GP has changed the rules

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I recently had a blood test, so I had a look on my medical history online in Patient Access to look at previous results, only to find all my records were missing.
That is to say, my Medical History on Patient Access had been stripped.
Even subheadings have been removed - problems, test results, documents, consultations, immunisations. Only medications and immunisations subheadings remained and only repeat precriptions were shown.
I enquired at the practice and no-one knew what had happened. I was advised to fill out a new application form, but that was pointless because I already had a Patient Access account. It says on Patient Access that only the GP can change these records.
I had a telephone appointment with a doctor to discuss the test results, but they had no idea what was going on, and they pomised to follow up.
Finally, this morning, I rang again and asked to speak to the Practice Manager, who was away, again. After a short delay and many side conversations I could overhear at the other end, I was told that the GP Practice policy has changed and that access to records would only be given a month at a time, after which you would have to re-apply!
Surely that is against the government guidelines, it is my data after all, not theirs!
Has anyone alse had this happen and does anyone have any advice on what I can do about it, please?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just checked mine on System Online and all records back to earliest vaccinations are there.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/gps/gp-online-services/

But I just noticed this.. which might be a change..

Screenshot 2020-07-21 at 17.03.08.png

Were the "some " and "may" there before?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My records on Patient Access are all still there.

However, they did disappear last year sometime. I waited a while as I assumed it was a glitch, but before I could moan to the practice about it, they all came back. Apparently it was something to do with an update.

Max68

Do you have to request this particular service re medical record etc? On my Patient Access I can only access repeat medication or book appointments. Nothing in the Medical Record Section bar Allergies (of which I have none) and Meds. Maybe different practices have different rules on what they make available?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have to request this particular service re medical record etc? On my Patient Access I can only access repeat medication or book appointments. Nothing in the Medical Record Section bar Allergies (of which I have none) and Meds. Maybe different practices have different rules on what they make available?
Yes you have to request it. There is a form to complete and a doctor has to sign it off. I was given the form at the same time as requesting access.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently had a blood test, so I had a look on my medical history online in Patient Access to look at previous results, only to find all my records were missing.
That is to say, my Medical History on Patient Access had been stripped.
Even subheadings have been removed - problems, test results, documents, consultations, immunisations. Only medications and immunisations subheadings remained and only repeat precriptions were shown.
I enquired at the practice and no-one knew what had happened. I was advised to fill out a new application form, but that was pointless because I already had a Patient Access account. It says on Patient Access that only the GP can change these records.
I had a telephone appointment with a doctor to discuss the test results, but they had no idea what was going on, and they pomised to follow up.
Finally, this morning, I rang again and asked to speak to the Practice Manager, who was away, again. After a short delay and many side conversations I could overhear at the other end, I was told that the GP Practice policy has changed and that access to records would only be given a month at a time, after which you would have to re-apply!
Surely that is against the government guidelines, it is my data after all, not theirs!
Has anyone alse had this happen and does anyone have any advice on what I can do about it, please?

Brian - What a pain.

My GP used to only allow patients access to their Summary and Coded Records, not Full Record. A number of months ago I noticed the "Full Record option was available to select, but I did not have access to it. I contacted the surgery, where I was advised to full record access required an additional written request, which was annoying, but I could see a potential for some concerns for some people seeing the additional information. (Detrimental to mental health or whatever.)

I applied, and was almost immediately given access, but only the past 1 year. I contacted them again, as I had previously had access to my full life, albeit the coded record. When I queried this, I was told I hadn't asked for my full life, and their policy was only to grant 1 year, unless the request was absolutely specific. Needless to say, my further application was for access to all available areas of my medical records, for my lifetime.

There have been changes during COVID, but they relate solely to booking appointments, which I will spare you.

Perhaps a letter being very specific of your request. I would also ask for written and detailed reasons why they are unable to comply with my request in full, should they decline, or feel unable to comply. I would certainly do everything in writing. That requires effort n their behalf, rather than a "computer says No" that's so easy to deliver orally.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the same issue - when I ask about 6 months when I would be given access to my records in line with the NHS instruction a couple of years ago I was told that my practice didn’t sign up to it when they rolled it out so I can only make appointments and order repeat meds.

Davyb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had summary record access, (ability to make appointments, order medication)
I was using the SystmOnline app (and Web interface from my desktop mac).
I saw that there was also the AirMid UK app, in the AirMid app I simply asked for full record access. A few days later it was granted but only goes back a little over a year. I've been with the practice since I was 5 apart from 15 years (University and 12 years living elsewhere) I've been back with the practice some 28 years and was diagnosed in 1996. The practice in my time has changed from 3 partners with 2 clinic sites to 4 clinic sites (a few months ago 2 practices merged) There are 10 partners and 9 salaried GPs and often a number of GP registrars (GPs in training) The practice runs Satellite Clinics so I only saw the hospital Diabetic service when I transitioned to insulin for about a year.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
it is my data after all, not theirs!

One of several quotes obtained from NHS and other sources:

Patient records
, both private and NHS, are not the patient's property. Patients are not entitled to take possession of the originals. However, under data protection legislation they have a right to view their original records and to obtain copies of them. A patient cannot stipulate the content of their records.

