1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Half Of Adults 'Will Be Obese By 2030'

Discussion in 'Diabetes News' started by bowell, Aug 26, 2011.

1. bowell

bowell · Well-Known Member

2. pianoman

pianoman · Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this.

I see the words above are a quote from the BBC story.

I also note this one along the same lines (from Sky news)...
    I agree that Government policy needs to move away from protecting the vested interests of food manufacturers towards representation of the voting public BUT until there is clear agreement as to what exactly constitutes "unhealthy food" I can only guess at the ramifications of a policy that could potentially worsen the problem.

The low-fat dogma was pushed through while many eminent scientists were still in hot debate as to its advisability (and they still are)... let's be **** sure before we let politicians tell people what they should and should not be eating.

3. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hopefully (And after 18 years on Optislim) I'll be in the 50% that are NOT! :lol:

HEAR HEAR!

Our country should do what the US should have done yeras ago.

Take responsibility for the advice they are pedling!

4. pianoman

pianoman · Well-Known Member

Speaking of the USA... flashback to 1977, courtesy of a clip from "Fat Head"

[youtube]xbFQc2kxm9c[/youtube]

5. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I MUST download and watch Fat Head...

6. ZACNEMMA

ZACNEMMA · Well-Known Member

Thought that there already was half population obese, judging by the amount they go on about type 2's.

7. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Its probably about right I am gaining about half a stone a year and now I am 7 stone So in 20 years I will be 17 stone :lol: But I will be 88 so will I care :shock:
    CAROL

8. viviennem

viviennem Type 2 · Well-Known Member

88 - two fat ladies! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Viv 8)

9. minitata

minitata · Well-Known Member

More worrying than the fact of the rise in obesity is the change in the weight distribution. According to: http://www.weightymatters.ca/2011/08/wh ... folks.html more people are gaining waist/abdomen weight which has more medical health issues than hip/thigh weight.

MTT

10. Cowboyjim

Cowboyjim · Well-Known Member

http://www.medilexicon.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=233431
    1.5 billion adults worldwide are overweight and a further 0.5 billion are obese; 170 million children are classed as either overweight or obese. In many countries, obesity claims between 2% and 6 % of health-care costs and has surpassed tobacco as the largest preventable cause of disease in regions such as the USA and the state of Western Australia. Encouraging reports emerging from countries like Australia, Sweden, France and elsewhere state that obesity rates in children are levelling off or falling.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook