Gout and type 2

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed type 2 about a month ago. Two weeks ago my thumb swelled up and was very painful. This happened again yesterday. The Doctor thinks I may have gout. Blood tests have been arranged. While looking for information about gout I discovered that gout sufferers often have type 2 diabetes. Has anyone else had this? Thank you.

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
I was diagnosed type 2 about a month ago. Two weeks ago my thumb swelled up and was very painful. This happened again yesterday. The Doctor thinks I may have gout. Blood tests have been arranged. While looking for information about gout I discovered that gout sufferers often have type 2 diabetes. Has anyone else had this? Thank you.

hi, sorry you have the pain of gout, my Dad used to get it he was type 2, i don't think they connected them in those days, so much more is known now. sorry i can't help more, hope you're ok soon

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had one bout of gout in the foot. Hurt like hell. I went to a pharmacy and bought some Ibu Profen for it. I am a type 2 but I thought the gout might be more to do with my drinking. Who knows.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I am right handed and the pain and swelling is in my right hand. My partner has his leg in plaster so we are muddling along lol

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone else had this type of joint swelling?

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your doctor should give you allopurinol to prevent it happening again in the future. Avoid things like shellfish and especially kippers. Cherries help prevent an attack. If drink was to blame then I would be permanently in pain! I have had two flare ups in ten years using allopurinol and it is two too many...with regards to pain.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for info bobrobert. They want the blood tests to prove its gout and then they will prescribe a preventer like you mentiolned. I did not know about cherries. I will get some today. It really is incredibly painful.:)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah thank you. This was the article which mentioned the link between gout and type 2 diabetes. Im going to try the cherries. Thanks:)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone else had this type of joint swelling?

Yes, I first had it whilst on holiday in Germany. It was in the joint where the thumb meets the hand. I couldn't use the gearstick in the car.

The doctor explained that it was a buildup of uric acid crystals which get deposited in the joints. These then inflame the surrounding tissue. Both the inflamation needs to be treated and the crystals need to be removed. 600mg ibuprofen is needed to reduce the inflamation and you need something like 7 large glasses of water per day to flush the crystals away. In this case the doctor just gave me an injection though and said it would be gone in 4 hours, which it was. He also gave me some tablets to counteract gout and a note to give to my GP in the UK.

600mg ibuprofen is prescription strength, you can't buy them. The reason is, is that ibuprofen at that strength can be dangerous for some people with heart conditions. At that strength, it does raise blood pressure for example, so don't go and swallow three 200 mg pills which are faster to release the dose than a single 600 mg pill. Yuo could do yourself some damage. Ask the GP.

The crystals build up when you eat a lot of protein and do not drink enough water, so you can see why some type 2 diabetics get it. I got mine many years before I was diagnosed with type 2 and I had been eating lots of german cheeses, sausage, eggs etc at hotel buffets and not drinking much water at all. I was also on furosomide, which is a diuretic, so I got somewhat dehydrated.

I have only had one other episode since but I took 600mg of ibuprofen to reduce the swelling and dranks lots of water and it subsided greatly by the time I got to see the doc. Never heard of anyone getting that wonderful injection that I got in germany though.

Just drink lots of water, even if you don't eat much protein. It's the best preventative there is. You've got to flush the crystals away if you have gout and better still, stop them forming in the first place. This is what they look like:

img_BetweenGoutAttacks.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought the gout might be more to do with my drinking. Who knows.

Drinking alcohol can have a diuretic effect and cause you to become dehydrated. If you combine that with eating lots of protein, it can cause gout.

It is unbelievably painful. You can't even touch the inflamed area gently without it hurting. It's like a flame.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Yorksman that was really interesting. That is exactly where I have got it and being right handed it is awful. The Doctor used to prescribe diclofenic but cant now as I have a heart problem. I too take a diuretic and the Doctor did wonder if this was increasing the problems. I have had naproxin prescribed until they get the results of the blood test. It was very slow to take effect. ;)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had naproxin prescribed until they get the results of the blood test. It was very slow to take effect. ;)

Yep, that's the standard. Diclofenic used to be prescribed in place of Ibuprofen and now that they have changed their minds about that, they prescribe naproxin. He should have told you to drink seven large glasses of water throughout the day. The tablets get the inflamation down, thee water washes those nastly needle like crystals away.

And reduce the protein intake.

But the photo shows clearly why it is so painful. They are very sharp.

Have a read of this NHS dietary management of Gout leaflet

Reactions: 3 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes they look like needles. I will make sure I drink plenty of water. Thank you :)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suppose I am eating more protein since I started low carb diet.

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
I had a severe attack of gout a few years before 'official' diagnosis. But I have later been told that I had diabetes already back then (only that my then doctor forgot to tell me!).

I couldn't step down on the foot - terribly painful - nor could I get myself to my doctor as I wasn't even able to walk the short way to a taxi to take me there. However, I read it up on the internet and found that if you do nothing, it will eventually pass by itself. So as there is not really a cure, only maybe pain reduction with e.g. ibuprofen, I resigned myself to moving around sitting in my wheeled office chair, and more or less crawling up my stairs and bumping myself down again on my backside - Ha!

But take courage, it will pass. Mine took about six days. It has so far not reoccured. But I wouldn't bet my life that it won't.

And yes, I also read about cherries being good for your. Not sure, however, whether this is a preventive food or whether it will actively help you during an active attack, though.

annelise

- hope you will get better soon :)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Annelise. I bought cherries yesterday and ate them with enjoyment. mY hand is a bit better this morning but as soon asItry to do anything the pain gets worse. Thank you for your kind wishes. :)

Reactions: 3 people

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
MMMMMmmm I had gout attacks long before I was diagnosed T2.

People who have gout attacks have high levels of uric acid all the time and an attack comes when it gets high enough to form a crystal.. When the crystal forms in a joint the joint builds up fluid to lubricate the joint hence the swelling.

It is purines not proteins that causes the saturations of uric acid into crystal If a crystal forms in your kidney it can be lethal.

The medications are only anti inflammatary last time I looked.

A local university was trying to grow low purine pork but I did not hear of any breakthrough. There are a lot of old wives tales around about gout but the purines can be found in shellfish, offal and pork. It is a build up of purines that get me. So I can eat a few prawns and I am fine but if I back up over the next few days I could regret it.

If you look up gout and purines in the Australian Macquarie Dictionary it will tell you the basics.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello bobrobert. yes Im keeping up the cherry eating. :)