Gym & keeping energy levels up!

Mrsg11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looking for recommendations for pre & post work out food. Am trying to keep carbs to approx 60g per day & same for protein - trying to stick to main principles of blood sugar diet & approx 800 cal per day.
Tonight towards end of my workout i became quite shaky & didn't have the usual energy levels during my workout, so recommendations to keep energy levels up would be appreciated!!
TIA everyone

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
approx 800 cal per day.
800 calories per day is very low calorie, a crash starvation diet. Which means as long as you're on this diet you're underfed, running low on fuel. Lack of energy is common when you're not putting adequate energy in by means of food.

How long are you planning to stick to this diet?

Reactions: EllieM and Mrsg11

Mrsg11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
800 calories per day is very low calorie, a crash starvation diet. Which means as long as you're on this diet you're underfed, running low on fuel. Lack of energy is common when you're not putting adequate energy in by means of food.

How long are you planning to stick to this diet?
Well sticking to 800 is proving difficult im prob averaging more 9/950, I am into week 3 and prob only intend to keep at it for another 5 max, but am enjoying the training since gyms have re-opened just want to make sure i am taking in the right nutrients to keep it up and keep sugar levels down... Hoping that loosing alot of weight will put my t2 into remission...

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hoping that loosing alot of weight will put my t2 into remission...
It may well help. But I think it's realistic to expect low energy levels while you're on so few calories.

Reactions: Mrsg11

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I drink BCAA during exercise, definitely helps me get through a workout.

I assume you’re trying to burn off some fat with that diet. IMHO, bring down the intensity, until you’re back on maintenance. Focus on getting protein, otherwise you may be burning off muscle.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest @Mrsg11 unless you’re an elite athlete or training for a major event, if you’re eating sufficient nutritious food for your meals, you shouldn’t need special or additional pre/post workout food.

As @Antje77 says, that’s a very low calorie intake and I’m guessing the reason behind you feeling as you did.

On a low carb diet the two important things when you’re doing exercise are to keep the carbs low enough to ensure you’re burning fat for fuel rather than sugar and to consume enough protein to ensure that any weight loss is fat rather than muscle mass. I’d focus on those two elements rather than the calories - should ensure that you keep blood sugars in check, have enough energy and still mean that you can lose weight.

As an example, I eat as close to zero carbs as I can get and regularly exercise in a water fasted state, including for extended periods (gym weights, swimming, walks between 15-30 miles), without issue. Keeping well hydrated and replacing electrolytes is the key to this.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Looking for recommendations for pre & post work out food. Am trying to keep carbs to approx 60g per day & same for protein - trying to stick to main principles of blood sugar diet & approx 800 cal per day.
Tonight towards end of my workout i became quite shaky & didn't have the usual energy levels during my workout, so recommendations to keep energy levels up would be appreciated!!
TIA everyone
Expresso works for me! Remember that you've got energy supplies on your body but it takes time for the body to adjust to using them (the equivalent of going into the freezer in your garage rathe than going into the fridge!). Give it some time. There's vast over marketing of pre and post workout products which are unnecessary for non pro athletes IMO as a trainer.
The other thing to ask is are you on any blood pressure or diabetic meds ? If you are and you've dropped carbs then you may have lower blood pressure or lower sugars (good things) and need to reduce meds in consultation with your team and eat a little more salt.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would recommend nothing before or after much like @Goonergal. 800 calories is literally a starvation diet. When people diet for "weight" loss, muscle is lost also, this is a minimal disaster as muscle is a way to help reverse Type 2 by soaking up more glucose and being active whilst at rest.

If you eat nutrient dense food, essentially meat / fish and 2 veg like, with a focus on protein (at least a gram per pound of bodyweight), maybe twice a day, you will set your body up for "fat" loss and muscle building. If you use cardio as a warm up and resistance training as the main workout, you will be covering the bases. If you feel you need to take something before a workout, humor me and try a teaspoon of lo-salt mixed in water (warm or cold and maybe we a squeeze of lemon / lime for palatability).

Even if you work out really hard you will not become bulky as a natural.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

bmtest

I treat carbs like petrol if i have high intensity training session lasting 1.5 to 2 hours i used to have 1 full mars bar

Its old fashioned but i like chocolate and its a good opportunity to eat what i like.

But I am lucky i do not have weight problem and weigh same as I did 40 year ago and always excercise.

I have tried reducing dose over years but much prefer to carb load before especially on 12 mile run in evening with club with just dextrose tablets in short pockets.

Reactions: LaoDan

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I started going to the gym at ES Fitness Las Vegas. And that time I was lazy. However, after joining the gym, I began to experience stamina after about 2 or 3 months. which are a great thing and I find a lot of changes in my body.

All the cool gyms are in Vegas, Stan efferding, Jay Cutler etc.