Got Rid Of Diabetes Type 2 - This Is How

I have never written a blog / post etc but i wanted to do this today to show how anyone with Type 2 can try and get rid of it using the same process that i followed. Its scary when someone tells you that you have a chronic condition and I hope anyone reading this will take confidence that with some focus and dedication you can reverse the condition with type 2.

I am 39 years old (Male) and in January 2018 i was feeling quite unwell, really tired all the time, going for lots of wee's, dry skin, lost a bit of weight without trying and generally felt under the weather. So i went to the doctors where they tested my blood sugar levels. On the test it came in at 18.8 (should have been under 7) then following a HbA1c blood test the reading was at 109 (basically off the scale it was so high). The doctor told me the same day that it was highly unlikely to be able to reverse it as the reading was so high. Now like most people when they say you cant ' wont do something it quite often gives you even more motivation. They also told me to take 1000mg of Metaformin… this I thought was excessive so I told the doctor I would only take 500G (i.e. 1 tablet in the evening) and see what the blood tests at home I was doing looked like.

So from that day i started off basically just eating eggs, tuna, mackerel, salmon fillets and vegetables. I stopped drinking red bulls everyday, stopped eating fast food and whatever i ate did NOT come from a packet nor could it be microwaved, instead i made it. In January i was about 16.5 stone with a BMI of 30. I then started walking everyday slowing building up to on average 10KM per day (this was really helped by getting a fitbit). I also started to run initially just 0.3Km then built this up daily to 5KM. Now i am a heavy smoker and this hasnt changed and i also like beer and i didnt change either. It was just the diet and exercise I focused on.

Everyday i would weigh myself and found that on average i would loose 0.15KG everyday on average. Today is the 8th June and i weigh 12.6st having lost about 4 stone since mid January. I dont feel any different but i did have to buy all new clothes.

I went to the doctor this morning to get my results of the second HbA1c test. I was so pleased to see that in 5 months my reading went from 109 to just 37. Effectively putting the type 2 diagnosis into remission. The doctor said you dont have diabetes now and I don’t need to take any medicine, however if you go back to eating rubbish and not doing any exercise it could come back. I am so pleased with myself I almost cried.

Having lived (quite healthy.. not including smoking and beer consumption) i cant see any issue with continuing with the same diet. It nice people complementing you on how you look and I wouldn’t want to go back to being overweight. I would suggest buying some scales for the kitchen so when you measure out the food you know exactly the amount. You wouldn’t believe how small a recommended portion of Special K looks like till you measure !

I should have said i have a 5 year most gorgeous daughter and the thought of passing away early due to this condition scared the life out of me. The doctor had told me I was as likely to have a heart attack as someone who had already had one. So everyday i would do the following :

80 sit ups

50 press ups (breaks every 10)

8-10Km walk

5Km run

Special K every morning for breakfast (30 grams)

Salmon fillet and salad for lunch or a tuna salad

No snacks or chocolate

No fizzy drinks

Eggs in the evening with some more salad, typically a omelette with 15g cheese and tuna

Beer in the evening

Daily food in take was around 700-800 calories / beer in take 700 calories (on average)

This was pretty much my daily process for just over 100 days. And today after doing this i no longer have diabetes. Now i understand it only in remission and could come back if i start being unhealthy again but for me to not take any medicines and have a normal blood sugar readings in my mind makes me clear of the condition.

What surprised me was the doctor saying in 10 years he had never seen anyone do this, which sounds mad to just accept it and not try and fix things. With focus on a goal (for me it was to not take any medicine and to have a BMI of 25 or less) you can prove doctors wrong. Their starting point is to just give out tablets and not try and make their patients put the work in to avoid a lifetime of medication.

I appreciate being only 39 helped and it wouldn’t have been anywhere near as easy without my wife supporting me, understanding that we will eat at different times, have own our food, wouldn’t be able to enjoy our weekly trips to mcdonalds and I would need to regularly be out of the house doing exercise and so on.

So if there is anyone out there in a similar position I want this my first and last post to be a little encouragement that it can be done, other people have done it and with enough effort you might be able to also.

As for me… tonight I am eating 5 big mac’s, 5 portions of chips, full fat coke and maybe a KFC for pudding. However tomorrow I will be back on the case and although it might take 2 days to get the weight back off it will be done.

If you have made the effort to read this far then hopefully you have found it useful and gives you some confidence that the doctors aren’t always right…. “ you wont be able to reverse it with your levels” she said…. My response today is “nonsense”

I would really like it if you would post a reply to this post on what you thought and wether it helped.

