Type 2 Grapefruit

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm not sure if this in diabetes (type 2) related as I have high blood pressure also.
I take metformin and I've been eating a lot of grapefruit as part of a healthy eating plan but last night I fainted twice and someone said it could be related to gpefruit? Has anyone else heard of this?
Thanks in advance L.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Grapefruit can affect the efficiency of some blood pressure medications. Which bp meds are you prescribed?

Reactions: Loukay1

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
For better blood glucose management fruit intake should be lowered, in my opinion. Many of those with Type 2 Diabetes or Pre Diabetes find that whole fruit, fruit juices and smoothies cause bg spikes and can negatively affect weight loss. It is the fructose in fruit which can exacerbate fatty liver.

I, personally, eat berries with double cream occasionally as a treat and avoid all other fruit.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Lisinopril
I couldn't find a direct link between this particular drug and grapefruit but as an ACE Inhibitor(?) it is recommended to avoid fruits such as grapefruit, limes and Seville oranges.

Reactions: zand and Loukay1

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For better blood glucose management fruit intake should be lowered, in my opinion. Many of those with Type 2 Diabetes or Pre Diabetes find that whole fruit, fruit juices and smoothies cause bg spikes and can negatively affect weight loss. It is the fructose in fruit which can exacerbate fatty liver.

I, personally, eat berries with double cream occasionally as a treat and avoid all other fruit.
Thanks, there's just so much conflicting information

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I couldn't find a direct link between this particular drug and grapefruit but as an ACE Inhibitor(?) it is recommended to avoid fruits such as grapefruit, limes and Seville oranges.
Really? Thank you for your help

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Ramipril same family as Lisinopril, an ACE inhibitor. I personally have never liked grapefruit but wouldn’t eat it now due to its Fructose content however something rings a bell that you shouldn’t eat grapefruit whilst on them.

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I take Ramipril same family as Lisinopril, an ACE inhibitor. I personally have never liked grapefruit but wouldn’t eat it now due to its Fructose content however something rings a bell that you shouldn’t eat grapefruit whilst on them.
Thanks, I've never been told that, will give them a miss & hopefully it will help

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take it too and can confirm you should avoid grapefruit (the fruit or juice) whilst using Lisinopril - multiple times at diabetes clinic visits it's been mentioned, particularly when first prescribed. I've never asked why, just obeyed and I've not fainted :smug: (I've no idea if fainting is a symptom of combining the 2)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A medium grapefruit is IIRC around 30 gm of carb so not on my list of low carb options.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very bazaar, the wife returned from shopping today with a grapefruit! Ironic, grapefruit is never mentioned in our house, yet 3 days after this post she buys one.......spooky

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very bazaar, the wife returned from shopping today with a grapefruit! Ironic, grapefruit is never mentioned in our house, yet 3 days after this post she buys one.......spooky

Was it on offer?! ;)