Halloumi Fries

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today we visited the iconic town of Southport. Here we spent time in Pleasureland and then listened to some of the Southport Music Festival in the sunshine. There were a number of food vendors and I expected the usual difficulty obtaining lchf friendly food. There was a hog roast stall but that was sold out. I noticed also a vegan stall and there was the usual burger van. I queued at the burger van for my wife and child wondering what I might get for myself and there up for grabs were halloumi fries. So I bought some. Sure enough they were chunky chip size pieces of halloumi cheese served with a sweet chilli dip, spring onion slices and lettuce. It was delicious. I knew the sweet chilli sauce would be suspect but it wasn’t as if there was lots of it, just a desert spoonful at the most. And besides what else was I going to eat except maybe a bunless burger.

In future it would be great to see halloumi fries being offered and a good idea for home cooking for me in the future.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Wish my local fish shop sold it, and delivered it. So I don't feel left out.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wish my local fish shop sold it, and delivered it. So I don't feel left out.
Maybe one day...

I know some chippers will fry virtually anything. I am wondering about asking in the future.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
A Halloumi moment is a treat on our European holidays.

Halloumi fried in olive oil with an onion, tomato and olive oil side salad.

Cold white wine of course. :cool:

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A Halloumi moment is a treat on our European holidays.

Halloumi fried in olive oil with an onion, tomato and olive oil side salad.

Cold white wine of course. :cool:
I have fried halloumi at home sometimes but cannot cut the halloumi down into thin slices as it crumbles. Must be doing something wrong?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I have fried halloumi at home sometimes but cannot cut the halloumi down into thin slices as it crumbles. Must be doing something wrong?

Yes.
Cut thick slices.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Halloumi is my latest fad. I’m ordering it everywhere and have a good stash in at home. Be careful though as it’s sometimes battered or breaded without menu’s stating that fact. Ask.

Reactions: Marie4james
D

Deleted member 308541

Okay. Have you tried that yourself?
We had a cheese board with a wire years ago which I had liberated from where I used to work it would cut everything, even a finger if it got in the way.

It never made the trip south with us for some reason, some one needed it more than us.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Halloumi is my latest fad. I’m ordering it everywhere and have a good stash in at home. Be careful though as it’s sometimes battered or breaded without menu’s stating that fact. Ask.
Ah. Yes, the fries I had today were straight halloumi.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm definitely going to experiment with halloumi after reading this!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love halloumi fries, thanks for the reminder. I haven’t made them for a while :hungry:

Reactions: Antje77

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love halloumi fries, thanks for the reminder. I haven’t made them for a while :hungry:
Yes, they were very tasty. I was surprised at that and the fact that I was able to buy them from a burger van. I must admit I know nothing about the oil they were cooked in.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Lots of places do them now. Have done for a while, but maybe that’s a London thing.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of places do them now. Have done for a while, but maybe that’s a London thing.

I got some in a restaurant in Birmingham - Handmade Burger Co. They weren’t nearly as nice as the Nando’s grilled halloumi though. Very easy to make your own.

Reactions: Diakat

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only found them in one of my favourite restaurants in my hometown. Delish. Very filling. Ordered with bunless burger or steak and a side salad. Not adventurous enough to make my own! And haven't come across in the shops although haven't really looked. It feels extra special eating them on a night out as I dont have them elsewhere.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am Cypriot and Halloumi is Cyprus's national cheese. I must admit I have never heard of halloumi fries though. Although fried halloumi is quite common (especially with eggs as breakfast). Much more common to grill it as unusually for a cheese it does not melt.
When young it is soft and s bit rubbery but it hardens as it matures so that it can then be grated like parmesan cheese

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have found Halloumi fries in quite a few places locally, including pub chains. They've become quite popoular for those eating unrestricted diets too, it appears.

I have founf the secret to cutting Halloumi and similar textures is to use a thin blade, in fact, I'll tend to us our filleting knife. In my experience using a weightier blade can increase the chances of it crumbling or breaking. @Tipetoo 's idea of a cheese wire would work well too, in my view.

Reactions: Diakat