Has anyone ever done a DIY glucose tolerance test and is it possible to do so?

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I have never tried to self administer a OGT test. I did have a doctor administered one when first being investigated for diabetes. Fasting BG measured, dose of oral liquid glucose then BGs checked by IV blood samples every 30 min for 2 hours. The results were explained to me that my beta cells showed an abnormal response to the ingested glucose, but that further different tests would be needed to confirm WHY my beta cells were not functioning. There was never any suggestion that it would be worth repeating the OGTT.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some years before I was diagnosed my bg was a bit high at a routine examination and the doctor decided to do an OGTT. They had to scrape together the Lucozade from several nearly empty and flat bottles. After I downed this very nasty mixture, I was told to come back in 2 hours, so I went and did some shopping. The test was "negative" so no more was said. It was only after I was diagnosed years later I discovered that you are supposed to sit quietly for the 2 hours so the test was probably invalid. I don't think they normally do the test now outside of a hospital environment due to the difficulty of doing them properly. Especially at the moment they don't want people sitting around in the waiting room for hours.

Reactions: oldgreymare