Hard to get appointments

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was 5 minutes on the phone :writer: trying to get an appointment to see my Diabetes Nurse Friday I never had this problem before so when i eventually got through the man asked me what it was for /:dummy1: I said I am diabetic do you want my history as well? he said oh no I can make you an appointment for two weeks time :eek:I said is that the first appointment available he said yes :mad: I have always managed to get into see her the next day before ...anyways I said why has it taken so long for me to be connected I have never had this trouble before he replied we are joining surgeries so very busy ...I replied then you should have more manning the phones ...Unbelievable I shall ask about this when i go to the surgery in TWO weeks time good job it is not too serious I better make an apointment to see the Doctor while I am at the Nurses:angelic: otherwise might be months before can see one :nurse: does everyone else have a problem when trying to make appointments to see their Doctor/Nurse ???

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
it varies quite a bit -- If i just want to see a GP ( any old GP ) I can ring on the morning and get an appt for the same day.

However -- if wanting to see my own GP -- it is more likely to be about 2 weeks wait.

for GP Diabetic nurse the wait is about 2 weeks ( never go to her )

at hospital -- can usually speak with DSN within 24 hours -- by leaving a message and I get a call back

and as for ENDO .... well as yet to test that one but can imagine if i stomped around like a lunatic on the phone and said it was urgent i would probably get in with 24-48 hours ( at end of appt day perhaps )

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find nurses are more challenging to get an appointment with for things like bloods smears etc. diabetes wise I am at the hospital. I was given an appointment for July end of it which I have been waiting almost 6 months. I have rung weekly for cancellations but nothing. It sucks I really need to get the ball rolling and they expect 6 months when you have been poorly sorry rant over there

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
my surgery ios a nightmare to get an appointment
opens at 8.30 and same day appts are gone by 8.35
i managed to pre book an appt for tomorrow and had to wait 3 weeks and thats with my gp requesting to see him

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was 5 minutes on the phone :writer: trying to get an appointment to see my Diabetes Nurse Friday I never had this problem before so when i eventually got through the man asked me what it was for /:dummy1: I said I am diabetic do you want my history as well? he said oh no I can make you an appointment for two weeks time :eek:I said is that the first appointment available he said yes :mad: I have always managed to get into see her the next day before ...anyways I said why has it taken so long for me to be connected I have never had this trouble before he replied we are joining surgeries so very busy ...I replied then you should have more manning the phones ...Unbelievable I shall ask about this when i go to the surgery in TWO weeks time good job it is not too serious I better make an apointment to see the Doctor while I am at the Nurses:angelic: otherwise might be months before can see one :nurse: does everyone else have a problem when trying to make appointments to see their Doctor/Nurse ???
Only 5 minutes? Have had to wait 20 minutes once!
My surgery is so busy, I ain't got a clue how they get through the day!
Have e nth seen much own GP since I took the wife. Over a month ago!
Have had 2 phone conversations with him but getting any kind of appointment is ludicrous and it is putting off people going and going to out of hours instead and A&E, blocking emergency services.
Not enough staff is the cause, not longer hours!
The NHS is crawling into privatisation before our eyes.
The Tory press only give us repetitive bad news instead of the good work that the front line staff do every day!

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an opposite experience. I can usually get in to my surgery the same day if I see any GP, my own GP within 3-4 days depending on when in the week I check. Phlebotomist is within a week, same for practice nurse appointments.

My surgery also uses the Patient Access system where I can log-in, make appointments, order repeat prescriptions, etc. 24/7 without having to telephone in. Excellent system.

Reactions: 2 people

karencymru

I have an opposite experience. I can usually get in to my surgery the same day if I see any GP, my own GP within 3-4 days depending on when in the week I check. Phlebotomist is within a week, same for practice nurse appointments.

My surgery also uses the Patient Access system where I can log-in, make appointments, order repeat prescriptions, etc. 24/7 without having to telephone in. Excellent system.
Same system and timings in my surgery. Also, they are great with same day telephone appointments which are really helpful for queries. Great GPs and staff, which is such a help, really feel it's a partnership.

C

catherinecherub

This article explains some of the reasons as to why one third of NHS patients are having difficulties with obtaining an appointment.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/...d-to-get-say-third-of-nhs-patients-in-england

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I have a great surgery, no bolshie receptionists and can get an appt with any doctor same day, with my own gp within 2/3 days diabetic nurse usually next day. Old fashioned surgery, very friendly (not a group practice)

C

chris lowe

Our surgery has an online booking service which is quite good. If you want to see any GP (usually about 12 yrs old & just out of nappies) you can get an appointment within a couple of days. Longer if you want to see a specific GP. There is also space to put in a short description of what's wrong (this gives them time to google what's wrong before you get there) Srangely you can book nurse appointments for blood tests which I always thought needed a form from doc to say what test to do but not diabetic nurse. We can also get telephone consultations, though I sometimes think that a face to face is necessary as the way you look can tell them a lot.

Reactions: 3 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Our surgery has an online booking service which is quite good. If you want to see any GP (usually about 12 yrs old & just out of nappies) you can get an appointment within a couple of days. Longer if you want to see a specific GP. There is also space to put in a short description of what's wrong (this gives them time to google what's wrong before you get there) Srangely you can book nurse appointments for blood tests which I always thought needed a form from doc to say what test to do but not diabetic nurse. We can also get telephone consultations, though I sometimes think that a face to face is necessary as the way you look can tell them a lot.
That just about sums up most surgeries, I'm still laughing