Ross

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Turning your life, way of eating and lifestyle around like that is a great achievement! Well done!

However, I would just like to suggest that encouraging contact via PM, and offering more private details on your method could look like the prelude to a sales pitch.

So I would caution any members who do take up the offer of private messaging to do so with caution, and to not divulge any personal details, in particular their contact details.

Reactions: Jayden2407

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Diabetes Free Now and well done on your success, it's good to hear from individuals who succeed, so long may this continue.

Kellylavelle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi and welcome!

Turning your life, way of eating and lifestyle around like that is a great achievement! Well done!

However, I would just like to suggest that encouraging contact via PM, and offering more private details on your method could look like the prelude to a sales pitch.

So I would caution any members who do take up the offer of private messaging to do so with caution, and to not divulge any personal details, in particular their contact details.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Congratulations on everything. The will, the perseverance, the feeling of well-being, the new you weight and your ability to still know and do a Big Mac and some beer and get back on the track. Total admiration

Reactions: Debandez

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Excellent work. The 800 calorie a day diet is also called the Newcastle Diet:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...-after-one-year-of-direct-trial-98030767.html

tonight I am eating 5 big mac’s, 5 portions of chips, full fat coke and maybe a KFC for pudding.
Yikes!!!!! This begs the question: the 800 calorie a day diet has reversed your diabetes but what will you do going forward? You can't survive on 800 calories a day forever.

And let us know how you feel after the 5,000+ calorie McDonald's/KFC blow out. I don't think I would feel very well after doing that, but I doubt I could eat that much junk food in one go anyway.

Should be easy to keep the Special K in the morning (115 cals), then lunch omelette (lots of different things can be put in - 300-500 Cals), dinner salmon fillet and salad (250 Cals). so something like that as a average would mean i still stick to around 800-900 cals.

Christina0308

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your lifestyle change, excellent progress and fantastic reductions..:D

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What surprised me was the doctor saying in 10 years he had never seen anyone do this, which sounds mad to just accept it and not try and fix things.

That is not unusual and usually the standard response from HCP's

I've recently changed GP's and after 6 months they are still struggling to get their heads around it.

The ridiculous thing is, that it is just so simple and easy to do, and could save the NHS millions of ££

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done on improving your health and seeing a new lease of life.

I would just point out for the benefit of members that there are different approaches to managing Diabetes.
We can't all attain the excercise levels shown by the OP and I personally have seen a marked improvement in my numbers without any regimented excercise whatsoever.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Diabetes Free Now ,

Welcome to the forum.

Wow! That's a great turnaround on your A1c. Since your first at diagnosis. :cool:

Your third A1c without any meds. (just diet managed.) when is this scheduled with your HCPs?

There are plenty of recipes for low carbers that could even satisfy the faves you thought were out the window?
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes

Please ask some of the guys on here.

Kind regards.

J>

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Diabetes Free Now - In total, including drinks/beer, how many calories a day are you consuming, and what is currently happening with your weight?

I can't quite make a clear interpretation if you are continuing on a 700-800 calories a day, or a total of 700-800 calories a day, plus beer calories.

700-800 calories in food, 700-800 calories in beer, total about 1500 ish in calories per day. Even if it went to 2000 calories in take I always burnt over 3700.

Doing this meant I was still able to loose on average 0.15-0.20kg per day.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never written a blog / post etc but i wanted to do this today to show how anyone with Type 2 can try and get rid of it using the same process that i followed. Its scary when someone tells you that you have a chronic condition and I hope anyone reading this will take confidence that with some focus and dedication you can reverse the condition with type 2.

I am 39 years old (Male) and in January 2018 i was feeling quite unwell, really tired all the time, going for lots of wee's, dry skin, lost a bit of weight without trying and generally felt under the weather. So i went to the doctors where they tested my blood sugar levels. On the test it came in at 18.8 (should have been under 7) then following a HbA1c blood test the reading was at 109 (basically off the scale it was so high). The doctor told me the same day that it was highly unlikely to be able to reverse it as the reading was so high. Now like most people when they say you cant ' wont do something it quite often gives you even more motivation. They also told me to take 1000mg of Metaformin… this I thought was excessive so I told the doctor I would only take 500G (i.e. 1 tablet in the evening) and see what the blood tests at home I was doing looked like.

So from that day i started off basically just eating eggs, tuna, mackerel, salmon fillets and vegetables. I stopped drinking red bulls everyday, stopped eating fast food and whatever i ate did NOT come from a packet nor could it be microwaved, instead i made it. In January i was about 16.5 stone with a BMI of 30. I then started walking everyday slowing building up to on average 10KM per day (this was really helped by getting a fitbit). I also started to run initially just 0.3Km then built this up daily to 5KM. Now i am a heavy smoker and this hasnt changed and i also like beer and i didnt change either. It was just the diet and exercise I focused on.

