Has anyone had to alter their basal rates/profile during lockdown?

Oxyinnes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey everyone,

Another question I'm looking for advice with :)

Has anyone had to change their basal rates during lockdown? I'm on the Accu check insight pump :)

I've had to change mine during the hours of 06:00am -12:00pm and 12:00-20:00.

I'm usually on a flat rate of 0.88/u/h. For the timeblock of 06:00am -12:00pm I've changed to 0.93 u/h and 12:00-20:00 changed to 0.91 u/h.

I've purely done this due to being 'less active' and working from home- therefore not moving around much- and my sugars have been slightly higher than usual.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced issues since being in lockdown?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also had to up my basal at least at the beginning - I think it was less exercise and the stress of a change of routine.
Its back to normal now cos I'm enjoying lockdown now, I'm working from home and I'm an introvert so am happy being on my own not having to deal with people (and not having to commute) - and I'm also trying to get out for a bit of walking each lunchtime (possibly slightly more than I could at the office)

Reactions: Oxyinnes

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on MDI, but yes, my basal went up by quite a bit throughout April and May, settled in June and I'm beginning to edge it back down again. I suspect it was a combination of suddenly leading a far less active life, a nasty abscess infection, and putting on some weight in the first two months. Now I'm getting back to normal activity/exercise levels and the weight is coming off, I'm hoping to be returning to pre-lockdown basal levels by the time I'm back at work in September.

Reactions: Oxyinnes

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've kept the same basal rate but am using less fast acting and eating 60g carbs a day less too.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’m on MDI, my Basel’s Levemir.
My basal rates change throughout the year, and yes, they were higher during the early days of lockdown than they are now; they’re still one and a half units per 24 hours more than is usual for this time of year. I think that’s down to less exercise, the background stress of wondering if life will ever be the same again and less reason to walk the long way into town, or to the bus stop with my bus pass for a trek round a different place. The back garden, despite the weeding, planting, long walk up and down with the hose, etc etc just isn’t the same!