Greetings all from a much happier T2

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Copied from another section to this more appropriate one....
Looks like this Gliclazide is going to be a little difficult to control. Tested last night before bed and 4.6 so decided, maybe unwisely to pop a glucose tablet, and woke this morning with a 3.7. This morning I have noticed vision problems like looking at a very badly pixelated screen or an 8 bit game :( It clears up mostly in 5 minutes)

I am not sure whether or not to take my morning 80g Glic or not. I am going to make some porridge and banana with a coffee and see how I go. I may look at halving my evening dose. I am I little lost now and maybe double guessing myself. Any advice gratefully received.

Hi, it's great you're testing. Are you keeping a log of these figures (times/dates.) along with carbs eaten in meals.?
Armed with this info, it will help your doctor to build a picture that can help you with regards to medication review...

All the best!

Thongkon007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm not sure if insulin is compatible with cancer. But for my mother, insulin is used for diabetes.

B

badcat

Gliclazide tend to lead to people putting on wight, having more stroke and heart issues etc......

But it does control BG so reduces eye and foot problems etc.

Try to learn how to control your carbs so that you are able to get off the Gliclazide as soon as possible. Gliclazide is OK as a short term fix, but just like putting a broken leg in plaster, should not be used long term.
I think it is potentially dangerous for forum members to espouse views on how medication should / should not be used - and potentially even more dangerous for anyone else to take the advice as gospel
At best, none of us are medical experts in anything other than our situation and that is all we can offer definitive opinions about
I have been on Gliclizide for over 20 years and have managed to keep the dose stable and relatively low by combining it with v low carb.I have tried following ketogenic and carb free versions of low carb to see if my body can cope without any meds, but it cant.
I have been told by medics that it is very unusual for Gliclizide to work for so long except in cases of monogenic diabetes (Mody, LADA etc) which they now think is what I have. From what I have read, not all monogenic varients of diabetes are sensitive to Gliclizide etc , but in some forms where the ability of the pancreas to produce insulin is compromised, it is the only intervention to work. I think we all need to make very sure we know our facts

Last edited by a moderator:

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I think it is potentially dangerous for forum members to espouse views on how medication should / should not be used - and potentially even more dangerous for anyone else to take the advice as gospel
At best, none of us are medical experts in anything other than our situation and that is all we can offer definitive opinions about
I have been on Gliclizide for over 20 years and have managed to keep the dose stable and relatively low by combining it with v low carb.I have tried following ketogenic and carb free versions of low carb to see if my body can cope without any meds, but it cant.
I have been told by medics that it is very unusual for Gliclizide to work for so long except in cases of monogenic diabetes (Mody, LADA etc) which they now think is what I have. From what I have read, not all monogenic varients of diabetes are sensitive to Gliclizide etc , but in some forms where the ability of the pancreas to produce insulin is compromised, it is the only intervention to work. I think we all need to make very sure we know our facts

I think that's a fair comment. We can only really talk about our own experience. I stopped taking Gliclazide so I could see what was happening on a low carb diet alone..and because I was already on about 15 other meds and really didn't want one more drug to contend with. I never regretted it. Some find that sustaining a low enough carb diet is difficult..ad for some the drug works fine.
I would add though, not wanting to be negative about your own progress, that doctors may well say it is "unusual for Gliclazide to work so long" but perhaps they mean by itself whereas you say you have combined it with very low carb. I just wonder what difference it would make if you stopped the drug...not that I am advocating it profoundly for a second.

B

badcat

I w
I think that's a fair comment. We can only really talk about our own experience. I stopped taking Gliclazide so I could see what was happening on a low carb diet alone..and because I was already on about 15 other meds and really didn't want one more drug to contend with. I never regretted it. Some find that sustaining a low enough carb diet is difficult..ad for some the drug works fine.
I would add though, not wanting to be negative about your own progress, that doctors may well say it is "unusual for Gliclazide to work so long" but perhaps they mean by itself whereas you say you have combined it with very low carb. I just wonder what difference it would make if you stopped the drug...not that I am advocating it profoundly for a second.
I wondered the same. Tried 20g carbs and stopping gliclizide, but my sugars went up to an unchanging 9-11 mmol range. Currently its under 25g with gliclizide

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Hello fellow T2's.

Some quick background: I was diagnosed about 3-4 months ago and have been on Metformin since then, That was until yesterday. I have been suffering somewhat from what I now know are a couple of known side effects of the medication, namely A bad taste in my mouth and reduced appetite. Recently I have been struggling to finish even a couple of slices of buttered toast for dinner, and I dropped 15Kg! I had a wake up BG of over 7.0 every morning and it was downhill from thereon throughout the day, and modifying my diet didn't change that.

That all changed yesterday when I discussed my situation with my GP and he switched me to Gliclazide.. WOW what a difference! I woke this morning with a BG of 4.5, no bad taste and actually finished a bowl of porridge and chopped banana with gusto :) I just hope that it continues. I am aware I now need to keep a lookout for low BG and I am testing 4-5 times a day.

Anyway that's me, I look forward to gleaning as much information from these forums as I can. Wishing health and happiness to you all.

Jeremy

Hi JeremySE18, welcome to the forum, I too am on Gliclazide, started off on 80mg a day but have now been reduced to 40mg and my last HbA1c was 44. I am aiming for lower and hopefully I can achieve that.
Good luck on your journey.