grumpy

monkeygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hey all

well last week I went to see the dietician and this was have to drop down to 1600cals and less than 80 carbs now I need to point I suffer ptsd bipolar diablimea and since been givin this on Friday I have nonstop binged

I'm allowed breakfast 2 portion of carbs eg 1 Weetabix one round of wholegrain toast 1 portion of milk and diary milk for cereal and cuppas have to come out allowance mid morning 1 portion fruit banana lunch 2 portion carbs as in 2 baby potatoes is one portion or 1 round of bread 2 0z meat fish 1 portion of veg (80g) 1 portion milk cheese mid afternoon fruit banana or such like dinner 4 portions carbs 4 0z meat/fish 2 portions veg 1 milk ooo and I get a extra 130 cals for treats but then they spoil it and give ya flippin sheet to pick of I never wanted to pull sumones ears off so much as the dietician lol

I must say I haven't started it yet and I currently eat 200 plus carbs and 2500 cals I weigh 120.8 and I'm due to start yoga this week and boxing and my partner got me a fitness tracker which I loooove
any advice how to not feel hungry not add to my conditions
S.J

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Positives and negatives in all this .... so I'll just skip that first para, but I do understand.

Who "allowed" you that weetabix, bread, banana, potato. Am I missing something here?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like your dietitian is still stuck in the high carbs for diabetics insanity. Please try reading the links in my signature.

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
That's what I read into it as well but wasn't 100% sure ... another fool promoted to a position of advice she should never hold.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see why you are grumpy that sounds horrendous. Have you had a look around the site at LCHF or the Mediteranian diet plus I know there are many others out there.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Can I just ask, you mentioned diabulimia. Does that mean you are on insulin? If so, which type? And is it fixed dose?

Because that affects carb intake a lot.

But I agree with the others - that diet sounds utterly miserable!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well there's only one diet I know that stops you from feeling hungry and that's LCHF. On this plan you can have extra fat which fills you up. Can you clarify if you are on insulin or any other diabetic drugs? You will need to adjust your insulin doses though and as a T2 not on insulin I can't tell you how to do that, but there are some T1's here who successfully follow LCHF.

IMO the diet you have been given is completely wrong for you. It's full of carbs and too many carbs can make you feel depressed even if you don't have any other health problems. Also the more carbs you have the more you want, so I reckon that will only fuel your binges. Well that's what happened with me anyway. I have suffered from PTSD and huge mood swings which weren't quite bi-polar enough to be diagnosed as such and I know that the diet you have been given would not have suited me one little bit.

With LCHF you could stick to 80g carbs as you have been instructed to do, but you would be free to choose them yourself, so making it more palatable for you. I track mine on www.myfitnesspal.com and weigh everything so that I know I am getting it right. You could also try to stick to 1600 cals as well, but the carb limit is the most important one for a diabetic to adhere to, so if you happen to go a little above the calorie limit whilst sticking to the 80g carb limit I wouldn't worry too much.

There's a list of low carb foods in the link Indy51 gave you in her signature.

Reactions: 8 people

monkeygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hey and thank yall for reply's sorry for such long time it has taken me currently got outta hospital this morning after passin out extreme hypo unable to swallow so after wee while in hospital sent on my unmerry way was told the dietician was not doing me a good service and rethink my whole outlook in the hope I get better relationship with food and insulin constant battle and that I don't need to go on a diet as such just instead of bingin tryin to do the 3 meals a day and not overtake insulin yes I am type 2 I do take metformin and both fast actin (apidra) and slow release (lantus) insulin my current doses are breakfast 30 lunch 34 dinner 34
long actin 36 I take citalopram 40mg diazepam 3 per day beta blocker 1 per day and sleepers (rattle when I walk lol )
I do suffer episodes of diablimea (binge eating then purdge(make self sick) does anyone else realise that everything is connected in my case ptsd diabetes and suicidal thoughts
so on a happy note I start yoga tonight I'm so nervous but I'm tryin not to give up on myself totally ooo then I start a course in the morning its healthy mind thingy let yall know how that goes then gonna try boxing tomorrow night maybe I could imagine dietician face on punchbag lol
S.J

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish you all the best for 2016, hopefully the yoga and boxing will benefit you. One of my daughters used to suffer from bulimia, anxiety and depression, thankfully she is over the bulimia now and she is mostly over the depression so I do know what a long and difficult journey it can be. Stay positive and keep us up to date on your progress.

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My problems with over-eating (including periods of binge eating) made me focus on the low-carb rather than the calories - with the encouragement of my diabetic nurse. Plus increasing my exercise / activity level. Seven months after the T2 diagnosis, I feel as if I'm starting to see real improvement. For a long time I found it hard to consistently stay below 100g carbs / day. In the last few weeks that's been less of a battle and more of a real new habit of shopping and meal planning as well as the actual eating. I start to see that if I stick at this, I'll be able to get it down to 50g or below - on a sustainable basis. So I'd say the same as other people here - really find out about LCHF diets, but accept you're actually going to have to work out what you can cope with, short-term and long-term. People on the forum have been a great help for me - specific advice, sharing experiences, plus support.

Reactions: 4 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When ever I see the word dietician ,i now always think mortician

You've done really well with your diet. That's the sort of weight loss I'm aiming for. I'm also T2 on no medication, so people like you encourage me!