Going on holiday

samcham

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I wanted to get some thoughts on how people navigate holidays - sorry if this has been a subject before, I couldnt see it. I am due to go to Berlin next week for a week and I chose a city as I love being active on holiday, seeing sights, culture etc, but the other issue is that I have often gone to cities for the food choices too. I dont drink alcohol so my only vice really is FOOD! Now I am am prediabetic I have managed in the last few months to get my blood sugar readings down to non-prediabetic and am proud of myself. Have lost 5kg and apart from long covid symptoms I do feel better.

Just wanted any advice about how to still enjoy food on holiday, I have searched low carb places (not that many) but also know I can simply order low carb, but it is more the temptation of "being away" and "having a break" I am talking about - whether to maybe up my carbs a little to more moderate so that I can try new foods etc. I was planning on having no breakfast as usual and having a substantial brunch of eggs, cheeses, fish etc and I am planning on bringing my low carb tortillas with me to add to that. I am bringing my lovely 100% dark chocolate and a big bag of pecans (I tend to bring these with me to restaraunts now to have instead of pudding and I order a cheese board or black coffee).
I also often bake some peanut butter blondies and thought to bring these with me to give me the feeling of having some treats, but it is things like eating some fries, maybe some dishes that have a bit more carbs? Do you all let yourself do that, or do you think it is important to continue being low carb even during a holiday as it is for life.
I am really torn about what I think is the best approach!

part of me thinks just keep on being low carb, then I guess the other part says well sometimes a break from something (in a moderate mindful way) is a good thing!! But then I guess diabetes doesnt have a break! It will be there waiting for me.

sw600

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's only a week, I'd not worry about it too much. Don't go crazy but don't sit there in every restaurant trying to deny yourself. Carbs aren't poison, you just need to have long-term control over them. A week of eating 'normally' won't give you diabetes. I guess you'll be doing plenty of walking around and that will burn off some excess anyhow.

Reactions: Omar51 and samcham

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It looks as though you have your plans in order, @samcham .
Just be aware that once you drop your guard regarding carbs, and indulge, or even overindulge, it can lead to craving more carbs. Following that it can take a while to regain control. It would be a shame to undo all your good work so far.
My choice would be to try to sample and fill up on the interesting meats and cheeses, avoid the breads , or even have a breakfast as your indulgence on holiday. Hotels have great choices of eggs, meats etc., generally.
Have a great time.

Reactions: samcham

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I wanted to get some thoughts on how people navigate holidays - sorry if this has been a subject before, I couldnt see it. I am due to go to Berlin next week for a week and I chose a city as I love being active on holiday, seeing sights, culture etc, but the other issue is that I have often gone to cities for the food choices too. I dont drink alcohol so my only vice really is FOOD! Now I am am prediabetic I have managed in the last few months to get my blood sugar readings down to non-prediabetic and am proud of myself. Have lost 5kg and apart from long covid symptoms I do feel better.

Just wanted any advice about how to still enjoy food on holiday, I have searched low carb places (not that many) but also know I can simply order low carb, but it is more the temptation of "being away" and "having a break" I am talking about - whether to maybe up my carbs a little to more moderate so that I can try new foods etc. I was planning on having no breakfast as usual and having a substantial brunch of eggs, cheeses, fish etc and I am planning on bringing my low carb tortillas with me to add to that. I am bringing my lovely 100% dark chocolate and a big bag of pecans (I tend to bring these with me to restaraunts now to have instead of pudding and I order a cheese board or black coffee).
I also often bake some peanut butter blondies and thought to bring these with me to give me the feeling of having some treats, but it is things like eating some fries, maybe some dishes that have a bit more carbs? Do you all let yourself do that, or do you think it is important to continue being low carb even during a holiday as it is for life.

