Has anyone had this happen?

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The original poster was called disgusting for using an insulin pen (which I think it's hard to be offensive with really). I don't think being upset by that was an over reaction. Nobody has the right to call someone that in a public place.

Not really..

People associate injecting with drug use.

Many people are made uncomfortable by injections and have issues with it, yes people may find injecting whilst others are eating disgusting.

Ergo..

If you're in a public place and choose to inject yourself you have to be prepared for a negative reaction.

Nature of the beast I'm afraid.

It certainly doesn't warrant a television show and a protest against "ignorance" as suggested above.

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There needs to be a tv program about this to get the message out there and prevent it happening again to anyone. We all need to fight this ignorance.

A TV programme about the modern phenomenon of the individual thinking that the world revolves around them and that every member of society should understand them, accommodating them at all times?

Reactions: slikwipman

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A TV programme about the modern phenomenon of the individual thinking that the world revolves around them and that every member of society should understand them, accommodating them at all times?

It's not to do with "accommodating" people. This was a person who, apparently, nosed at someone else's business and made an unwanted and ill-informed comment.

Sarebear86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Surely that's your argument too? Thinking that the world should revolve around the people who have the problem? Accommodating those who don't understand? My point is there shouldn't be a problem, to us it is just an injection, just a normal daily thing because we are used to it and if we educate other people, via media and in public, it will become less taboo and no longer be associated with illegal drug use. It's all about education, and not just about diabetes, about lots of other diseases and disabilities that people judge and make rude comments on.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@buckley8219 . Full credit to you using a toilet to inject.
Toilets....... a room where people defecate and urinate.
I've balanced vials of insulin on toilet cisterns whilst injecting in a small enclosed cubicle, trying to avoid touching anything as I'm not sure when the last time this particular toilet was cleaned.
Pens have been a godsend, so much easier can load the pen and not have to worry about being contaminated with other people's by-products. So why do I still inject at a restaurant table?
Well as I said earlier. Toilets....... for defecating and urinating.
Until someone comes up with a insulin injection room and an acceptable level of hygiene I will continue to inject where I see fit.
It's a big world, only curiosity will make anyone look at me injecting.

Reactions: Sharon14448

whitesnake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
She is just another ignorant person who is not worth you getting upset about just ignore them kind of idiots and carry on keeping yourself well. I have been on a pump for 2years now but injected for 26years I used to do it wherever I was at the time it keeps me alive so I did not care what other idiots thought.

HarryB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm very sorry this happened to you, I've never had an experience quite like that. Of course I get the usual stares and looks and perhaps the odd question or same old joke about it but never has anyone said anything like that to me.

A friend of mine however had an altercation like this. She was in a restaurant and was taking her insulin, a woman sitting nearby came over and asked her to leave as she didn't want her children to see this. My friend wasn't too happy with this and proceeded to say, "excuse me for having diabetes and having to inject myself whenever I eat, I'm sorry that offends you. But no I will not go somewhere else to do this" she then went on to say "if I had cancer and was undergoing chemo and my hair fell out would you ask me to wear a hat, or if I was an amputee would you ask me to hide it?" The woman of course was taken aback, but she wasn't finished yet. "Now I'll ask you to take your ignorance and leave, also maybe you should try and hide your ignorance from your kids, it might rub off on them"

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you just have to rise above it and don't pay them any heed. That person is not worth your time or thought!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When I had my lunch earlier I was waiting for my mum to bring it over and I sorted out my insulin pen and needle and this girl looked at me, gagged and called me disgusting. I was nearly in tears, this hasn't happened to me before, I was only saving my life by injecting myself, now im self-conscious again over it. Has anyone had this happen and what did you do about it?
Alex, people like that exist in all walks of life. Had you not been injecting the girl would have found something else to laugh at like how you ate, the colour of your hair or the shoes you were wearing. Hopefully, a cure will be found for your diabetes but there is no cure for her mean heart. Keep taking care of yourself and hold your head high. For every person that is mean like this, there is a million good people who support you x

Opal555

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
People can be horrible, you just keep on injecting and managing your diabetes well. :)
I inject wherever I am, it's so important that I don't care about others sensibilities when it comes to it I'm afraid! With the modern pens you can barely even see a needle.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I happen to have a fully functional pair of legs.. However, I'm grateful to architects & building developers installing wheelchair ramps (thanks to a certain equality act.) when dropping off something that requires a set of trucks to move it..

When I had my lunch earlier I was waiting for my mum to bring it over and I sorted out my insulin pen and needle and this girl looked at me, gagged and called me disgusting. I was nearly in tears, this hasn't happened to me before, I was only saving my life by injecting myself, now im self-conscious again over it. Has anyone had this happen and what did you do about it?

