got my results back this evening :) and :(

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people
After worrying all day and getting really anxious I got my Ha1bc and its 53 or 7% where as 6 months ago it was 101 or 11.4% so I am really pleased with this . :D
Kidney,liver , thyroid are all fine

But cholesterol is higher again, it was 5.1 last time but its 5.8 this time :(

I didnt not ask for the breakdown for the first test but this test its
Hdl 1.3 which he said is good
Ldl 3.7 which he said is not good

There was talk tonight of me going on statins but I have asked to see if we can review it , rather than popping another pill as I am popping enough that I rattle :wink: also I suffer with enough pain without taking the risk of having more.

So fair play to him he has agreed to review it in 3 months, so in the meantime I need to start exercising more - more up hill walks with the dog etc but also need to start looking at not only low carb but low fat with it - where as its just been low carb (on his advice)

So can you help please and share all your tips that have helped you get your cholesterol levels down.

thank you :)

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
iggy-lil wrote
So can you help please and share all your tips that have helped you get your cholesterol levels down.

First of all, well done on that HbA1c result :clap: :clap: :clap:

As you said, no previous cholesterol breakdown, so no comparison :(
Low-carbing is one of the two best things you can do for your lipid profile. It should increase HDL, decrease triglycerides, and turn LDL from small, dense particles to large, fluffy ones.
The other best thing is EXERCISE, so you're sorted.

Have you been low-carbing long ?
Personally, I believe there's no connection between dietary saturated fat and cholesterol levels. Many professionals are prepared to disagree with this long-established 'connection.'
Low-carb, low-fat, can only be high protein, which I wouldn't recommend.

Geoff

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people
When first diagnosed(begining of April) I was sent home with a meter by my GP to basically as had to keep ad eye because if I hit 20 I had to go in to hospital but also to eat to my meter ( I am lucky I know this to have a meter), some food sheets and advice to watch my sugar and carbs by the nurse but no figure as such.

Saw them every week and by the 3rd/4th week GP told me I didnt need insulin (was so pleased) and to try to keep each meal no higher than 30/40 carbs -which I have been trying to do but do find it very hard and dont always manage to stay that low.

Have increased nuts,cheese etc so will look at decreasing some of these and having a bit more fruit. Im ok with a good selection of fruit and do eat a lot every day and have been lucky as my meter has said its ok.

I have been very tired these past 6 months which is starting to lift and this could be a reason the cholesterol is higher as Iggy (my dog ) some days is not getting his 3 walks and I used to walk him for at least an hour midday so go to try and get back into that.

Thank you for the :clap: - this has made my day :D

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
iggy-lil, I don't know if you realise but your HbA1c shows a drop in average BS levels from 18.3 to 9.6 !

That's worth celebrating, so once again :clap: :clap: :clap:

Geoff

goose64

I think it's got to be a question of balancing your diet - as we are eating less carbs we tend to fill up on things like meat & cheese which will push up your cholesterol - I'm in a similar position where mu cholesterol is within limits for a non-diabetic but high for a diabetic = I'm finding eating more veg just doesn't fill me up so I'm going to have to get used to being hungry for a while until my body adjusts

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
goose64 said:
I think it's got to be a question of balancing your diet - as we are eating less carbs we tend to fill up on things like meat & cheese which will push up your cholesterol - I'm in a similar position where mu cholesterol is within limits for a non-diabetic but high for a diabetic = I'm finding eating more veg just doesn't fill me up so I'm going to have to get used to being hungry for a while until my body adjusts

Since when does eating meat & cheese push up your cholesterol? It's true that eating more saturated fat might push your LDL count up in the very short term, it'll also increase your HDL count, meaning that the ratios should stay about the same.

Replacing carbs with fat should improve your lipid profile. I eat 80% fat and my TC is 3.6 mmol/l.

In the words of Dr Richard Feinman:
"Dietary carbohydrate restriction is the single most effective method (except for total starvation) of reducing triglycerides, and is as effective as any intervention, including most drugs, at increasing HDL and reducing the number of small-dense LDL particles. Beyond lipid markers, carbohydrate restriction improves all of the features of metabolic syndrome."

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people
librarising said:
iggy-lil wrote

As you said, no previous cholesterol breakdown, so no comparison :(
Hi I plucked up the courage and rung the doctors for the first test

Hdl 1.3
Ldl 3.1

hopefully the start of a new day and a new me. Just worked out that I also have another 4lb to lose and I will have lost 10% of my weight since January so getting there :)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Well done Iggy on the HbA1c :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

At 4.45 your Total to HDL Ratio (5.8 divided by 1.3) which most believe is a better measure than just Total is just inside the guidelines of 4.5 so its not that bad. :)

KennyS

Iggy. First of all congratulations! :thumbup: You have done well. I will ask you a question and I will leave it to you to figure out if it applies to your situation.

When you started your eating plan (Diet), were you over weight? If you have been steadily loosing weight in the course of events and lost in the days immediately prior to your cholesterol test one would think that you were dumping fatty acids and triglicerides into your blood stream.

My nurse and I talked about my taking a cholesterol test and I told her that while I wanted to keep up with that data, I didn't want to take one until my weight was stable. I explained my reasoning and she agreed.

Food for thought
Kenny :wave:

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people
KennyS said:
Iggy. First of all congratulations! :thumbup: You have done well. I will ask you a question and I will leave it to you to figure out if it applies to your situation.

When you started your eating plan (Diet), were you over weight? If you have been steadily loosing weight in the course of events and lost in the days immediately prior to your cholesterol test one would think that you were dumping fatty acids and triglicerides into your blood stream.

My nurse and I talked about my taking a cholesterol test and I told her that while I wanted to keep up with that data, I didn't want to take one until my weight was stable. I explained my reasoning and she agreed.

Food for thought
Kenny :wave:

Thank you :D

Yes I was over weight and still am but it is coming off slowly , have lost just over 1 stone 8lbs - nearly 10% of my weight. Had been slowly piling it on before realising I was diabetic (5 stones in as many years)

I will keep this in mind and thank you again :)

KennyS

iggy-lil said:
I will keep this in mind and thank you again :)

Just my thoughts and rational from things I have read. If you would be so kind, should you discuss this with your doctor, I would be most interested in their response. My nurse agreed with me but it would be good to get a second opinion about my opinion. If you could remember this thread and post a response or message me I would be made up.

Kenny

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people
I will be having a review in 3 months time and will do my best to remember (do have a muggy head sometimes ;) ). He always answers my questions honestly and he is very keyed up with the diabetes, low carbing, giving me a meter and strips etc so wont do any harm to ask :)