Good blood glucose control in type 1 diabetes could reduce fracture risk

DCUK NewsBot

People with type 1 diabetes who have well-controlled blood glucose levels are less likely to experience bone fractures, research suggests. It was already known that diabetes is associated with an increased risk of fractures, but the impact of poor or good glycemic control on fracture risk has not been fully understood. The Swiss trial conducted by researchers at the University of Basel involved 3,329 people with type 1 diabetes and 44,275 who had type 2 diabetes. They tracked their HbA1c levels across three years. The research team took an average nine measurements from the type 1 group and 11 from those with type 2 diabetes. The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) recommends that adults with type 1 diabetes aim for HbA1c levels of 48 mmol/mol (6.5%). Overall, both type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes were associated with an increased risk of factors. Those with type 1 diabetes who had average HbA1c levels of greater than 64 mmol/mol (8.0%) were linked with having an increased fracture risk compared to those with an average HbA1c of 53 mmol/mol (7.0%) or less. This association was not present in those with type 2 diabetes. The researchers hypothesised that the risk fracture in people with type 2 diabetes is likely related to other diabetes-related comorbidities, rather than HbA1c. One of the trial's author Sarah Charlier, from the University Hospital Basel, said: "Nevertheless, fracture risk in type 2 diabetes is of clinical relevance as well as it is a major health concern worldwide due to its high prevalence." The findings have been published in the Endocrine Society's Journal of Clinical Endocrinology &Metabolism.

Continue reading...

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I assume the researchers excluded T1Ds with coeliac disease (CD), those with CD may have extra fracture risk from the study but did the researchers also screen for CD in those T1Ds studied as CD is more common in T1D than the normal population?

Reactions: Robinredbreast

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kitedoc reading the full published article they did not 'screen' for CD. They did weed out any who had be diagnosed with Cancer, HIV or Alcoholism.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I assume the researchers excluded T1Ds with coeliac disease (CD), those with CD may have extra fracture risk from the study but did the researchers also screen for CD in those T1Ds studied as CD is more common in T1D than the normal population?

I was diagnosed with Coleiac disease 6 years ago and 3 months later, with Osteoporosis. I fell from a height and smashed my wrist up badly, about 4/5 years ago, then complications set in, first time I have ever broken a bone/bones.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I was diagnosed with Coleiac disease 6 years ago and 3 months later, with Osteoporosis. I fell from a height and smashed my wrist up badly, about 4/5 years ago, then complications set in, first time I have ever broken a bone/bones.
Sorry to hear that happened to you @Robinredbreast !! I hope you have recovered and that the gluten-free diet helps you.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Sorry to hear that happened to you @Robinredbreast !! I hope you have recovered an that the gluten-free diet helps you.

Thank you, It took a long time to heal, it looks normal now and I can use it :)
. 20180529_082524-1_resized_1.jpg
.20180529_083624_resized.jpg
20180529_082511_resized.jpg