@Alex_B ,this "girl" actually may have liked you... Sometimes people can do some weird clumsy stuff in an attempt to "attract" your attention.... ;)

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I had a 5/6 year old girl ask "Mummy, what's she doing?" while injecting, and the woman went "Don't look darling, its nasty". Didn't quite get where she was coming from (objection to drugs? or the needle?). I said to the little girl "My body doesn't make insulin, so I have to inject it" She was fine, but the mother gave me filthy looks until they left.

The only time I pre-warn people is on an airplane, because if you did have a needle phobia suddenly seeing the person jammed in next to you inject would be rough. Only come across one, and he was happy enough to know when to look away.

Redvee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm always injecting in public but try and be discreet if possible by using the table as cover etc but I've never had any experiences like the OP had. I was on holiday in Spain last year on the beach and a girl next to me sat up and injected herself and it was all over in a few seconds though when you're the one doing the injecting it feels like it takes forever.

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Hi just ignore it. There are too many dumb people in the world to bother with. In fact that silly girl was probably afraid of needles blood and all that medical stuff and just had a quick stupid response. Laugh in her face next time . Or don't make eye contact . Don't be near tears. Toughen up ? When I was at school one hated teacher did give me something good to remember.
The Latin motto ' Nil Illegitimi Carborundum' which means '' Dont let the B****rds wear you down !!'

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dodo

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
McDonalds is famous for low behaviour ! Take a look on youtube at the awful things the customers get up to on occasion ! Perhaps another burger chain would be better ? [Just joking !]

Jools_Carling

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I got fed up of grubbing about in loos and the like at the start and eventually developed the most discreet way to "jab". No issue in company of friends. After several disappointing incidents with others I meet ignorance with humour. Depending how po faced or assuming they are, well - you get the idea. Don't let other people's ignorance get you down - you are not their excuse.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not really..

People associate injecting with drug use.

Many people are made uncomfortable by injections and have issues with it, yes people may find injecting whilst others are eating disgusting.

Ergo..

If you're in a public place and choose to inject yourself you have to be prepared for a negative reaction.

Nature of the beast I'm afraid.

It certainly doesn't warrant a television show and a protest against "ignorance" as suggested above.
I understand you feel the need to accommodate the feelings of the people who don't like things that 'offend them' but, it isn't really necessary. The girl who called someone disgusting is obviously just a little ***** and probably says stuff to people all the time - she may grow up she may not? The ones who think your taking drugs...when you explain your diabetic it's insulin they probably will look sheepish and sloap off. If you are afraid of needles then look away. Ignorance can be cured by education and yes tv programmes and school programmes provide that. It's not being some militant diabetic just wanting to inject insulin with something you'd have a hard time even seeing unless you looked pretty hard.

Sjh31

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This has happened to me, going back about 2 years ago. I was in Costa with friends and got my pen out to do my insulin. There was an older couple sitting across from us and the look of sheer disgust at what I was doing from them. To be honest I just laughed it off. You can't let it get to you, you are doing what needs to be done xx

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand you feel the need to accommodate the feelings of the people who don't like things that 'offend them' but, it isn't really necessary. The girl who called someone disgusting is obviously just a little ***** and probably says stuff to people all the time - she may grow up she may not? The ones who think your taking drugs...when you explain your diabetic it's insulin they probably will look sheepish and sloap off. If you are afraid of needles then look away. Ignorance can be cured by education and yes tv programmes and school programmes provide that. It's not being some militant diabetic just wanting to inject insulin with something you'd have a hard time even seeing unless you looked pretty hard.

I was actually having a hypo when I wrote most of my responses ha, so they probably come across as more harsh than intended.

My point is. It's very, very easy to be discreet. I do inject in public but it's so easy to be discreet with modern equipment that I've never had people notice.

Injecting in restaurants etc openly, it's likely you may get a negative reaction. So don't be surprised and on the verge of tears when it happens.

I gave myself a correction shot in a meeting room last week as my cannula had gone bad, had the pen in my pocket as I always do and nobody in the room noticed.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was actually having a hypo when I wrote most of my responses ha, so they probably come across as more harsh than intended.

My point is. It's very, very easy to be discreet. I do inject in public but it's so easy to be discreet with modern equipment that I've never had people notice.

Injecting in restaurants etc openly, it's likely you may get a negative reaction. So don't be surprised and on the verge of tears when it happens.

I gave myself a correction shot in a meeting room last week as my cannula had gone bad, had the pen in my pocket as I always do and nobody in the room noticed.
Hoping you are ok now hypos are a nasty thing!!

Sharon14448

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sad to hear that. When I have to nip into the restroom to inject it always makes it feel like something dirty so I now try to inject discreetly in public. Not easy to do as it feels embrassing but better than feeling dirty.
Some people seem to over react without thinking!!!! Education is required for those few

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app