Greetings from NY

Mchad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, just joined today. My name is Mike, and I’m from NY, USA. Not really sure what to write here, but I’ll start with a little history. I was diagnosed with T1D when I was 22 years old. Began with micronase pills but quickly began insulin therapy as the pills were ineffective. Took pretty poor care of myself for many years, too much beer, little concern for diet, etc. Basically treated myself with Humulin 70/30 twice a day and little to no bg monitoring. However somehow managed to stay healthy with no complications. Fast forward to about 15 years ago when I decided to see a real endocrinologist (vs the friendly family doctor) who immediately switched me to lantus/humulog therapy and the frequent bg testing that comes with it. Fast forward another 15 years to now, (in my mid-50’s) when I am using a Dexcom G6 CGM and omnipod pump, along with lantus.

The reason for the lantus is I am a very “large” specimen, 6’3” and build like a truck, though lately more like a truck pulling a trailer. 300lbs. When I was perfectly fit I weighed 240 so I’m basically carrying an extra 60lbs on baggage. My daily basal and bolus insulin dosage would burn through the 200u of the omnipod in a day, so I take a daily lantus shot to offset the need. So I can get two days or so from a pod.

In any case, my health is excellent, my A1c was 5.6 two weeks ago, and my blood pressure and cholesterol are all normal, again to the complete disbelief of my wife and doctor due to the way I continue to eat.

Anyway, I’ve been having a few serious issues with my Dexcom that I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing, hence why I’m here.

Today was the third time the Dexcom read very high, and caused me to take several doses to compensate, only to find my bg crashing all the while the Dexcom read high. Today, was at 182 when I finally used a meter and saw 48. (I have low sensitivity to low glucose unfortunately, and only feel it at the last minute).

I called Dexcom only to have a helpful, but clueless CS rep do nothing more then offer to send me a replacement sensor. I plan on calling tomorrow to speak to a manager about this.

Anyway, has anyone else had similar issues? I haven’t really looked around the forum that much yet so there may be a better place for this question, so if I find it, I’ll post there.

Anyway, sorry for the (way too) long intro...

Mike

Reactions: Juicyj

Mchad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh, and I’m sorry. My numbers are using the US standard mg/dL scale.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi all, just joined today. My name is Mike, and I’m from NY, USA. Not really sure what to write here, but I’ll start with a little history. I was diagnosed with T1D when I was 22 years old. Began with micronase pills but quickly began insulin therapy as the pills were ineffective. Took pretty poor care of myself for many years, too much beer, little concern for diet, etc. Basically treated myself with Humulin 70/30 twice a day and little to no bg monitoring. However somehow managed to stay healthy with no complications. Fast forward to about 15 years ago when I decided to see a real endocrinologist (vs the friendly family doctor) who immediately switched me to lantus/humulog therapy and the frequent bg testing that comes with it. Fast forward another 15 years to now, (in my mid-50’s) when I am using a Dexcom G6 CGM and omnipod pump, along with lantus.

The reason for the lantus is I am a very “large” specimen, 6’3” and build like a truck, though lately more like a truck pulling a trailer. 300lbs. When I was perfectly fit I weighed 240 so I’m basically carrying an extra 60lbs on baggage. My daily basal and bolus insulin dosage would burn through the 200u of the omnipod in a day, so I take a daily lantus shot to offset the need. So I can get two days or so from a pod.

In any case, my health is excellent, my A1c was 5.6 two weeks ago, and my blood pressure and cholesterol are all normal, again to the complete disbelief of my wife and doctor due to the way I continue to eat.

Anyway, I’ve been having a few serious issues with my Dexcom that I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing, hence why I’m here.

Today was the third time the Dexcom read very high, and caused me to take several doses to compensate, only to find my bg crashing all the while the Dexcom read high. Today, was at 182 when I finally used a meter and saw 48. (I have low sensitivity to low glucose unfortunately, and only feel it at the last minute).

