Going out for a coffee with friends.

james11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Your consultant is a criminal!!! Seriously, I'd ask to be referred to someone else.
Haha...probably...my next appointment is with DN i know exactly what shes going to say...oh your hba1c has gone up...what are you doing wrong to cause that? ..lol

Reactions: dbr10

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I personally find this post very sad. A person who has clearly done brilliantly for two years and the first time they want to go for a simple coffee and they are worried about what they can have. I know it's a personal choice and people may not want to stray from their low carb diet ever, but surely a coffee with cream and shock, horror, even a small biscuit or a shared cake might go down well. The poster sounds like this outing would be an infrequent one so I say have what the heck you want, maybe do more exercise before or after to offset it somewhat and then go back to normal. You might find that your two years of low carbing has changed your metabolism and this one off 'indulgence' may not even spike you. Please go and enjoy yourself without the guilt. x

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am still diabetic. Haven't manage to go below 51 HBA1C in 2 years. I have a sweet tooth and am scared I will slip and fall into the bad habits again. But you are right I need to find a balance. Take a step back and enjoy.
I would go with your gut feelings. Some of us do well with occasional high carb indulgence, others of us feel happier sticking to their chosen diet and finding ways to enjoy life all the same. (I am one of the latter. For me, my few cups of tea / coffee with double cream each day represent life in the fast lane! I daresay others again are stricter still.) I wonder what is stopping you from lowering your A1c still further? Are you taking Metformin? I recently started and have just worked up to 3 x 500mg daily (today). I can't say I have noticed much difference so far, but I shall try to get up to the maximum dose in due course.

Reactions: A_Sun
D

Deleted Account

@A_Sun how was your coffee with your friends?
I have been rooting for you ever since you posted.
My fingers are crossed it was a good outing and given you some confidence to do it again.

Reactions: DJC3 and A_Sun

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you know?
This afternoon I've eaten a couple of Chantilly pastries.
It's not an optimal thing to do but sometime you could do it. The problem is when you normally eat too much or too much sugars and starchey food.
You'll start to increase again your weight.

A_Sun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I finally went and ordered a tea, I also had some nuts. I had measured my sugar before I went 6.1 and measured on return 2 hours after the tea and nuts 6.6. I walked around shops for about 30 mins. Feeling happy. I am glad I went. It gave me a confidence boost. Thank you everyone.:)

A_Sun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@A_Sun how was your coffee with your friends?
I have been rooting for you ever since you posted.
My fingers are crossed it was a good outing and given you some confidence to do it again.
I went and I am glad I did. Had a TEA in Costa coffee. Haha. Thank you to everyone here. I was so worried about being awkward but got the confidence from reading everyones replies to my post.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I finally went and ordered a tea, I also had some nuts. I had measured my sugar before I went 6.1 and measured on return 2 hours after the tea and nuts 6.6. I walked around shops for about 30 mins. Feeling happy. I am glad I went. It gave me a confidence boost. Thank you everyone.:)

I am glad you went and hope this gives you confidence to repeat it. Well done. :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A_Sun - I'd urge you to use this success as a springboard for future social gatherings.

I made a pledge to my OH at diagnosis that I would never use diabetes as an reason to decline a social invitation, and I have honoured my pledge. OK; sometimes my food choices have been a bit odd to others, and sometime the best of what was there (relating to my way of eating).

In the early days, when I was still working out how to handle social events, I made sure I never went to a party hungry, so that I wouldn't panic if it was wall-to-wall carbs.

My view is the "normality" and social interaction is at least as important for me and my overall well-being as whether I stay below x carbs on a single day. There's always a way to make it work, even if not perfectly.

I find my gluten free needs trickier now than the low carb stuff, but with the GF, others (including hosts) are very nervy of that too, but people get used to it. I have a meeting in a week or so over lunch, where I will attend, plus a T1 with coeliac. The hostess asked if everyone would mind doing a "bring something lunch", which is unusual for her (she's a fab hostess), but I think that's her way of ensuring that we GF eaters have something we definitely know we can eat, and in fact, at least two options, being two of us.

Pure genius, in my view. I haven't decided what I'll take yet.

