Govt - Self Testing NoNo - for attention Admin

bluebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Grumpy folks and taking tablets
Hi Dan
I would certainly be interested in participating in the way you suggest. I think that the govt. are treating us shabbily - we are trying to prevent future complications and are trying to keep healthy.

Regards Val

Dodger

Dislikes
Lamb
Hi Dan, yes I would be very interested in a petition and also a poll for the different areas, thanks. :D

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dear Forum Users,

You asked for it, we've built it. In order to give these petitions weight, we ask you to add an email address - this will not be shown publicly on the website but is necessary if the petitions are to carry weight.

When you add your comment, I need to approve each one to keep the spam out, so check back to see yours added (unless I'm on the page at the time)

Here it is:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-petitions/

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We are editing to remove implications that the Government backed this in any way, as Sarah has pointed out this was not the case, before we go live or link publicly. Please check back on the slightly edited petition - the point and message remains the same.

Regards,

Admin

bluebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Hello Administrator

I posted comments on the petition on 1st May and they haven't appeared on the view petition responses. Is this because Admin have yet to approve or do I need to post again as it has got lost in the system somewhere?

Regards Val

et2nelk

It's started already!!
As a new Type 2 diabetic and diet control only, I do not receive anything from my doctor, I've only to go in for blood tests once a year. OK so my BG isn't high but a year is a long time and anything could happen!! I'm naughty and have bought strips etc myself and do test twice a week. I had gestational diabetes whilst pregnant 4 years ago so I have a little knowledge.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum,et2nwlk,Once a year testing is just not acceptable! If you live in England speak to your doctor/nurse about the NICE recommendations for type 2's to be able to self test and the fact that you want to be able to check that what you are eating is not putting up your BS too much.Once a year testing could mean that for a whole year your BS could be very high with consequent dangers of diabetic retinopathy(eye damage),neuropathy (nerve damage) and any of the other complications of diabetes,I wonder how your doctor would feel if he was sued because his care in the management of your diabetes was so lacking. :evil:

SilverAndEbony

I have to say that I have found testing my blood and worrying about the results very stressful. Especially after I was diagnosed over 6 years ago now. I still worries me, but as my diabetes nurse doesn't even look at my results I'm less stressed about them. As my HbA1c levels have been in the 6-7 range she is not too worried. I get tested every 6 months and know to go back to her if my tests results change drastically.
I have type 2 and control my blood glucose levels with diet, exercise and metformin.

But I have to say, I'm worried by someone saying 4.2 (I think that was it) was dangerously low. I didn't think it was dangerous! I get a reading of 4.5 or lower when I test my blood when I get in from work sometimes.

I have only just starting looking at this site - is there anywhere that I can find useful info about blood testing? My diabetes nurse says she's keeping an eye on me, and will let me know if there's anything to worry about.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum Silver&ebony,Metformin is a diabetic drug that does not cause hypos.I often have a 4.something when I get in from work!!How do you feel at this level? If you feel fine then don't worry about it.I'm sure lots of non diabetics have a BS of 4.7 and don't even know it! If you feel a bit shaky at this level well have something to eat,I'm sure you eat when you come home from work anyway,I know I do. Have a good browse around the forum but be aware that we are all different and that everyone has their own way of dealing with their diabetes .The trick is to find what works for you and what you are comfortable with.It is a highly complex and confusing thing,diabetes, but together we support and help each other.

et2nelk

hi Sue

Thanks for your reply, I'm from scotland and am in the health care profession myself and I think they forget i'm a dental nurse and not a nurse. Yes i have some knowledge needed to recognise symptoms but as I never had any symptoms to start with! i think I'll have to have a wee word with the doctor and not the diabetic nurse. The nurse has said to cut out all sugar except the occassional rich tea biscuit and I don't need to go back until october, and 'she' thinks I have the willpower (sorry i'm being a bit sarcastic)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Well i didn't have sympoms that i noticed either.I went in with stress and came out with type 2 ,sort of buy one get one free! :lol: :lol: Just because your a HCP doesn't mean you know all about diabetes!It wasn't something I dealt with a lot so I knew very little except the basics.Thank God for the internet and ,eventually ,here.Another Scot,yep we will outnumber them eventually. :lol: :lol:

Er1nyes

I am a type 2 on insulin and was appalled when my "ex-GP" told me I was testing too much and that my test strips would be severely restricted! Thankfully I had the choice to go to another local GP and they are way more clued up about the benefits of regular testing.

I made a formal complaint (so it would be on record) saying I felt that my ex-GP was in effect witholding treatment.

I found an ally in Diabetes UK in that they sent me a letter with additional information that I could give to my GP's practice manager outlining the importance of testing which I sent to them AFTER I left.

bluebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Hi

Are we going to petition the govt/nhs or has the interest been to small a number to make it worthwhile?

Val

Honey monster

I found this on the Diabetes uk web site
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/

Blood glucose and urine testing are vital for good self-care in order to maintain optimum control, and to enable the person to make appropriate treatment or lifestyle choices. People with diabetes value being able to monitor their blood glucose levels for themselves as it enables them to better manage their diabetes, take control of their lives and help prevent devastating and potentially costly complications.

However in many parts of the UK people are being deprived of home blood glucose testing equipment and supplies because of postcode prescribing, blanket bans or restrictions imposed by Primary Care Organisations (PCOs) or through clinicians’ inadequate knowledge of diabetes or the individual patient’s needs.

Diabetes UK believes that people with diabetes should have access to home blood glucose monitoring based on individual clinical need and not on their, or the NHS’s ability to pay. It is counter productive the try and save the NHS money in this way. There are considerable cost savings to be made from supporting self management, by reducing the frequency of support needed from the NHS and preventing people with diabetes from needing hospital treatment either with diabetes emergencies or long term complications.

Restrictions on the type and numbers of testing strips is unacceptable as this does not meet individual needs and circumstances. National guidelines and frameworks set the standards of care that people with diabetes should expect and prioritise information, education, training and support to enable people to manage their diabetes themselves.

If you agree that such restrictions are wrong, or have had difficulty in accessing testing strips please join our campaign to get this issue recognized.

Over 300 people took part in our first e-campaign on access to blood testing strips. If you are still experiencing difficulties,
please email the Diabetes Campaigners Network. [email protected]

junieliz

hi honey monster, your post is very good reading and to the point it says all that we have been trying to say together and has some kick behind it, what we need! Let us all stick together on this it is very worrying junieliz