Guidance please on latest Lipid Results

andyR57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can some one please offer guidance/ views regarding my latest lipid results please. They are sort of mixed.

My triglycerides have been high for at least 6 years but in early January they were 8.99 [very high] and of course my GP said I must go on statins but I said I would reduce by diet. I reduced carbs from 225 a day to 125 max and started eating more nuts and olive oil {to get the calories} but still managed to shed 12 Lbs and 3” off my belly.

Lipid came back from bloods taken Monday and TRG down to 2.32 [still a bit high but way down on previous] BUT total cholesterol up from 4.5 to 5.3 and LDL from 2.7 to 3.4. However HDL from 0.7 to 0.8 {still lowish} and ratio 6.6. GP still saying these are bad and need statins.

Also says my QRISK2 score is a ridiculous 72.6 but I have done it myself online and the highest I can get it is 14.1 and that is based on my old lipid figure whilst the new ones show a 10.2 risk {just above the 10 recommended for statins]. I have even added things I don't have and still can't get it to 72.6.

Any suggestions how to get LDL down without reducing the carbs and thus increasing fats {assuming the fats have elevated the LDL}.

Comments greatly appreciated.

Kickylol

There is a link between carbs and triglycerides. When I went on low carb diet (60-80)gm carbs /(that too mainly from vegs and whole meals, my triglycerides and ldl went below normal). When you eat low carb, your body uses the fat for energy, in theory reducing your ldls/triglycerides etc. I was also doing a lot of workouts like weight training, kickboxing and daily 8k-10k steps. You can ignore the weights and kickboxing but aim for 8-10k steps and you should see good results. Cut down on carbs a bit more too, get it down to 80gm if you can.

Berberine has shown to reduce blood sugar, ldl and triglycerides. Look up on that. There are some studies done on that.

Good luck.

Reactions: Alexandra100

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I have an eye condition (mild bilateral corneal arcus) that requires cholesterol to be lowered if I want to reverse it. Here's a summary of what I have done using oats:

At 50 grams of oats, my A1c has increased by 2 points, so I have halved this and will be testing again in a few months. In the attachment below I have managed to find a protocol with the 25 grams of oats and exercise that keep my blood glucose in a good range - this has to be spot on as at first in the "OatsTest.pdf" you can see any numbers above 6 were oats related, with me trying different lowering methods.

In summary, if you were to try oats, maybe start with either 20 or 25 grams (I get the Duchy brand from Waitrose), soak in hot water, rinse, drain cook slowly, adding Greek yogurt 2 - 3 spoons, with cinnamon (or not).

Attachments

• Dinner & Breakfast Exercise & Glucose.jpg
    Dinner & Breakfast Exercise & Glucose.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 60
  • OatsTest.pdf
    324.6 KB · Views: 83

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Berberine has shown to reduce blood sugar, ldl and triglycerides.
How great it would be if taking Berberine capsules could help with all of these 3 goals! My doctor too is unhappy with my high LDL and nags about statins. I myself would almost kill to see my bg, trigs and LDL lower. I have recently been influenced by this Youtube video by Amy Berger:
She continues to recommend Berberine in recent videos, but this is the one where she goes into detail. Now I am taking these rather expensive capsules 3 times a day and living in hopes. NB AB emphasises that in her opinion Berberine needs to be taken as an add-on to a low carb diet, not instead of. This is what I am doing.