Happy Super Bolusing!

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I love the super-bolus, too, though I only take 50% of the basal rate for the next three hours. It works for me.

irrationalJohn

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Not advisable for high fat or low GI meals as they are slowly absorbed
Yep, that's what an extended bolus is intended for & may help with.

(in spite of being brown rice and relatively low GI overall)
o_O My experience (and understanding) is that rice is anything but low GI. Brown rice may be slower than white, but I wouldn't expect the extra fiber to make that much of a diff.

I need to get a pump!! I eat a lot of low GI foods and this sounds a great way of stopping the spike.

Wrong direction. A superbolus attempts to help match more peak insulin activity with the peak from a high GI food in the hope of preventing your BG from spiking.

For low GI foods (or meals) which can take a long time to digest and can raise BG over a period of time, the extended bolus or whatever it is called by your pump manufacturer might be more appropriate.

At least the above is my understanding of how it works. If I messed up, I trust someone will set me straight.

Reactions: 6 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I am going to try a super bolus once I'm a bit better with my levels on the pump, still early days for me and not feeling 100% confident to do it yet but it does sound fab!! :)

Reactions: 2 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Okay, I just tried it with a very high carb meal (tomato soup and bread!) and it's worked AMAZINGLY!!!! I'm currently 4.9 and staying steady! Normally I would have had a spike after the soup but it's not spiked much at all (if indeed it did spike at all!) I think I actually gave myself more than I should as I stupidly used the Wizard to add on the extra few points that I needed and of course it wouldn't let me add on the specific 0.300 that I needed (should have done the normal Wizard and then added on the extra using the manual bolus option afterwards! Doh!). Hey ho, I'll practice at it and I'm sure I'll get better... my maths isn't the best either! Lol! :)

Reactions: 5 people

irrationalJohn

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
how do you cope with the super bolus then go for exercise
Any type of bolus before exercise should be considered with caution. Exercise can alter, even drastically alter, your sensitivity to insulin.

Of course, how insulin affects you is something only you can figure out. But if I can I try to not to schedule activity when I'm carry an active bolus on board. If I do I find I'm usually taking steps to counter low BG.

Reactions: 6 people