Hard Skin on Feet

BeccaJaneStClair

When we had the Spotlight meeting, the podiatrist told us all how important it was to always wear shoes and that we should use moisturiser on our feet to keep the skin from getting hard, etc. etc. After Spotlight, I went out and my indoor shoe collection doubled with more slippers and flip flops, because I am not a wear shoes in the house kind of girl...in fact, as much as I love LOOKING at shoes and buying shoes, I don't actually like wearing them. Before I moved to the UK I used to wear sandals year-round, and if it snowed I'd trade them in for wool clogs. My feet have always had thick soles due to all the walking around barefoot I did (and what's this about no longer walking on sand?! The best part about going to the beach AND it naturally exfoliates, but I digress).

Since the podiatrist said to use lotion on my feet, I did. Last night (Tues) I noticed the thick skin on the ball of my foot was starting to split, so I used a liberal application of Soap and Glory's Heel Genius on my feet. Today, (Wed), the balls of my feet and heels have been smooth, but when I stand still I get a burning sensation where the hard skin used to be.

Any ideas on how to combat this? Is that normal? I've got my referral in to get in with the podiatrist, but I have chorus tomorrow night which involves standing for 3 and a half hours! It was bad enough today walking around London. I finally wound up putting on an extra pair of socks on to have a cushion.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Could be a reaction to one or more of the ingredients of the foot cream your using, was this product recommended to you by the Podiatrist?

My own Podiatrist recommended a product called Flexitol Heal Balm for moisturising the feet, it's safe for use by diabetics and is by far the best product I've used.

BeccaJaneStClair

I'll have to look for that. I was just told "foot cream", so I used what I've always put on my feet -- I just never had this type of reaction to it before!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
BJS
get an appointment with the podiatrist to sort out the feet first of all, then cream feet every night and wear socks to prevent all the cream ending up on the bedclothes. I like the bodybutter cream from the Bodyshop, but there are plenty of other good ones, including simple aqueous cream from the pharmacy.
I don't wear shoes in the house and rarely wear socks with my shoes, because my feet hate them. I believe that LOW blood glucose is the best way to protect them.
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hanadr said:
I believe that LOW blood glucose is the best way to protect them.
Hana

......low blood glucose :shock:........I know you mean normal bg Hana :)

BeccaJaneStClair said:
I'll have to look for that. I was just told "foot cream", so I used what I've always put on my feet -- I just never had this type of reaction to it before!

As diabetics we have to be careful what we use on our feet Becca so do check.

BeccaJaneStClair

hanadr said:
BJS
get an appointment with the podiatrist to sort out the feet first of all, then cream feet every night and wear socks to prevent all the cream ending up on the bedclothes. I like the bodybutter cream from the Bodyshop, but there are plenty of other good ones, including simple aqueous cream from the pharmacy.
I don't wear shoes in the house and rarely wear socks with my shoes, because my feet hate them. I believe that LOW blood glucose is the best way to protect them.
Hana

I've sent off the self referral, just need an actual appointment!

I had to start wearing socks with shoes because my feet sweat and I found wearing socks cut down on having smelly feet, but I used to hate socks, too.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I wear socks only when I have to. like in my Hiking boots , or in my trainers on a longer walk. I find only silk socks are really comfortable, but cotly and not durable. Terry lined socks, in pure cotton or wool, are bearable.
Hana