Has anyone had this happen?

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hoping you are ok now hypos are a nasty thing!!

Ha I'm fine thanks for asking.

Dropped lower than I would have liked a couple of times this week.

Such is life with intensive insulin therapy though.:)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree, with modern insulin pens injecting in public discreetly isn't really an issue, it is easily done and dusted in seconds. I would expect other insulin dependant people to have some decorum and inject as discreetly as possible. However there is always a chance of some one being offended, the 'arrgh disgusting' sounds like an off the cuff without thinking remark - they didn't think before opening their mouth, give them the benefit of doubt and just move on :angelic:.

Testing blood Glucose with a normal meter is however a different story, yes if you're sat at a table you can do this on your lap out of sight but it ain't half fiddly and awkward to do! Especially just as you're about to blob the blood on the strip and the meter decides to slide off your leg and errors with not enough of a blood sample, but by then it's clattered across the floor towards the next table - very discreet! :shifty::)

Reactions: Dodo

KenBachelor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
After 60 years I've never experienced any problem, although 1 girl did say she would never do that in public. On the subject of testing I've now purchased a FreeStyle Libre and although it's very expensive at about £4 a day, I can thoroughly recommend it for use when one's away on holiday.

Sabina81

I know how you feel hun. You know you need to inject but when you're out and about especially in London there are no bathrooms or discreet areas to inject. One time my parents shielded me whilst I was injecting so that I didn't offend anyone! After this incident I thought it would be easier to use a pump. I'd prefer if someone would ask me questions or even talk to them about what I was doing...people find it easier to stare and judge rather than find out the truth!

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
When I had my lunch earlier I was waiting for my mum to bring it over and I sorted out my insulin pen and needle and this girl looked at me, gagged and called me disgusting. I was nearly in tears, this hasn't happened to me before, I was only saving my life by injecting myself, now im self-conscious again over it. Has anyone had this happen and what did you do about it?
She's the problem - not you. Lack of understanding is unfortunately the root of the problem. Sad really to be so blinkered and to make a snap decision without knowing the facts.

Reactions: azure

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had type 1 for over 30 years. I inject discreetly in public; I don't really want other people to see what I'm doing, and I also have considerable sympathy for those who don't want to see it. My husband was seriously needle phobic and in 30 years never once saw me inject; he may well have fainted if he had (over 6 feet and broad shouldered, I wouldn't have been picking him up off the floor :happy:). I can remember years ago before I had diabetes seeing someone inject in their arm in a motorway service station restaurant and being quite shocked; not upset and I certainly didn't say anything, simply taken aback. If I'm with a group of people and I'm not sure if I can be seen injecting, I simply ask that any needle phobes 'look away now' and it's taken in good part.
I think it's a lot to expect everyone else in the world to understand diabetes. I don't understand the first thing about a lot of other long term conditions or what people have to do to manage them. Whilst I hope I'd never offend anyone with something I said or did, I know from friends with other conditions that they face unthinking, unintended potentially hurtful reactions or statements. So I'm happy to cut people some slack if they don't know what's happening and react unkindly; it's often because they simply have the same reaction as I did so I just explain. I do though think it's over the top to say that what the OP was doing is disgusting, and I understand being upset by that. I'd just prefer us all to be more tolerant.

stonyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree, with modern insulin pens injecting in public discreetly isn't really an issue, ............:angelic:.

Testing blood Glucose with a normal meter is however a different story, yes if you're sat at a table you can do this on your lap out of sight but it ain't half fiddly and awkward to do! Especially just as you're about to blob the blood on the strip and the meter decides to slide off your leg and errors with not enough of a blood sample, but by then it's clattered across the floor towards the next table - very discreet! :shifty::)

As Slip says - testing a far bigger problem (and is a metaphorical PIA)

I've had type 1 for over 30 years. I inject discreetly in public; I don't really want other people to see what I'm doing, and I also have considerable sympathy for those who don't want to see it. My husband was seriously needle phobic and in 30 years never once saw me inject; he may well have fainted if he had (over 6 feet and broad shouldered, I wouldn't have been picking him up off the floor :happy:). I can remember years ago before I had diabetes seeing someone inject in their arm in a motorway service station restaurant and being quite shocked; not upset and I certainly didn't say anything, simply taken aback. If I'm with a group of people and I'm not sure if I can be seen injecting, I simply ask that any needle phobes 'look away now' and it's taken in good part.
I think it's a lot to expect everyone else in the world to understand diabetes. I don't understand the first thing about a lot of other long term conditions or what people have to do to manage them. Whilst I hope I'd never offend anyone with something I said or did, I know from friends with other conditions that they face unthinking, unintended potentially hurtful reactions or statements. So I'm happy to cut people some slack if they don't know what's happening and react unkindly; it's often because they simply have the same reaction as I did so I just explain. I do though think it's over the top to say that what the OP was doing is disgusting, and I understand being upset by that. I'd just prefer us all to be more tolerant.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 in 1996. Have been on insulin injections, (by choice), since 1998. I was a social worker until I retired in 2011. At my last job as a social worker with the mentally Ill, I was at my desk injecting my insulin at lunchtime when one of my male colleagues, another social worker in his 60s, made a complaint about my injecting. I made another complaint in return and was supported by my union. I still feel so angry about him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dodo and Bon83