I called Dexcom only to have a helpful, but clueless CS rep do nothing more then offer to send me a replacement sensor. I plan on calling tomorrow to speak to a manager about this.

Anyway, has anyone else had similar issues? I haven’t really looked around the forum that much yet so there may be a better place for this question, so if I find it, I’ll post there.

Anyway, sorry for the (way too) long intro...

Mike

Hi Mke and a big welcome to the forum, I just looked up micronase it is says it is used for type 2 diabetes, is that what you were first diagnosed with ?
I don't know anything about the Dexcom, but I'm sure someone will be along to help and advise.
Have good day.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Mchad and welcome to the forum :)

I am a G6 user for about 10 months now and have had some rare high readings however I have a couple of questions about yours - when you get the readings how many days are you into the sensor ? At the time of getting them was this after exercise ?

I tend to cross check any anomalies against a meter reading, as have also made the mistake of bolusing with insulin but it hasn’t caused an issue with hypo fortunately.

Reactions: Knikki

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mchad . Welcome to the forum.
The Dexcom is a brilliant piece of kit. I use the older G4 . Two reasons.
1. Work environment.
2. I tend to find new technology takes time to become good new technology. Teething problems.
But I’ll let you know how I find the G4.
It can be a bit wayward for the first day or so.
It can have more than a 15 minute lag time behind actual blood sugar.
Once your sugars start going high especially it can give wayward readings, usually higher than actual BS.
Occasionally it can seem to get stuck in an area. By that I mean it will show a very straight line for a long period of time when I know full well that it isn’t actually the case.
My first option whenever the Dexcom starts giving me problems is to re calibrate it, even if a calibration isn’t due. This usually sorts it out.
A bit of advice, but I’m guessing you know this already. DON’T let technology override your gut feeling when it comes to diabetes. Don’t let a gadget make you believe your high or low.
Hopefully you can get your problems sorted as the Dexcom’s are a great tool to have especially when they are working.

Mchad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Mke and a big welcome to the forum, I just looked up micronase it is says it is used for type 2 diabetes, is that what you were first diagnosed with ?
I don't know anything about the Dexcom, but I'm sure someone will be along to help and advise.
Have good day.

Yes, it was a long time ago, I expect it was simply the doctors first attempt. It didn’t last long, only a few weeks before I switched to insulin. Definitely type 2. Honestly I don’t recall many of the details from 30+ years ago. I can barely remember what I had for breakfast these days :)

Mchad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the replies.

@Juicyj - I was about a day and a half into the new sensor. I had done my first usual calibration about 8 hrs into its session as I do this every time I “install” a new sensor. No particular exercise or anything out of the usual, just going about my day.

@therower - it’s funny, I usually don’t adopt first gen tech. However this year was a bit of change for me as well. First time CGM user, the G6, pretty much just as it was released. At the same time, began the use of my first insulin pump, the Omnipod.

Interestingly, I was given the opportunity to early trial of the new Omnipod dash system as well. However I quickly reverted to the original system as I had two PDM (control unit) failures, within a month. That didn’t work for me. Decided i’ll wait a few months for them to get their QA under control. Haven’t had a problem with their previous gen system and the only real difference between the two systems is the PDM.

Anyway, thanks again for the greetings.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yes, it was a long time ago, I expect it was simply the doctors first attempt. It didn’t last long, only a few weeks before I switched to insulin. Definitely type 2. Honestly I don’t recall many of the details from 30+ years ago. I can barely remember what I had for breakfast these days :)

I know what you mean and I'm a 30 yearer too :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Mchad i tend to view any readings on a new sensor with caution, a day and a half is still early doors, I also calibrate a few times too on a new sensor at times when I know my BG levels are stable so before food ideally and not when there could be much movement. I have had rare incidents mostly a few days in or after a run when I can get a dodgy reading so I tend to opt for a glucose meter reading instead as trust this more then, as @therower has said trust your gut if something doesn't feel right too and cross check against your meter.

I also think it's an amazing piece piece of kit, been a game changer for me :)

Reactions: Robinredbreast