Everyday i would weigh myself and found that on average i would loose 0.15KG everyday on average. Today is the 8th June and i weigh 12.6st having lost about 4 stone since mid January. I dont feel any different but i did have to buy all new clothes.

I went to the doctor this morning to get my results of the second HbA1c test. I was so pleased to see that in 5 months my reading went from 109 to just 37. Effectively putting the type 2 diagnosis into remission. The doctor said you dont have diabetes now and I don’t need to take any medicine, however if you go back to eating rubbish and not doing any exercise it could come back. I am so pleased with myself I almost cried.

Having lived (quite healthy.. not including smoking and beer consumption) i cant see any issue with continuing with the same diet. It nice people complementing you on how you look and I wouldn’t want to go back to being overweight. I would suggest buying some scales for the kitchen so when you measure out the food you know exactly the amount. You wouldn’t believe how small a recommended portion of Special K looks like till you measure !

I should have said i have a 5 year most gorgeous daughter and the thought of passing away early due to this condition scared the life out of me. The doctor had told me I was as likely to have a heart attack as someone who had already had one. So everyday i would do the following :

80 sit ups

50 press ups (breaks every 10)

8-10Km walk

5Km run

Special K every morning for breakfast (30 grams)

Salmon fillet and salad for lunch or a tuna salad

No snacks or chocolate

No fizzy drinks

Eggs in the evening with some more salad, typically a omelette with 15g cheese and tuna

Beer in the evening

Daily food in take was around 700-800 calories / beer in take 700 calories (on average)

This was pretty much my daily process for just over 100 days. And today after doing this i no longer have diabetes. Now i understand it only in remission and could come back if i start being unhealthy again but for me to not take any medicines and have a normal blood sugar readings in my mind makes me clear of the condition.

What surprised me was the doctor saying in 10 years he had never seen anyone do this, which sounds mad to just accept it and not try and fix things. With focus on a goal (for me it was to not take any medicine and to have a BMI of 25 or less) you can prove doctors wrong. Their starting point is to just give out tablets and not try and make their patients put the work in to avoid a lifetime of medication.

I appreciate being only 39 helped and it wouldn’t have been anywhere near as easy without my wife supporting me, understanding that we will eat at different times, have own our food, wouldn’t be able to enjoy our weekly trips to mcdonalds and I would need to regularly be out of the house doing exercise and so on.

So if there is anyone out there in a similar position I want this my first and last post to be a little encouragement that it can be done, other people have done it and with enough effort you might be able to also.

As for me… tonight I am eating 5 big mac’s, 5 portions of chips, full fat coke and maybe a KFC for pudding. However tomorrow I will be back on the case and although it might take 2 days to get the weight back off it will be done.

If you have made the effort to read this far then hopefully you have found it useful and gives you some confidence that the doctors aren’t always right…. “ you wont be able to reverse it with your levels” she said…. My response today is “nonsense”

I would really like it if you would post a reply to this post on what you thought and wether it helped.

Ross

Very well done on making a plan of action, sticking to it, and congratulations on the great results!

Not wanting to rain on your parade in the slightest, but I'm also curious as to whether you have a blood glucose meter you use at home. I ask this purely because a lot of people who have managed to get their HbA1c's down to healthy / non-diabetic levels still get quite nasty blood sugar spikes when they eat carbs.

If you test before, then 2 hours after eating a certain meal and the reading hasn't gone up more than 2mmol/l, and is less than 7.8 (according to one particular study) then you are doing well in terms of low risk of complications.

If you can have Special K with milk and meet those targets, then that's good. If you can have the fast food binge you mention and meet those targets, then you are doing astoundingly well - I suspect a lot of non-diabetic people would struggle. But either way, getting a home glucose meter makes it a belt-and-braces job. The great HbA1c is the belt and using a glucose meter to ensure you keep blood sugar low after eating is the braces.

Reactions: Debandez
Yes i was given a blood sugar reading thing when i was told of the condition in January. I check it reguarly and the average reading throughout the day, week, month, last 110 days has been 4.88 when samples are taken on a random basis.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes i have a blood sugar meter at home which i used everyday to understand what foods caused any sort of spike. Once i found the foods that didnt cause any issues i just stuck to them.

That's good news on getting a meter. You'll get a good daily gauge on your diet & possibly any experiments with other dishes you may want to try. :)

When is your next A1c test scheduled?