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So today I've been to Gullivers Kingdom in Matlock ( it's a kids amusement park) .
Me, wife, daughter, granddaughter, grandson and granddaughters friend from school who I only met today.
11.30 picnic time. Well I managed blood test unnoticed but injection was not going to be so easy. Wife, daughter and grandkids don't even bat an eyelid with what I have to do, I don't hide it, it's what I am. BUT a little 5 yr old girl who has only known me for a few hours?????????
Me and this young lady were getting on great and she insisted on sitting next to me, granddaughter one side , new found friend other side. Grandson sat with nanna and mummy ( they have better boobs, he's only 3)
So injection time. What to do? Explained to new friend that I had to have special medicine. ( won't go into granddaughters response at this point, that's another tale for another day)
This young 5 yr old was fascinated, asked every question possible, even counted to 10 whilst I injected and then scrutinised injection site to look for hole and blood.
It was a great moment for me, and hopefully at least one more person will understand.
There again I could have gone and done all this in the toilets.
Diabetic, proud and today very happy.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So today I've been to Gullivers Kingdom in Matlock ( it's a kids amusement park) .
Me, wife, daughter, granddaughter, grandson and granddaughters friend from school who I only met today.
11.30 picnic time. Well I managed blood test unnoticed but injection was not going to be so easy. Wife, daughter and grandkids don't even bat an eyelid with what I have to do, I don't hide it, it's what I am. BUT a little 5 yr old girl who has only known me for a few hours?????????
Me and this young lady were getting on great and she insisted on sitting next to me, granddaughter one side , new found friend other side. Grandson sat with nanna and mummy ( they have better boobs, he's only 3)
So injection time. What to do? Explained to new friend that I had to have special medicine. ( won't go into granddaughters response at this point, that's another tale for another day)
This young 5 yr old was fascinated, asked every question possible, even counted to 10 whilst I injected and then scrutinised injection site to look for hole and blood.
It was a great moment for me, and hopefully at least one more person will understand.
That's just brilliant, well done both of you! Children are often fascinated by things like this; grab 'em young, I say!

Reactions: Sharon14448

Sarebear86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This! Just this! Children are so curious and accepting, it's usually adults that are the problem:(

Susan1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I had my lunch earlier I was waiting for my mum to bring it over and I sorted out my insulin pen and needle and this girl looked at me, gagged and called me disgusting. I was nearly in tears, this hasn't happened to me before, I was only saving my life by injecting myself, now im self-conscious again over it. Has anyone had this happen and what did you do about it?
There are a lot of ignorant people out there - and a lot of thoughtless ones. My sister lives in the US. Recently she came over for a visit and she told me that she was 'disgusted' when the guy across from her on the plane got out a needle and injected into his stomach. She said it wasn't something that he should have done in public. Well...I am insulin dependant and inject 4 times a day. But she didn't seem to remember that...! I couldn't believe her thoughtlessness and was really annoyed but said nothing. Just goes to show how some people don't even think how offensive THEY are being to other people in their words and actions. What was the guy supposed to do when he was 3000 feet in the air?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Interesting thread.

Has anyone ever fronted these people up and politely asked them something along the lines of, "well, I'm sorry about that, mate, but I'm diabetic so need to inject. Just so I can understand your position, can you tell me which bit of it you find disgusting and why? You're a grown adult so why does me flipping my t-shirt up a few inches for a few seconds bother you?"

I imagine most will just say, oops, sorry, didn't realise. People who mouth off are usually cowards when you ask them to explain.

But then there'll be the nutters who'll get all aggressive about it and their argument will boil down to nothing more than, erm, well, it just is, isn't it.

Depending on my mood at the time, I'd either just walk away and ignore it, or go ballistic. Depends also on whether he looks like he's done some prison time or not - will stand my ground but not if there's a chance of me getting beaten to a pulp - judgement calls!

I think the lippy ones are the same insecure half-wits who mouth off about breast feeding in public.

Maybe it's something to do with an inate fear of illness. Most people at some level, conscious or sub-conscious, worry about getting ill. Maybe seeing us inject just takes them into a place where they are confronted with the reality of illness, and they don't like being that close to the reality of it - it makes sub-conscious fears too real and there and now and in their face.

I'm not trying to justify the behaviour of these tubes at all, far from it, but I recall a few occasions where I've been at hospital for a checkup and seen some seriously ill people being wheeled around, and, to be honest, seeing the brutality of what illness can do to people has left me...what's the right word?...unsettled.

So, they're maybe saying they're "disgusted", but what they mean is that they're actually "scared" as it reminds them of the tenuous uncertain nature of their own mortality.

Sorry, that's too elaborate an excuse for them - they're probably just tubes who like mouthing off until they settle down to watch the next episode of Jeremy Kyle.

Anyone who's played GTA V might recall one of the (hysterically funny) talk radio phone in contributors - "I don't need to know about something to have an opinion on it!" I think there's a bit of that going on with these guys.

I've only had something like that happen to me once. Pre-pen days, was picking up a script, pharmacist holds up the box of BD syringes, asks as a check, "are these your usual syringes", elderly guy behind me says, "bloody junkie!". He was in his eighties, so I let it go.

That's the only time in 29 years of this I've had any comment. I think that any newbies who are anxious about public injecting should take comfort from the fact that things like this are blindingly rare, and the contrary is true: staff in my local bar know I'm T1 and have said, look, man, if you're dropping and run out of sweets, just wave and we'll get you some apple juice or grab those Tunnocks wafers on the bar, no charge, likes. Never gets that far (they don't know I carry a sweet shop in my pockets!), but it's good to know that the vast majority of people out there are good people who will help me, not like the tube the OP dealt with.