Personally I won't be trying to tell my surgery that it's my data, they might start charging me for storing it. I disagree with the last statement. I spotted a mistake in my records and asked my surgery to correct it.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A few years ago I wanted to have full details of my medical records and submitted a ‘Subject Access Request’to the GP surgery. I was charged £50 and given a room in the practice and, accompanied by an admin assistant, (who was there should I need any help) spent several hours going through all the paper records that had accumulated over my lifetime. I took copies of letters and test results I felt were important. Glad I did , as I think these have since been archived (culled /destroyed) . Some relevant and important documents. I am not sure if the info from them would have been lost forever, as the online record I have access to now does not have all the details that were in paper record.

Max68

Never even thought about it to be honest as each time I had a blood test I went an and asked for a print out and always filed them and every consultant result etc I received trough the post. Would be handy though as most of the consultants I have seen over the years seem blissfully unaware on why you are there and certainly have never seen results of other consultations you have had. A fully shared record would improve the communication between health professionals as well, in my case anyway!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few years ago I wanted to have full details of my medical records and submitted a ‘Subject Access Request’to the GP surgery. I was charged £50 and given a room in the practice and, accompanied by an admin assistant, (who was there should I need any help) spent several hours going through all the paper records that had accumulated over my lifetime. I took copies of letters and test results I felt were important. Glad I did , as I think these have since been archived (culled /destroyed) . Some relevant and important documents. I am not sure if the info from them would have been lost forever, as the online record I have access to now does not have all the details that were in paper record.
Never even thought about it to be honest as each time I had a blood test I went an and asked for a print out and always filed them and every consultant result etc I received trough the post. Would be handy though as most of the consultants I have seen over the years seem blissfully unaware on why you are there and certainly have never seen results of other consultations you have had. A fully shared record would improve the communication between health professionals as well, in my case anyway!

Pipp - On my way to a fairly recent PPG meeting, going through the corridors, we passed through the record archive. It is just thousand, upon thousands of old-stylee medical records, in their buff folder/envelopes, files alphabetically. I asked if my ancient records would be in there somewhere. The response was along the lines of, "Yes. Nothing is destroyed."

I can only imagine that's by directive as the paperwork was occupying a lot of space, and clearly, just by it's very being is a fire risk.

Max - I had a hospital clinic appointment on Monday (by telephone), as a new referral to a discipline I had never consulted before.

I was more than a little sceptical what could come out of it, bearing in mind how little they would know about me. It was a Consultant > Consultant referral. However, the consulting doctor clearly had access to my historic blood results, done in both primary and secondary care..

Additionally, about 2 years ago I saw an Endo, privately, but he had reviewed my GP records, and another Endo's notes and comments.

The latter, I'm not entirely how correct it was for him, in a non-NHS setting, to access my NHS records, but in terms of making progress, it was helpful to me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A fully shared record would improve the communication between health professionals as well, in my case anyway!

On my Patient Access medical records on line there is a category "GP shared record history". This tells me if any third party has been allowed access to my records. I was in hospital a couple of years ago. On discharge I looked at my on-line records and there, under the shared record category, was a note saying my GP records had been shared with the hospital.

Max68

Pipp - On my way to a fairly recent PPG meeting, going through the corridors, we passed through the record archive. It is just thousand, upon thousands of old-stylee medical records, in their buff folder/envelopes, files alphabetically. I asked if my ancient records would be in there somewhere. The response was along the lines of, "Yes. Nothing is destroyed."

Max - I had a hospital clinic appointment on Monday (by telephone), as a new referral to a discipline I had never consulted before.

I was more than a little sceptical what could come out of it, bearing in mind how little they would know about me. It was a Consultant > Consultant referral. However, the consulting doctor clearly had access to my historic blood results, done in both primary and secondary care..

Additionally, about 2 years ago I saw an Endo, privately, but he had reviewed my GP records, and another Endo's notes and comments.

The latter, I'm not entirely how correct it was for him, in a non-NHS setting, to access my NHS records, but in terms of making progress, it was helpful to me.

Interesting, maybe it depends on the consultant.

I emailed my surgery earlier and they sent me a form to complete which I have now done. Emailed it back and they get the GP to authorise my access to the medical records,. Quite surprised they allowed it through email but they don't want every Tom, **** and Harry going in with their driving licence I suspect!

Edit, Can't believe the above was edited out!! :):):)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I wonder Tom Penis and Harry any better

How odd

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife had to go to hospital for a pre-op assessment. The consultant apologised for keeping us waiting saying that she had been reading my wife's notes, the folder was on her desk. My wife remarked how thick the folder was and the consultant said "Oh that's nothing some patient's notes run into several volumes".
I think if a consultant hasn't got your notes it is probably because they haven't bothered to request them. Van loads of notes are still being ferried between GPs and hospitals every day, all rather pathetic in 2020.

Max68

My wife had to go to hospital for a pre-op assessment. The consultant apologised for keeping us waiting saying that she had been reading my wife's notes, the folder was on her desk. My wife remarked how thick the folder was and the consultant said "Oh that's nothing some patient's notes run into several volumes".
I think if a consultant hasn't got your notes it is probably because they haven't bothered to request them. Van loads of notes are still being ferried between GPs and hospitals every day, all rather pathetic in 2020.

I have a filing cabinet rather than a file - Being upgraded to wardrobe this year!!! :arghh:

I wonder Tom Penis and Harry any better

How odd

Tom, Richard and Harry!! :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
To anyone who is not given long-term access to their test results and coded patient records I would advise them to ask the Practice Manager (demand even very politely) and remind the Manager that it is NHS policy to provide access unless there is a very good reason. You might want to suggest if the access is denied that you will be contacting the CCG and the PPG. I'm on my surgery PPG team and I would certainly raise the issue with the Practice Manager if our surgery denied access but it does provide it so no problem.