Goodness me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussG

Agreed - I read the blog and listened to that interview and both are frankly laughable. Well put Happy.

C

catherinecherub

The person that was forgotten in Happy's thread was sugarless sue, another person who goes out of her way to help others. Thank you Sue.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
HappyCrack said:
I have read Eddie Mitchell's blog, personal vendetta it is, full of aggression, aggression in his voice.
personal comments removed

Comments relating to above personal comments

I note you have joined this afternoon, yet have some firm and historic views on the place and the personnel? question about username removed

I think the posts, as a whole, on this thread do demonstrate that the view of this forum is that "we are all different, but some are more different than others" and those that are more different and and therefore most unwelcome and who get the most grief are those that have the temerity to regularly say, there's no such thing as a good carbohydrate for a diabetic and fat is not the problem.

I used to post here a lot, and welcomed the now defunct lowcarbdiabetes.co.uk as a place where one could discuss low carbing without the usual and incessant carping that happens here.

All the best

Dillinger

Reactions: 2 people

RussG

Hi Dillinger:

I'm by no stretch of the imagination either a fervent low carber nor anti-low carber however that interview was full of inaccuracies, misrepresentation and faulty logic. It criticised the forum for repeating NICE guidelines, which are the clinical recommendations of the NHS. It attempted to portray the site as a formal provider of advice, which it is not - it allows peers to share their experiences. It alleged a conflict of interest between the DCUK website, the forum and another site. The forum is not moderated by DUK staff and clearly has a degree of independence as shown by the large number of people on it criticising the latest DCUK position on carbohydrates. The forum rules state: Please also bear in mind that the views expressed on this forum by members or moderators in no way represent the views of Diabetes.co.uk. Diabetes.co.uk takes no legal responsibility for any advice, disputes or problems arising from this forum

It appeared to completely overlook the fact that there is a specific area dedicated to low carbing that is clearly identified as being about sharing ideas between low carbers and asks people not to get into arguments about the benefits or not of low carbing. Total current posts in low carb diet forum: 6983. Posts in non-low carb diet forum: 770. Draw your own conclusion about low carb and its profile on this site.

I could go on. All the clinical evidence I have ever seen suggests that low carb diets can be effective but that they are not the only way to achieve good glycaemic control and manage your diabetes. There's plenty I don't agree with on this forum, but that interview was one of the most amusingly biased things I have heard for some time.

NB FOR THE SAKE OF BALANCE: I didn't witness the exchanges being referred to and it may well be that the way the conflict was handled was not appropriate. I don't know so I can't comment on that. What I will stick by though is my view that the Eddie Mitchell interview misrepresents the forum as a whole and makes a number of sweeping statements, many of which are wide of the mark IMO.

C

catherinecherub

Questions should be asked as to why a low carb forum which was run by low carbers for low carbers is now defunct. There was nobody there that didn't low carb was there? DCUK cannot be held responsible for that too.

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Who else noticed in the credits that Jimmy Moore has his own site (I didn't look it up) whose name implies he is a low carber too? I never learnt that carbs turn to sugar before I joined here, so to say this site gives bad advice is just clearly wrong. I don't have the knowledge to decide which science is best but I know I prefer a well regulated forum where there is scope for all sides of the story to be aired, after all when a topic is posted here it's not just 2 like minded people talking to each other is it?

C

catherinecherub

Gappy,

Go to his site and you can buy books and donate.

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
As I've just replied to the blog with: I hadn't heard of low carb dieting for diabetics before I came to this site. I'm old enough (56) and bright enough (just) to know to check things out and have - since joining this site - read umpteem diet books and diabetes books and now follow Viv's diet more than anyone else's but I have tweaked it for my own use.

That is what this site is so good for - good advice and information and encouraging people to be individuals and read around the subject.

Cheers
Ailz

PS This site has probably saved me from having to go on extra medication from out of control - well getting that way - diabetes.

ally5555

Hi

Thank you for the nice comments earlier.

For the newbies let me explain what problems I have had!

I am a Dietitian and have generally not agreed with Diabetes Uks very high carb/high sugar stance - have always taken a moderate approach to carbs and found in practice it has produced good results. I also think early intervention is also very important - I do tend to see pts within a few weeks of diagnosis. I see at least 5-8 new type 2s a week!

I actually analysed quite a number of the low carbers diets and it churned up some interesting results, although it was only a snapshot. The so called high fat intakes were actually below the rec for fat , protein was not as high as I expected and quite a number had low intakes of calcium and vit C and a few other nutrients. Graham was actually the only one who had a high fat intake but it was not that high. He had his advice I believe from a dietitian! Eddies plan was very low in calories ( look at the BBC diet trials results re Atkins) and the doctor that they rave over had a terrible intake and her son as well. It is recorded somewhere on this forum.