part of me thinks just keep on being low carb, then I guess the other part says well sometimes a break from something (in a moderate mindful way) is a good thing!! But then I guess diabetes doesnt have a break! It will be there waiting for me.
Germany? Bratwurst! Currywurst! On every street corner a foot of wurst waiting for you! There are carbs in there, but it's still, in my experience over the Christmas Markets over in Aachen, quite doable as long as it's not a daily thing for the rest of your life. Plenty of Argentinian grill restaurants, (low carb meat and salads) and what have you... And if you're stumped, McDonalds'll help. (Just had the egg and sausage muffin without the muffin yesterday for instance. I don't know why it took them so long to have that option in the Netherlands! Fell in love with the sausage that doesn't look like sausage ages ago in London! :)). Have you checked Google Maps around your hotel? Their restaurant, the ones near it, might have menu's on their websites.... And you could always have a little piece of paper with you that requests no bread/spuds/rice and pasta in German for instance... Good luck, and enjoy your stay!

samcham

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks All, I think a mixture of all this advice is great. I think I will let go a little bit but not go mad. Only thing is I dont eat meat so although Germany is great for those things, not so great for non meat eaters - although I have already found a few fish places that look great!
I think I will deffo load up on a good brunch of eggs, cheese, avo, salad as well as nuts and then maybe not be so strict with the evening meal.

I have noticed a huge change in mindset now for me though is that I no longer look at puddings and sugary things in the same way, I feel that such obvious sugar is like a poison to me now. Its given me the ick about eating that sort of stuff, but its things like potatoes / fries that I find harder, but like someone said, a bit here and there won't harm as long as I dont suddenly start chowing down on that stuff once I am back!

*I used to be someone who started holiday eating a week before the holiday - and at the airport I would get big bags of crisps, chocolates, cakes, eat fast food, just stuff my face cause I was "ON HOLIDAY" - but i have no desire to do that ever again.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks All, I think a mixture of all this advice is great. I think I will let go a little bit but not go mad. Only thing is I dont eat meat so although Germany is great for those things, not so great for non meat eaters - although I have already found a few fish places that look great!
I think I will deffo load up on a good brunch of eggs, cheese, avo, salad as well as nuts and then maybe not be so strict with the evening meal.

I have noticed a huge change in mindset now for me though is that I no longer look at puddings and sugary things in the same way, I feel that such obvious sugar is like a poison to me now. Its given me the ick about eating that sort of stuff, but its things like potatoes / fries that I find harder, but like someone said, a bit here and there won't harm as long as I dont suddenly start chowing down on that stuff once I am back!

*I used to be someone who started holiday eating a week before the holiday - and at the airport I would get big bags of crisps, chocolates, cakes, eat fast food, just stuff my face cause I was "ON HOLIDAY" - but i have no desire to do that ever again.
There was an article in a Dutch newspaper yesterday where wurst-sellers in Germany lamented the rise of vegan and vegetarianism... A lot of them actually sell meat replacement wursts, to stay afloat, but you never know how many carbs are in there. (Might be able to ask for the nutritional info though. Carbs are "kohlenhydrate"). Still... The country is becoming more and more non-meat-ish, so I'm sure you'll find your bliss there either way. Just remember to enjoy yourself. And hey... Sometimes we need to make little adjustments in our diet for a few days/weeks. It happens. Back on the wagon when you get home. ;)

Reactions: Pipp

samcham

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There was an article in a Dutch newspaper yesterday where wurst-sellers in Germany lamented the rise of vegan and vegetarianism... A lot of them actually sell meat replacement wursts, to stay afloat, but you never know how many carbs are in there. (Might be able to ask for the nutritional info though. Carbs are "kohlenhydrate"). Still... The country is becoming more and more non-meat-ish, so I'm sure you'll find your bliss there either way. Just remember to enjoy yourself. And hey... Sometimes we need to make little adjustments in our diet for a few days/weeks. It happens. Back on the wagon when you get home. ;)
Ah thank you! I do enjoy veggie sausages so will keep an eye out for them! Thank you for the tip re the word for carbs!

Reactions: JoKalsbeek and Pipp

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like someone said I will also be doing a lot of walking and a hell of a lot of dancing! 30 queer women from London let loose in Berlin - what could possibly go wrong! ;)
Sounds like one hell of a party! Enjoy!

• Friendly

sw600

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to the Love Parade in Berlin in 2002, I remember my vegetarian friend ordering a veggie salad and it has speck in it (kind of like german pancetta). When challenged the waiter said "It's not meat, it's speck".

• Friendly

Diablo T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you all let yourself do that, or do you think it is important to continue being low carb even during a holiday as it is for life.

