Habc1 test vs home testing

CliveUK

Mid October I was told I was prediabetic with a habc1 test result of 42. Since then I have purchased a home test monitor (Connect Next One) and have been testing myself for the last two weeks every other day: fasting tests and before and after evening meals (sorry to repeat myself if you have read my posts in the other forums).

I appreciate that the habc1 test is an average over 2/3 months and home test is a result “as it is now” but so far all my home test results have been within what is classified as “normal non-diabetic” parameters. Obviously I am very pleased about this I’m but somewhat surprised as all I have done since mid October is make a few changes in my diet (I have always done a lot of exercise/sport, so no change needed there).

I am planning to continue my home testing schedule for at least another month but I was wondering what other people’s experiences were as regards the habc1 test vs home testing results.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mid October I was told I was prediabetic with a habc1 test result of 42. Since then I have purchased a home test monitor (Connect Next One) and have been testing myself for the last two weeks every other day: fasting tests and before and after evening meals (sorry to repeat myself if you have read my posts in the other forums).

I appreciate that the habc1 test is an average over 2/3 months and home test is a result “as it is now” but so far all my home test results have been within what is classified as “normal non-diabetic” parameters. Obviously I am very pleased about this I’m but somewhat surprised as all I have done sinve mid October is make a few changes in my diet (I have always done a lot of exercise/sport, so no change needed there).

I am planning to continue my home testing schedule for at least another month but I was wondering what other people’s experiences were as regards the habc1 test vs home testing results.

How many times a day are you testing and what kind of times.. pre/post prandial? BG can be a very dynamic beast so you may be missing quite a few highs and lows.

CliveUK

How many times a day are you testing and what kind of times.. pre/post prandial? BG can be a very dynamic beast so you may be missing quite a few highs and lows.

I do an 8 hour fasting test first thing in the morning and also test just before my evening meal, then 2 hours after my evening meal.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
A blood glucose test is for that particular moment in time. The only way to really see your levels thruout the day is a CGM, something like the Freestyle Libre. As BB has asked what results are you getting

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
With an hba1c of 42 you're only just in the prediabetic range, so your numbers haven't been very much above 'normal'. It can very well be that the few changes you've made in your diet are enough to slip back to non diabetic numbers.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I'm recording the results on an Excel spread sheet, so these are the calculated averages of my results so far:
Fasting: 4.75
Pre evening meal: 5.58
2 hours after evening meal: 6.45

I would class that as non diabetic range

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm recording the results on an Excel spread sheet, so these are the calculated averages of my results so far:
Fasting: 4.75
Pre evening meal: 5.58
2 hours after evening meal: 6.45

Fasting levels are great .. pre and post meal are a little higher than I'd hope for personally but it's early days for you.
I would imagine your next HbA1c would be in the non pre-diabetes range providing your results stay like that.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I appreciate that the habc1 test is an average over 2/3 months and home test is a result “as it is now” but so far all my home test results have been within what is classified as “normal non-diabetic” parameters. Obviously I am very pleased about this I’m but somewhat surprised as all I have done since mid October is make a few changes in my diet (I have always done a lot of exercise/sport, so no change needed there).

As someone has already said, it is better to do your testing, pre meal, one hour and two hours, to get a clearer picture of what happens.
This can be expanded depending on how much carbs you have, it is typical that if you have faster glucose derived from meals, you will miss your spike and effect your hour and two hours reading. Compounded by how much saturated fat with the meal and of course, portion size.
I found a food diary so important, to help me recognise what certain foods caused my blood glucose to spike quicker and higher than what my body could cope with.
A fasting blood glucose reading, especially if you are prediabetic, should be in normal or just above normal levels. It is what happens after and any diabetic symptoms such as insulin resistance that could be causing the prediabetes. A fasting blood glucose reading may be distorted if you have dawn syndrome, it is always better to do your pre meal reading just before first bite.
An hba1c reading will give you a picture of what has happened over the last couple of months and your readings do seem to be in normal range.
Using a glucometer is a useful tool, but because of the sensitivity of them, the trends in blood glucose readings are the main use of them. It gives you an instant reading, but the significance and getting a handle on your blood glucose testing is only part of getting control. This takes time, and finding the right balance of foods that you are okay with, is important when using a glucometer.
It has to be regimented, to see the benefits.

CliveUK

Thanks guys, I will keep testing and I guess I will get an even better picture the longer I test for. I go back for another hba1c test mid January so fingers crossed but I'm feeling quite positive at the moment.

Reactions: OrsonKartt