x Ray machine. He knew what it was and didn’t bat an eyelid. I would echo the advice to take a finger prick monitor and loads of strips with you, depending on where you are travelling to. Mine came off in the sea after 3 days and I had to resort to my monitor instead. I didn’t put my spare on until just before going home. I hope you have a lovely holiday.