Good days - not so good days?

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
This was not meant to be a moan, though it seems to have turned into one, I am just wondering how other T2s are getting on, I seem to have some good days where I can almost forget about my T2. Then there are the not so good days, today being the latter. I did not sleep well last night, unfortunately, other half has early Parkinsons and one of the symptoms is restlessness at night, he gets up for hours at a time at night and sometimes wakes me, last night I could not get to sleep until well after 3.30 pm. Result, wake up feeling absolute rubbish, also, a rare occurrence for me - I missed my 1000g metformin two days ago, and had (bad I know) indulged in some Easter choc, normally stick rigidly to high percentage dark choc, but had a bad moment and ate too much of the Lindt milk choc, oh but it was so delicious and not had milk chocolate in yonks :oops: . However, went grocery shopping and felt really bad after walking around for a while, legs felt heavy and slightly nauteous and my leg muscles have a twitchy feel to them - and just an overall feeling of yuck, to the point that I had to leave husband to sort out the rescan at the checkout to go and sick down. luckily two nice members came to his assistance. Felt bad, as I said he has early stage Parkinsons. I rarely get upset about my T2, but today - felt quite low over it all, and though I did let my husband see _ i was almost in tears, and thinking that we are coming a pair of old crocks at just 60! I am normally really young in my outlook and try to keep going whatever.

We have also been decorating, and this has been quite physically demanding as hubby cannot do as much as he used to and I had to help a lot more, my daughter has kindly offered some help but has two small children and can only do so when her husband is home. My legs play me up - I have mentioned this on another post, I think I have peripheral neuropathy but GP does not seem to think so!

Anyway, the long and the short of this rather gloomy and boring post is, just wondering if others come up with similar issues and feelings. Like, sometimes I really wish this illness would go away - then I think other people have it so much worse and I should not moan :roll:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please feel free to moan anytime - I dont mind reading and listening and if others have a down moment, I dont feel so guilty when I am sharing one of my down moments with this forum too.

This is a life-changing illness. There are no brownie points for the degree of suffering. We all have ups and downs. My doctor, today, said that it would not be normal to carry on as if nothing had changed and everything was happy bunnies (only she didnt say happy bunnies exactly, but thats what she meant)

Sending hugs.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
lucklocket61 - thanks so much, you are just what the Doctor ordered, well almost :D . Don't get me wrong I am not a depressive type person, but sometimes I just wish diabetes would give me a holiday - a very long one :lol: It is always here, even when not thinking about it, and it makes me want things that I would probably not even like, such a big and naughty cakes, or donuts or puddings - and although I am a chocoholic, never been into cakes and donuts, yet when in a restaurant for tea and coffee they do look so tempting - they are really bad :twisted:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones because diabetes doesn't make me feel ill in any way, the only symptoms I get is a hypo.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Guess so Sarah69, you say you get hypo, are you a T1? As my understanding it is rare for T2 to get hypo, according to meds. I was fine for first few years after diagnosis, only been getting symptoms over last year or so :(

Defren

HpprKM said:
lucklocket61 - thanks so much, you are just what the Doctor ordered, well almost :D . Don't get me wrong I am not a depressive type person, but sometimes I just wish diabetes would give me a holiday - a very long one :lol: It is always here, even when not thinking about it, and it makes me want things that I would probably not even like, such a big and naughty cakes, or donuts or puddings - and although I am a chocoholic, never been into cakes and donuts, yet when in a restaurant for tea and coffee they do look so tempting - they are really bad :twisted:

Like you I am not a depressive person, but do have down days/times. It's only natural I suppose to feel this is all encompassing with no way out. I can't help feeling for me, once I get used to this lifestyle change I will be fine, just as I was in my old lifestyle. I may well be wrong, but do feel human beings can and do adapt to new and different situations reasonably easily. My own thoughts are time is our friend, and in the mean time, we must do the best we can, even if that means tears and venting sometimes.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Defren, yes, you are new to this, I am getting to be quite an old hand now, after almost 4/5 years, but not sure time helps - not to be pessimistic, I started out with the attitude that I will not let this thing beat me, and I was sooooo good with my diet, one little thing leads to another and I am not so good as I was, but there is always the option to get back on track. I am tired today and that really does not help my psychological self, things so much easier to cope with when I am not tired, but tiredness is what led me to GP in the first place, as I have two children with under active thyroids and suspected that, or just age related, diabetes was not even in my mind, mega shock. Of all the things I worried about getting it just was not on the list - however, I have it, despite my life style being comparatively healthy and my not being overweight, sometimes that aspect niggles me. But hey, what can we do, we have it and we either get on and deal with it or not, if we don't then it will just take over our lives even more, so not an option really - but I do slide from time to time - :roll: I still see it as a challenge, and I find that a positive aspect, as someone else said - it has made me think differently and to eat more healthily - or try to at least.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
HpprKM said:
Guess so Sarah69, you say you get hypo, are you a T1? As my understanding it is rare for T2 to get hypo, according to meds. I was fine for first few years after diagnosis, only been getting symptoms over last year or so :(