Of course that sparked alot of abuse aimed at me but I think it did make people who are low carbing think more about the whole of their diet and not just the carbs, You all know many of the vitamins and minerals are essential!

Please do not let this forum end up with everyone arguing - it is just not worth it and what does it prove! I have been called some horrid names , had awful things said to me via pms and nasty comments made about my wonderful country - I am Welsh and very proud of it!

This is a useful forum for new people who are diagnosed with diabetes.

Ally

Ps _ I would also like to say thank you to Sue and Ken - they have done a splendid job on here x

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Dillinger said:
HappyCrack said:
I have read Eddie Mitchell's blog, personal vendetta it is, full of aggression, aggression in his voice.

I note you have joined this afternoon, yet have some firm and historic views on the place and the personnel?

I only joined a year ago after the arguments stopped but do have historic knowledge of all the names mentioned in this thread and on Eddie's blog.

Like myself a lot of people have been reading this forum for years and were either too afraid or just could not be bothered to join a forum where there were more arguments than what it was set up for.

I think the posts, as a whole, on this thread do demonstrate that the view of this forum is that "we are all different, but some are more different than others" and those that are more different and and therefore most unwelcome and who get the most grief are those that have the temerity to regularly say, there's no such thing as a good carbohydrate for a diabetic and fat is not the problem.

We definitely are all different and some of us are more different than others but what you claim above is just not correct. A low carb forum was set up here so that low carbers could chat about their way of controlling their diabetes but that was not enough for them they had to go into other forums and try to force others to join their low carb club which did cause more arguments that followed by more arguments. I am sure I can speak for the great majority of people in this forum that
we'd rather have our questions answered without being intimidated or insulted just because we do not want to join a certain group.

I used to post here a lot, and welcomed the now defunct lowcarbdiabetes.co.uk as a place where one could discuss low carbing without the usual and incessant carping that happens here.

All the best

Dillinger

Arguments and insults did not stop when the low carb forum opened, it was just transfered to another forum where a few members thought they were safe and could insult whom ever they wanted to without the fear of being banned.

I was not a member of the forum you mentioned above but read it regularly and have witnessed arguments between the low carbers, mostly started by Eddie himself. He not only insulted non low carbers of this forum and elsewhere but also some fellow low carb forum members, hence the reason(s) he was eventually banned. And now he has his own blog and is insulting any and everyone, that's about the only thing he knows how to do best. Infantile behavior as far as I am concerned.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
What the hell is going on around here??? Ken and Sue ain't monitors anymore, people are setting up extra accounts so they can post comments that they wouldn't normally write (I assume...), and the new Mod(s) are editing posts left right and centre without leaving info in the post.

We have an opportunity now to make this forum great. I ain't going nowhere. I've got high hopes for the future of this site.

BUT...

This forum is on a route to self destruct - and there are people that will sit back and watch it happen with a dirty smirk on their face. (People from both sides, I'd bet).

We're being watched, and we're gonna prove people RIGHT if we don't grow up!

Let's not let this amazing resource get destroyed by trivial threads like this one. There are a LOT of great people here. I like a good number of y'all a great deal! Just like real life, though, I don't get along with everyone here - but that is what a community is like. We don't have to get along, we just have to live and let live.

I'm a member of LOTS of unmoderated forums (general interest stuff) and this kind of thing NEVER happens on any of them. It leads me to one conclusion (and I've said it before):

Diabetics are moody s.o.b's. :x

Peace, Love and Pork Scratchings.

benedict

Administrator
Hi Patch

Edits in italics eg: personal comment removed are from me.

I can add a note to say 'edited by Benedict' at the bottom of the post if that helps.

All the best
Benedict

jopar

I haven't got anything to add to the current discussion reguarding the infamous Edward Mitchell

This link as a lot of questions that need answering.. http://carbophile.blogspot.com/

Please note that Eddie appears to be talking to himself again as his even his sock puppets are leaving comments on his blog!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi benedict,
Why not just delete the comments and notify the poster by PM? It just smells of "big brother" when comments are left behind regarding editing of posts for the purpose of site administration.

I don't need to, or want to know when someones post is edited - only my own. That can be done with PM's.

I'm certain that invisible moderation would greatly benefit this site. Leaving a "stamp of disproval" on certain posts adds fuel to the fire...

ATB.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
jopar said:
Please note that Eddie appears to be talking to himself again as his even his stock puppets are leaving comments on his blog!

Some (not me, of course!) would say that there is a person on this very forum that has "stock puppets". It is immature. Playground stuff.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Love carbos questions of the personal comment removed.

BTW patch ........is that really you ??? :lol: At least you knew when we edited your posts.

Did I hear somebody mention free speech .......

benedict

Administrator
Sorry all, I'm going to lock the thread here.

Generally, discussing individuals like this is not something we encourage but I know a few of you wished to get things off your chest. People have had a chance to voice opinions and I'm going to end the discussion here.

Benedict

Status
Not open for further replies.