Grapes lowering blood sugar

welshtony

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Angela

I must concur with the above posts.

The more you read, the more you understand that the real issue you need to address is BG spikes.....and you can only do that by fingerprick testing.

Speaking as someone that was so needle phobic that I refused to have BCG innoculations at school, and subsequently limited my travelling to places I didn't need jabs for, I almost died when I heard I'd need to test myself.

But after the nurse did it a couple of times, and I realised it really didn't hurt, my statto side took over and I wanted to test all the time to work out what would work for me.

I've achieved the results I have over the last year and a bit by dropping 90% of starchy carbs and frequent testing (up to 5 a day), but this discussion has just reminded me that I need to get back onto a more rigid test track, as I've got a bit lax over the last month or so.

Do it! You know it makes sense!

head clansman

Dislikes
rude people , people who can't make an instant decision
hi

really sound advice from the others here anglia , keep a firm check on your daily bgs by monitoring it constantley and when you go for your three monthly check you'll see a much better drop in the levels . my advice listen to them . hc

smcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Angela,

I would be interested to know whether your red grapes are in addition to your usual diet, or are a substitute for another item.

Angela09

Dislikes
Oh, where to start! Am a grumpy old woman!
I wanted to eat something extra at lunchtime and I found that I really liked them plus the nurse said it was ok to eat them. I am going to carry on doing what I am doing as it is working for me. Also some of you may think you are being helpful with your unpleasant remarks but that is actually flaming and is usually banned on most forums. I would certainly never speak to anyone like that. I have said all I have to say and rather wish I hadn't bothered!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
This is a discussion area and many people have different opinions on things. This is not flaming, merely members stating their opinions based on their experiences.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Angela09 said:
I wanted to eat something extra at lunchtime and I found that I really liked them plus the nurse said it was ok to eat them. I am going to carry on doing what I am doing as it is working for me. Also some of you may think you are being helpful with your unpleasant remarks but that is actually flaming and is usually banned on most forums. I would certainly never speak to anyone like that. I have said all I have to say and rather wish I hadn't bothered!

Angela. In defence of all the members who contributed to this thread.....

Mmmmh. Honesty and helpfulness is now considered to be flaming......I don't think so !
I can also see NO evidence of unpleasant remarks anywhere ? Nobody will be banned or warned for the content of this thread so far !

As Sue has stated this is a discussion about Grapes lowering Blood Sugars. I am sure most members were interested to find out how that could be as many of us find that it does the opposite. We here are all talking about blood glucose levels here not HbA1c's. Two entirely different things.

When coming to the Forum and reading posts then we can either take them or leave them. This Forum is renowned for not following the dietary advice meted out by Nurses and GP's. Most member's myself included have found that the standard advice can often be unsatisfactory. Therefore we offer information and help, which you are able to ignore if you wish.

All the advice was well meant and in no way was at all unpleasant.

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I love grapes, I eat them every day and they have very little impact on my BG levels, I suppose I am one of the lucky ones, another fruit I enjoy is pineapple but this I keep to eating once a week in small quantities.

Hogeymama

Hi - I read your postings about red grapes lowering blood sugar levels with interest. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes almost 2 years ago, and have been experimenting with various diet options ever since - I have found the low carb option works best for me. However, I recently tried your suggestion regarding eating red grapes - I took a test before eating red grapes, which was 6.5, then ate quite a few red grapes, and then had a meal of chicken and roasted vegetables, and then took another test an hour after finishing the meal. The result, surprisingly was a reading of 6.0, and then after another hour (2 hours after the mean) another reading of 6.1. I was amazed at this, as my blood sugar always goes up after a meal, as you would expect.

I am not sure if this is some kind of red herring, but I am going to have another experimental go at taking readings before eating red grapes just to see if I get the same results. I am quite amazed at these results if they are really true ones. :)

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Hogeymama

Now that really is interesting and I look forward to hearing how your experiments and test results pan out! :D

kay957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found this, it has been researched that red grapes may help type 2 diabetes

Type 2 diabetes is the most common form of the disease affecting 90 to 95 per cent of the diabetic population, and is the type that occurs later in life, and differs from Type 1, which is usually called juvenile diabetes because the majority of people get it during childhood. Whereas Type 1 is caused by a disorder that crushes the insulin-producing cells, Type 2 usually develops later in life because the body is still creating insulin, but there are not enough cells or the body is using more insulin hormones than it can create.

Researchers at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Centre in Dallas, United States, are using the compound resveratrol - found in red grapes to find out if it can stave off Type 2 diabetes in humans. While the research has primarily been done on mice, author Roberto Coppari has hope because the findings have shown his team how the compound affects the brain.

Makes you wonder if there is any truth in this theory?

C

catherinecherub

catherinecherub said:
Hi Angela,
I think the chemical in red grapes that you are referring to is Resveratrol.
There were some studies done using rodents to see if it would help with lowering blood sugars,

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/166415.php

Red or green grapes are not for me as my blood sugars soar. We are all different springs to mind. :wink:

Catherine.
Hi Kay957.

I think this is what you are referring to. I posted this on the thread on January 18th.

You need to dig a bit deeper into the University of Texas material.

"Even if the foundation for a solution is here, research is not yet closer to a plausible way to administer resveratrol to humans because injection into the brain is not an option."

In the tests the compound extract was injected into the brains of mice. As I mentioned elsewhere, other research used the equivalent amount of the compound in a single dose as that found in around 200 glasses of wine.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Foggitthedoggit said,

"Even if the foundation for a solution is here, research is not yet closer to a plausible way to administer resveratrol to humans because injection into the brain is not an option."

In the tests the compound extract was injected into the brains of mice. As I mentioned elsewhere, other research used the equivalent amount of the compound in a single dose as that found in around 200 glasses of wine.”

So I don’t think I’ll bother with that then – I have enough problems already! :shock: :roll: :shock:

And I don’t suppose that a handful of grapes each day will help anything either except to make you feel happy if you can cope with grapes! :)