Im T2 I've been diabetic since 97 and on insulin. The onlytime I have been ill due to being diabetic is when I had DKA. The only affect I have is when my BS is going low. I don't get thirsty, I don't go to the loo a lot, I don't feel ill with eating the wrong food and I don't have any symptoms if my BS is high.

Unbeliever

Sometimes its not so much the diabetes itself but trying to cope with all the other things life throws at you and which can prevent you from dealing properly with your diabetes.
Then you feel unwell and cant cope with those other issues either. Anyone with caring responsibilities will know what I mean.
I am at the stage now where , all other things being equal, I can easily keep all my readings in the 4s and 5s.

When I cant follow my usual exercise/diet / medication routine things get out of hand quickly. This causes me to feel. frustrated, bad-tempered and depressed.
This apect was discussed in the very interesing study catherinecherub brought to outr attention yesterday.
We dont have diabetes ina vacuum. Many are capable of good selfmanagement -if allowed to do so.
I often think , for T2s assumptions are based on the stereotype of an elderly obese person with no employment or responsibilities and able to lead a totally regular and routine existence,
Meanwhile , in the real world we have to cope with whatever is thrown at us.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant post Unbeliever :clap:

My doctor said that younger people getting type 2 is quite a new thing and they dont yet know enough to know how we will fare in decades to come as people used to get type 2 late in life, and didnt have many decades of life ahead of them.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Unbeliever,

for T2s assumptions are based on the stereotype of an elderly obese person with no employment or responsibilities and able to lead a totally regular and routine existence,
Meanwhile , in the real world we have to cope with whatever is thrown at us.

Oh I agree, you are so spot on, I worked until last year when I was able to retire from a very demanding job as a College Lecturer for 2.5 days a week, and caring for my grandson 2 days a week, my husband has been diagnosed with Parkinsons and I simply felt that keeping up with everything was just too much - grandson too important to give up, so work had to go. Admittedly I am lucky that we have small pensions, although not up to previous standards of living, we can manage get by adequately if we are careful.

But I am and never have been obese, and certainly am not what I consider to be elderly, and I feel aggrieved at this stereotypical view. I certainly know that to deal with diabetes properly is time consuming, and how hard that is when you a life to lead, workwise and others to think of.

Davidvwt2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My first post on this excellent site! I have t2 and am trying to get bg levels sorted. I have the good days / bad day syndrome for no apparent reason. It's very frustrating as I can't often do what I want to do, and all this malarkey was not in the plan ! I guess it's just having to deal with it. But at least I now don't feel I have to do this on my own because of the posts from you all on this site. Thank you for your help, you really do think its very personal until you read that others have been there done that, or, are there and doing it!
David

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
I would just like to add that if it hadn't been for David resurrecting this thread I may well have overlooked it.

I find your replies admirable and very informative, thank you all.

A problem I have with T2 is tiredness bordering on fatigue. I see I'm not alone with this problem, so that kind of helps.

HpprKM, as you started this thread thread earlier last year, I hope things are now a bit better for you, allowing you a better lifestyle.

Best wishes,
WW

mimo

Sometimes it is such a relief to read other peoples ups and downs with T2 so one doesn't feel like the only one. I am 35 years old and diagnosed with T2 2 years ago. So I guess people are getting it younger. I was really good when first found out. Felt so much better eating a good diet and exercising. Sadly burnt out as was uber good and finding it difficult to get back to a sensible routine. I find other people don't understand and such a comfort to read from other diabetics here they are going thtough same thing. I think am coming to terms with the up and down days. Reading here helps me get back up ftom them knowing others out there are going through the same thing and understand. Don't know about others but sometimes its very lonely being diabetic but having this site is a saviour!!!!

HpprKM

Dislikes
Mimo - I agree - it can be a lonely illness. Even my husband, who sadly has Parkinson's doesn't understand. When I say I get tired he asks why are you tired? I know he means well but it can be annoying - so is great to have a place to share with people who do understand :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App