I've found the major European capitals to be very accommodating for low carb. Its a thing and many menus have low carb marked or keto marked. Also searching for low carb places hasn't been too restrictive in the few large cities I've been to since my diagnosis.

About 17-18 years ago I regularly visited Berlin. I had no problem then as a vegetarian though I wasn't eating low carb. However, it was such a melting pot for cuisines even back then that I'd be pretty confident you'd be fine especially as you eat fish too.

Personally, I try to keep to low carb while travelling. Anytime I veer from it, it shows up in my BG readings.....

samcham

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to the Love Parade in Berlin in 2002, I remember my vegetarian friend ordering a veggie salad and it has speck in it (kind of like german pancetta). When challenged the waiter said "It's not meat, it's speck".
hahah oh I would have loved to go to Love Parade! haha that is a bit like going to Ireland and being veggie, what you cant have gravy on your veggie lasagna?! haha!

samcham

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've found the major European capitals to be very accommodating for low carb. Its a thing and many menus have low carb marked or keto marked. Also searching for low carb places hasn't been too restrictive in the few large cities I've been to since my diagnosis.

About 17-18 years ago I regularly visited Berlin. I had no problem then as a vegetarian though I wasn't eating low carb. However, it was such a melting pot for cuisines even back then that I'd be pretty confident you'd be fine especially as you eat fish too.

Personally, I try to keep to low carb while travelling. Anytime I veer from it, it shows up in my BG readings.....
Thank you, yes i have been thinking about it the last few days. I have been doing 36 hour fasts once a week and honestly its been so good for steadying my bloods, and I feel absolutely brilliant afterwards, my body is changing shape, belly fat slowly going,. I have been eating low carb on my non fast days and feel totally tuned up / alive atm, and I dont think I want to mess with that for the sake of some carbs. So keep humming and harring about whther to just commit to myself that I will be as low carb as I can as this really is a lifestyle and I am only 3 months in. I think I will feel really **** if i come back and feel sludgy and heavy again.
Just going to keep an open mind as much as possible and need to ensure I dont get into very black and white thinking ie good versus bad as that I think got me here in the first place, years of dieting, being fat or thin, good or bad, diet or binge. So I think focusing on how I actually feel and what I have acheived and how I want my life to be forever is a good start.
As I mentioned previously, I now have no desire to eat obvious sugar, its just the more hidden / white carbs stuff I am grappling with.

samcham

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello All, just reporting back! Well the holiday was a bit of half and half re food - the beginning went well, and I brought all my own low carb snacks, but then I started to find it really difficult re eating out, for veggie options that were also low carb. Weirdly I didnt find any places that did just eggs, or omlettes and decided after one day of the hotel breakfast that I wouldnt pay the £15 for it again as the only thing I could eat was some boiled eggs and hated the rubbery cheese, all the yoghurts were flavoured etc.
So ended up eating bread a lot, and unfort once I started to eat that, it just became a habit/felt a bit addicted to it tbh, plus daily ice cream, pizza, and potato chips argh. But I did enjoy the food I have to say and I was walking on average about 28,000 steps a day. But still I am a little disappointed in myself but am trying to be gentle in that I only started this new way of eating in March and so it may have just been a bit too soon to go on holiday and feel like I had it all under control.
So I am back to my low carb life today and the next holiday I have is climbing snowden in a few weeks and staying at a friends soo I know I will be able to eat in a healthy way.
Then I have a good run until I go away again in Oct for a few days to Luxembourg so hopefully by then I can be a bit stronger with all of this.

I think Germany for a low carb meat eater is heaven but for a low carb veggie not so much! I also dont eat meat substitutes - the fish places were few and far between and although i did have a lot of salads, just didnt hit well on holiday and was very much in that "this is not fair" mode and then just hit the "fk it" button.

Oh well! I will keep on going!

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's only a week, I'd not worry about it too much. Don't go crazy but don't sit there in every restaurant trying to deny yourself. Carbs aren't poison, you just need to have long-term control over them. A week of eating 'normally' won't give you diabetes. I guess you'll be doing plenty of walking around and that will burn off some excess anyhow.

Good suggestions, drinking 60/70 oz water is always good

• Friendly