Last edited:

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does any place do a sugar free.
[/QUOTE]
Starbucks does have sugar-free syrup here in the States, but you must ASK for it. Don't be fooled by "Skinny" lattes; they still use sugared syrup to make those.
As for snacks, go for some nuts or veggies. They may not be all that popular at the table, but your blood sugar will thank you in the morning.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
I went and I am glad I did. Had a TEA in Costa coffee. Haha. Thank you to everyone here. I was so worried about being awkward but got the confidence from reading everyones replies to my post.
I'm so glad you went and enjoyed yourself.

A_Sun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A_Sun - I'd urge you to use this success as a springboard for future social gatherings.

I made a pledge to my OH at diagnosis that I would never use diabetes as an reason to decline a social invitation, and I have honoured my pledge. OK; sometimes my food choices have been a bit odd to others, and sometime the best of what was there (relating to my way of eating).

In the early days, when I was still working out how to handle social events, I made sure I never went to a party hungry, so that I wouldn't panic if it was wall-to-wall carbs.

My view is the "normality" and social interaction is at least as important for me and my overall well-being as whether I stay below x carbs on a single day. There's always a way to make it work, even if not perfectly.

I find my gluten free needs trickier now than the low carb stuff, but with the GF, others (including hosts) are very nervy of that too, but people get used t it. I have a meeting in a week or so over lunch, where I will attend, plus a T1 with coeliac. The hostess asked if everyone would mind doing a "bring something lunch", which is ubusual for her (she's a fab hostess), but I think that's her way of ensuring that we GF eaters have something we definitely know we can eat, and in fact, at least two options, being two of us.

Pure genius, in my view. I haven't decided what I'll take yet.
Thats a clever way to do it. Ask everyone to bring something lunch. :) I think it is a very big confidence thing. IF We have the confidence I could get away with murder. The low confidence made me worry about a silly coffee.

A_Sun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diabetes is a very physical condition or illness but the diagnoses has done something to my confidence. I wonder if anyone else has felt like me.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The low confidence made me worry about a silly coffee.

It’s easily done, we can get hung up about the little things.
I’m so glad you went out and enjoyed it. I really hope this is the start of a new social you and lots of fun times ahead.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes is a very physical condition or illness but the diagnoses has done something to my confidence. I wonder if anyone else has felt like me.

Oh yes. Definitely. I think any major diagnosis will mess with your head, and diabetes does it in particular ways...

Don't worry - you are not alone.
Nearly everyone on the forum has gone through their own diagnosis and the emotional aftermath, so even if our experience was different, and our reactions varied from yours, we still get it in a way that other people, including family and friends may not.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you kidding? Yes!!! Every time something foodwise at restaurants and cafe's didn't go as planned, I'd have a full blown panic attack, especially the first months. Improvisation took time to learn, asking to leave out bread or exchange potatoes for extra veggies too... ;) Took a while, but I already am a hermit... I knew if I'd stop eating out now, I'd never start again. Ever. Which would make a day out impossible, as I'll have to eat sometime, somewhere... But occasional mistakes won't kill me (or my hba1c), and there's a few defaults I can order almost anywhere in the Netherlands, which I can always revert to if nothing else is available. I'm sure the same'll be true for you.

Reactions: A_Sun and DJC3

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
there's a few defaults I can order almost anywhere in the Netherlands, which I can always revert to if nothing else is available
It's a very long while since I was on holiday in Holland, but I still remember the buffet breakfasts, table loaded with cheese, hard boiled eggs, cold meats as well as the inevitable bread. Very surprising to us then, as it seemed more like lunch than breakfast and very diabetes-friendly, not that we knew anything abut that. Does this still happen?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes to be sure, but now as you successfully manage both your bg and your social life your confidence will be on the up and up. Maybe it will even end up higher than before, as you will have overcome some tough problems that many people never encounter, and many other people, tragically, make a total hash of!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a very long while since I was on holiday in Holland, but I still remember the buffet breakfasts, table loaded with cheese, hard boiled eggs, cold meats as well as the inevitable bread. Very surprising to us then, as it seemed more like lunch than breakfast and very diabetes-friendly, not that we knew anything abut that. Does this still happen?
Yup... The continental breakfast, it's called, and I guess it would look like lunch to others... Never thought about it! It's a bit of a hotel staple. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Many years ago we had a holiday in Bulgaria, before the collapse of the iron curtain. The hotel breakfasts were boiled eggs, cheeses, cold meats and breads. Our attitude was "OMG where are the Cornflakes, jam, and orange juice?" If only we knew then what we know now!