1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

GYM & BLOOD GLUCOSE LEVELS

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by NicolaN, Dec 30, 2015.

1. NicolaN

NicolaN Type 1 · Member

Hi all,
    I'm just wondering what should BG levels be before you go and do a 40minute HIIT session? Eg Spinning
    Mine were 6.7 and I personally felt that I should be higher but I had already reduced my TBR to 30%. I think I'm just afraid :/ I am getting irregular hypos at the moment as we are still adjusting my new pump (which I love!!)
    Anybody who is a gym goer give me any advice please?

2. JRW

JRW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

3. NicolaN

NicolaN Type 1 · Member

Thanks JRW. I'll check it out. :)

4. MarkbUK

MarkbUK Type 1 · Member

Check out runsweet.com

5. NicolaN

NicolaN Type 1 · Member

Thank you MarkbUK :)

6. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Nicola, I go into spin in the 6s. I reduce by 50% half hour before. But it can change depending on the time am or pm. I test before and every 15 minutes during the class. Love spin!

7. NicolaN

NicolaN Type 1 · Member

Mrs Vimes - thanks for the tip. Question - if you start to rise during your lesson do you correct or wait and see do you drop?

8. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My first time I let it go up to see what happened then corrected afterwards. I now correct by 0.5 to 1.0 units as the class is going on if it is heading into the 8s as sometimes I get a liver dump. (Not always). But I've only do this now because I have a good feel for how it will play out after all the testing.
    I have on occasion made a pugs ear out of it and had to sit in the gym cafe waiting to be safe to drive home.
    If I'm heading straight to work from the gym, I may be very conservative with my corrections so driving is safe. Then I'll correct 'proper' in work.

Pigs ear

9. NicolaN

NicolaN Type 1 · Member

Thank you. It's such a "hard work" illness. It is constant! Roll on a cure....and fast!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. mindy

mindy Type 1 · Member

HI, I tend to aim for around 10mmls before I visit the gym.With the meal before activity I only bolus for 60% of the total carbohydrate I consume thus leaving enough glucose/energy on board to work out. However I do make sure that I am physically active within 2 hours of doing this.

11. Donna1

Donna1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was told about 8/9 but any higher than 12 u shouldnt exercise. I like mine bout 9 before spin as find it drops by 2/3 units as its vigorous.,

12. NicolaN

NicolaN Type 1 · Member

Donna why should you not exercise above 12?

13. ronialive

ronialive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I would have thought above 12 exercise was essential. I know some kinds can make it rise but more usually it drops

14. Dave...

Dave... Type 1 · Member

Hi Nicola. Also check out: http://www.teamnovonordisk.com/exercise-and-diabetes/
    I'd typically start a spin class around 6-7 as levels generally rise with anaerobic excercise (starting around 12mmols would not be good as it could put you at risk of excercising with ketones..), and then levels typically fall afterwards. Unfortunately there are so many factors to consider, it requires a lot of testing - ideally CGM to analyse results if possible?
    All the best.

15. nickm

nickm Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Many thousands of diabetics and non-diabetics deliberately exercise while ketonuric on a regular basis. Professional cyclists included.

16. Adam29

Adam29 Type 1 · Active Member

@NicolaN I've always gone with exercising with BG under 13 as a general rule, I can't recall where I heard that from though. When I exercise My blood levels generally increase (I do resistance training) so I need to bolus at the gym. With my evening meal following exercise, I bolus (and correct) with half dosage

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook