1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Greetings

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by bellapodus, Apr 17, 2009.

1. bellapodus

bellapodus Type 2 · Active Member

Hi,
    I've been grazing these past few weeks and so thought I would introduce myself.
    My name is Kelly and I'm 32. I am currently at University and am towards the end of my second year. I am a Sci-Fi addict and sing all the time when at home.
    I have type 2 and although only diagnosed in March 2007, I have been told that I more than likely should have been diagnosed in my early teens (looking back, I wonder why it wasn't picked up when I kept feeling faint or dizzy when I didn't eat all day and drank water by the gallon).
    Currently I am quite lucky. I watch what I eat and am fine. Mind you, when I say I watch what I eat I mean I am seriously strict with food which at times gets me down.
    Generally the diabetic team I am under is ok but there are a few people there who I think really do need a little retraining (the dietician for one who thinks I must have money to burn and have the IQ of a fly) but then it could be worse.
    When my team are giving me suspicious information, I come here and there is always someone who has either asked my question for me or provided the correct information so I find this place very useful.

2. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

Welcome!
    what are you studying?

3. lilibet

lilibet · Well-Known Member

HI bella
    And welcome. Just out of interest, they think you were diabetic in your teens? Unusual but not impossible to have it that young (google MODY) but its usually a genetic thing.

4. sugarless sue

sugarless sue · Master

Welcome to the forum ,Kelly .If you don't find what you are looking for ,just ask,there's usually someone who can answer your questions.

5. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

hya kelly and welcome to the forum :D

6. Trinkwasser

Trinkwasser · Well-Known Member

Sounds suspiciously like the Reactive Hypoglycemia I have had since childhood. It responds well to carb restriction to reduce the post-meal highs which stops the rebound lows. Unfortunately this can continue for a long time (50 years) before it crosses the boundary into diagnosible "diabetes". Over time I've met not a few with similar stories.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook