Gousto meals

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After a long stay in hospital, my daughter has been diagnosed as a Type 1 Diabetic and going forward we must calculate all the carbohydrates within her meals so that I know how much insulin she needs to be injected with (which I’m sure everyone on this thread knows about) On the Gousto recipe cards it states per person, supplied ingredients, pre-cooking. In order to calculate the carbohydrates and give the correct dose of insulin, I need the cooked value of carbohydrates as they differ from the pre cooked (which is what the nurses have told me) Is there anyway of obtaining this information? I’ve always found Gousto to be an easy way of dealing with my family meals and juggling work so it would be a shame if I can’t use them anymore.

Pam*

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I would think they would be the same, pre cooked and cooked.
I use the book called Carbs and Cals a lot by Chris Cheyette and Yello Balolia.
I have only been diabetic since April 2022 so I'm still learning.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought so too but the diabetes nurse said that it actually isn’t and that I need to find the cooked value, I’ve emailed Gousto and they can’t provide me with that information as they don’t have it. We got discharged from the hospital last night and we’re really struggling with meals, it doesn’t help that I have nothing in the house so tonight’s meal will have to be a takeaway but going forward I need simplicity.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

If it’s a takeaway from maybe a chain? Most have a “nutritional value” list regarding the product. (Online.) Including the carb count per portion. This includes “of which are sugars.” But to me the amount of the “of which” determines how fast the meal could hit me in relation to the insulin working profile.?

Just keep a close eye on BGs just in case..

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @ProudmumofT1warrior

I have used Gousto in the past but I tend to go by what I see on the plate after preparing the meal and establishing the carb value then, so generally if it's chips/potatoes/rice/pasta (which it normally is in these) then I use carb and cals as a guide to portion size on the plate, yes it's not accurate and yes it's a guesstimate, but I always err on the side of caution anyway and take less than what I think I need and then top up with insulin later if i feel I missed the mark, alternatively if i've been running high and didn't want the carbs then I put them onto other family member's plates and gone low carb instead. I generally would eat less carbs than they suggest in their portions as I feel they do go heavy on carbs on most of their meals anyway.

It's still doable and I appreciate you very much want to weigh things and have values given accurately but just giving less insulin than you think she will need is best rather than too much or not using Gousto at all, particularly as they do make life much easier.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After a long stay in hospital, my daughter has been diagnosed as a Type 1 Diabetic and going forward we must calculate all the carbohydrates within her meals so that I know how much insulin she needs to be injected with (which I’m sure everyone on this thread knows about) On the Gousto recipe cards it states per person, supplied ingredients, pre-cooking. In order to calculate the carbohydrates and give the correct dose of insulin, I need the cooked value of carbohydrates as they differ from the pre cooked (which is what the nurses have told me) Is there anyway of obtaining this information? I’ve always found Gousto to be an easy way of dealing with my family meals and juggling work so it would be a shame if I can’t use them anymore.
Am not a T1 so can't help but just popped in to say love the username. Your daughter is lucky to have you with that great attitude :)

BD101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @ProudmumofT1warrior

I have used Gousto in the past but I tend to go by what I see on the plate after preparing the meal and establishing the carb value then, so generally if it's chips/potatoes/rice/pasta (which it normally is in these) then I use carb and cals as a guide to portion size on the plate, yes it's not accurate and yes it's a guesstimate, but I always err on the side of caution anyway and take less than what I think I need and then top up with insulin later if i feel I missed the mark, alternatively if i've been running high and didn't want the carbs then I put them onto other family member's plates and gone low carb instead. I generally would eat less carbs than they suggest in their portions as I feel they do go heavy on carbs on most of their meals anyway.

It's still doable and I appreciate you very much want to weigh things and have values given accurately but just giving less insulin than you think she will need is best rather than too much or not using Gousto at all, particularly as they do make life much easier.

BD101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The carbs quoted by Gousto assumes you have half of ALL the ingredients, including the sauces and spices. Some meals include things like honey, so unless you’re mopping up every scrap of your half of the meal, including the sauce, the numbers are going to be off. Sometimes I struggle to see where they’ve got their figures! Having said that, don’t obsess about it. Use their numbers as a guide but also eyeball the food and use common sense and experience , maybe weigh the major carb elements when serving. And don’t worry about the cooked/uncooked difference, it’s not significant. If you’re newly diagnosed don’t worry, you will learn from experience.